riding in a car?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kars

I am reading these threads on post-op issues, preparing myself, and wondering how soon people were comfortable riding in a car for 3, 4 hours?
What was most difficult, the bumps, the sitting?
Tim

The ride wasn't difficult for me. I fear of something terrible happening like a car accident. Just make sure you're gear up wearing a helmet and sitting in the back seat.

Yes - back seat is important. Although the sternum is tightly wired together, it has far less than its original resistance to crushing, to you DO NOT want any chance of an air bag going off against it. I sat in the back seat with my cough pillow between the seatbelt and my chest, and for my short 40-minute ride I did just fine.

I took about an hour ride (back seat of course) 5 days post surgery. I didn't have a pillow but held the belt off of my chest when necessary/ I had no discomfort with the ride at all.

When I didn't want to play pampered celebrity in the back seat
we got a pillow THEN >>>
shoulder%20strap.jpg
http://www.completesheepshoppe.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=31 and still use it today

I rode with a pillow between seat belt and me for about 3 weeks. After that I was okay with the belt only.

When I went back to driving, I put a small pillow between the seat belt & my chest. Prior ro that, the longest ride I had was about 60 minutes, between Dallas & Fort Worth TX.
About 2-3 weeks after John's MV repair, we took a weekend trip about 2 hours south of our house. He had a surgical complication (very minor) of lymphedema, which caused some swelling in his left leg. So we had to stop a few times during that 2-hour drive both ways so he could walk around. He sat in the back seat and propped his leg up. No way to tell how he would have been on the ride w/out the lymphedema.
I would definitely sit in the back seat for the first 4-6 weeks post-op. You do not want to have an airbag going off, causing deceleration trauma and fracturing your sternum, at the least, or injuring your heart, at the worst. If it's going to happen, let it do so once you're totally healed.

Last edited:
I've got the same issue. I have a 2 hr drive after my AVR & root surgery. I talked to the cardiologist at Cleveland Clinic & all I can add is he said it was pretty routine people driving back home from the surrounding states or flying after AVRs & OHS. I'm also planning to stay at the CC guesthouse for a couple days more after they let me out of the joint, that's just because it makes me feel more fuzzy about the situation
Daiva.

Tim, I took no longer trips for several weeks post surgery, however, when I did, my problem was with the shoulder strap. It wasn't painful but over time it irritated my chest and left me constantly uncomfortable. My friend, Susan, made me a simple pillow to fend off the shoulder strap. It is 5" wide x 10" long and is stuffed with a light fluffy material. Larger pillows got in the way of driving but this one was a good fit. I still keep it handy because once in awhile the shoulder strap still bothers me a little. If you wish, I can send a photo.

Larry

Latest posts

Back