Scar redness

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rvrkumar

Hi,

I just noticed that my scar became slightly elevated and red in parts. I am almost 6 weeks post-op. It is a bit itchy also. Do any of you saw similar thing? Is this an infection. Should I call the surgeon immediately.

-Kuma

uhmm, the itchiness would be a sign of healing, the redness and having it slightly raised could be a sign of scaring - forget the fancy name for it.....keloide???

But when in doubt call your doctor in the morning.

Ya, what those folks said. I had itchiness -- ranging from "more than normal" to "holy cow" -- off and on for maybe 3-4 months post-op. Pretty long gone now at 10 months. AFAICT it just happened, and it just stopped happening, not associated with anything else or anything worrisome.

My scar has almost vanished for the top part, but is redder, more raised, and bumpier at the bottom part. Fortunately for me, the more prominent part is recessed between my pecs and buried/camoflaged in curly chest hair, so the whole thing is pretty subtle. I know its there, but I don't have to care. . .

Met surgeon today for 6 week post-op follow-up. He doesn't seem to be concerned at all. He said it will go away soon.

Your scar sounds much like mine at six weeks. By six months most of the color had faded and for the most part I felt the scar as a little depression except for one bump somewhat smaller than a dime. At two years, my scar has no color and no unusual sensation, although, the one bump is still there.

About three months after the AVR, however, I developed costochondritis. This is an inflamation of the cartiledge that connects the ribs to the edge of the sternum. It is a condition in adults more commonly associated with football players who get "thumped" in the chest. It makes that area painful and for me there is also swelling but usually no redness. The sensation, however, is clearly to the side of the sternum not at the chest scar.

You might actually do better to speak with your family doctor about the sensitivity around your scar. My experience with my own excellent surgeon was that he was less interested in the aftermath as long as the valve was working well. My family doctor was much more helpful.

Larry

Does not sound like a reason for alarm. My scar healed such that 1/2 is a thin line but the other half is raised, red and itchy. Weird but common. I hope yours clear us. Mine has stayed the same for 2 years. The raised, red area (AKA keloid) can be treated with steroid injections if it persists. Some get good results. Others don't. I chose to just let it be.

Three years have passed since my AVR and my scar looks pretty good. 2/3rds of it is not even visible. The only part in the bottom third which is red and does get a little itchy in hot weather, but a little baby powder seems to calm it down, so unless you feel truly bothered by it, just go with the flow.

I'm 7 months out and my scar is purple, itchy, bumpy and ugly. My Cardo referred me to a dermatologist. I have my first appointment tomorrow. He said I needed shots in my incision to help it heal...yikes!!!!!! Anyone else had those?

cArol

Latest posts

Back