Scar treatment question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

valerie415

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
I'm 3 weeks post op now, and I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be doing to the incision at this point to help it not be a big bad scar. Is it too early to put anything on it? I read something about Manuka honey for healing. Does anybody have any advice what to put on, and when, in order to help the scar to be less? Is that something that comes much later?

Val, they told me not to put anything on it - Vit. E or anything - until later on. I don't remember what "later on" was though - might have been 3 months, might have been a year. I can't remember... Hopefully someone else will remember when it's ok, but we've had a couple threads already on this topic, and they don't want you to put anything on it yet. When you do start putting vit. E on it later on, the key is to massage it in really well. That's all I remember as I haven't gotten to that point yet either. In the meantime, keep it out of the sun so it doesn't turn dark. I'll post a pic of my tanline later on, lol. Pretty funny looking!

Hi Valerie, I used Vitamin E capsules and they work excellently! I'd poke a pin on one end of each capsule and rub the oil on the scar. The scar faded notably within a month or two! Best wishes, ~Karen

Hi, Valerie! My surgeon and cardio didn't say anything one way or the other. I talked to my neuro, though, because I experienced some nerve damage from the incisions. She told me that once the incision site was completely sealed, with no inflamation or scabbing, I could start using Mederma. For me, I think that happened around 4-6 weeks. Mederma seems to be helping some with nerve restoration, and making a big difference in the appearance of my scars!

I used Mederma, too, for nearly 6 months, as many times a day (3) as I could remember to do it.
My scar is gorgeous.
But you do have to wait until there's no inflamation or scabbing. That DOES NOT mean you have to wait until it's not pink, 'cause it will be pink for months.

I have used Aloe Vera 99% skin moisturiser since I got home from hospital. The only thing clearly to be seen is the white line which I am told will go in time. I do sunbathe too and this has helped enormously. I doubt that any scar will disappear completely on my old 65 year old skin! You need to use a high factor sun cream on the middle of the scar, I use 8 at present but did use higher at first, this was on medical advice.

Manuka honey is used to help heal open wounds, not to improve the appearance of an otherwise-healthy scar. I would check with your doc before using anything; if it's only its appearance you're concerned about I'd just wait a bit.

Scar Treatment

Scar Treatment

I purchased Mederma with the intention of using it on my scar, but I never got around to using it much. I know others who have used Vitiamin E oil on scars with success. My scar really isn't noticiable unless I spend time in the sun without a shirt. The scar doesn't tan so it stays light while the rest of me gets dark. I kinda stopped being selfconscious about it.

-Philip

Luana said exactly what my surgeon told me. In fact, he said that applying anything to the skin during the early weeks can even make the scar worse. He did say that usually there is no problem treating the skin after six weeks but one should stop immediately if a substance causes any - even the slightest - irritation. If you want to know what your scar will look like in the future, look at any you have that are already healed; your chest scar will probably be very similar to that without any medications.

Here is mine.

Larry

don't bother it right now. Then ask your dr's advice. I used vitamin E ointment. didn't seem to really change anything, tho. After 10 1/2 yrs, it's hardly noticeable.

Hi Valeria,

I had surgery just over one year ago. I ended up having a wide scar on top and a hypertrophic scar in the last 1-1/2 inches. At the time I was told to wait eight weeks before putting anything on it then I used silicone strips. I ended up recently seeing a plastic surgeon who is in the process of revising my scar. What she has done so far has been fantastic. She has removed the hypertrophic area and restitched me and injected some steroid. After one week she had me use a product called wound be gone because it helps during the "inflammation" stage for a total of two weeks. Now at three weeks out she has me using silicone strips. I am healing very well and the incision looks great. I did not expect this in a million years, but they took a picture of the scar and submitted it for me to my insurance, my insurance is paying. Good luck!

Like others said.. wait until it's healed and then Vitamin E.. I used the liquid kind in a bottle.. my scar looks great for having 3 surgeries and I used it each time =)

Latest posts

Back