RRRRRRR- no BM, no discharge

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just tell him to keep eating and eating. It took 'till about day 4 for me. I couldn't believe how much I'd eaten on days 1-3 and still nothing, but I just kept eating and finally it happened. I think it's because they clean you out so well right before surgery. Takes a while for things to get going again. Hang in there, I'm sure it'll happen soon. Physics and gravity say so ;) Assuming he's eating well of course.

I agree with the poster above (don't remember who) said they never heard of 'cleaning out' prior to heart surgery. Not for me either of my OHS.

Good Cleaning?

Good Cleaning?

Other than being told not to eat anything past a certain time the night before surgery, I received nothing to clean me out before surgery. The way they expalined the B.M. issue to me was that the meds they use during surgery simply shut things down. It just takes some time to get the system back up and running.

-Philip

I agree with the poster above (don't remember who) said they never heard of 'cleaning out' prior to heart surgery. Not for me either of my OHS.

I just assumed my experience was the norm. They gave me some clear liquid to drink (don't remember the name) and told me to be near a toilet within an hour or two after drinking it. It did a good job at what it was supposed to do. But maybe my hospital is more of an exception than a rule.

Yeah and once it does, get OUTTA THE WAY!
I don't want to name names about this on a public forum,and I don't want to embarrass him- even tho at the time he was quite proud of himself :)but someone VERY close to me, had just gotten weighed and a few min later had to go. well he was so impressed, that he went and asked the nurse to reweigh him and he lost over 2 pounds.

ps Neither my Mom nor Justin were ever given something before their OHS surgeries to empty them either.

I ate a grapefruit. Worked like a charm. I still do it here at home since I have IBS. Works everytime for me, usually in about 4-5 hours. Good luck and I hope you get to go home soon!!!

poor boy! and poor you

this does bring back bad memories for me - morphine and iron bind and bind and bind

took me 5 days and then did not get better (even with colace etc)

the warm prune juice with some OJ and butter - did work - although I ended up taking it regularly the first couple of weeks! and I have had trouble (both ways) ever since

Didn't mean to bring up painful memories for some of you. Although Bill sounds like he enjoyed those suppositories. :) Well, it finally happened last night. Now, we are back in our hotel room, where we will stay for the next two days before leaving Baltimore on Thursday. Now that he has made it through his surgery, let's hope I don't put a pillow over his face after two days cooped up in a room together.

Yep, I'm sure my hubby wanted to smother me a time or five after my surgery. He's thinking about it now, too....Patientzilla!!!

Three Cheers for going HOME!

Didn't mean to bring up painful memories for some of you. Although Bill sounds like he enjoyed those suppositories. :) Well, it finally happened last night. Now, we are back in our hotel room, where we will stay for the next two days before leaving Baltimore on Thursday. Now that he has made it through his surgery, let's hope I don't put a pillow over his face after two days cooped up in a room together.

Whats the weather like there? It got much cooler here yesterday which is such a relief after all that heat and humidity. Is your hotel in a nice area to walk around? Hopefully you can get out and walk often and then he will be tired and take a nap :) That worked for me alot
Have you decided if you are going to break the long ride home up into 2 days?

Thanks, Jim. I enjoyed reading your journal on Caring Bridge. Helps me know what to expect with Colin.

Hi Lyn, Colin has been asleep now since we got back to the room. Over two hours! It is very hilly around the hotel, but I do need to push him to walk a bit later and use his spyrometer, or whatever it is called. It is just beautiful here today. Question for you-I need to go to Walgreens for one of his scripts and to the store for some fruit for him. Do you think I can leave him alone for little bits at a time? He seems to be OK to get up. If I do leave him, should I tell him not to get up until I get back. I know you will know what I should do. Not sure if we will do the trip over two days or not. We will play it by ear and if he feels like he needs to stop, I will just go to the nearest hotel. At this point, who cares what the cost is, right? :)

You are so right, Dave. It is like taking your life into your hands near the hospital. First time I ever came here, we stayed at a hotel directly across the street from the hospital. It is no longer there. I remember the desk clerk telling me to take a cab to the hospital. I mean, I could see the building we had to walk to across the street. She said it would be safer to take the cab there. :)

Haha. Obviously you have never been to Baltimore/Hopkins. :)

Actually we go there pretty often, The Os were Justin's favorite team when he was little and we'd go down for a couple games each season. Some places we stayed by the Inner harbor were easy and nice to walk around, other places a little further out, I would prefer to stay in my car to get around. We stayed at a Hotel right by Hopkin once But I can't remeber which one it was.

I don't know how Colin is feeling, but Justin was fine alone for a little while even his first couple days home.

You are so right, Dave. It is like taking your life into your hands near the hospital. First time I ever came here, we stayed at a hotel directly across the street from the hospital. It is no longer there. I remember the desk clerk telling me to take a cab to the hospital. I mean, I could see the building we had to walk to across the street. She said it would be safer to take the cab there. :)

That is why we stay closer to the Inner Harbor

Barb,

Something else that works as a laxative (if you need to know later) is apple juice. Also, for many people, there's a laxative effect to any artificial sweetener ending in "-tol". Mannitol, sorbitol, xylotol, etc. The last I knew, many sugar free hard candies and some sugar free chocolate were sweetened with the "-tols".

Safe travels on your way home,

Marcia

Back