Resting Pulse and BAV

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumpy

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just had a Holter yesterday due to some palpitations and double vision. I have been running every second day since January and the training had been going really well. I've always had a low resting heart rate (low 50's) but I had a week where I had major palpitations and three episodes of double vision. I've taken my heart rate recently when I didn't feel "right" and it has been in the mid to high 40's. Can a pulse be too low? I have mild stenosis and moderate Aortic Regurgitation. Awaiting the results of the Echo and Holter.

Hi,

My pulse is also low usually 48-52. I get heaps of pulpitations, missed beats and periods of AF, and have been told not to worry about it. When it's really bad I take beta bloc for a few weeks/months which helps somewhat. But, they are never too far from the surface.

I hope this helps.

Cheers.

Phil.

Jumpy,

I had a low resting heart rate for many years before my valve surgery. I had also been a runner for 30+ years, so we just attributed the low rate to general good cardio health.

Then once my valve was replaced, all *$)@( broke loose. My heart rate did everything it wasn't supposed to do - extra beats, skipped beats, super fast (tachycardia), super slow (bradycardia), then it just stopped several times for 15-20 seconds at a time. Try as we might, the doc's couldn't get my heart regulated, and I ended up with a pacemaker. My electrophysiologist (pacemaker doc) believes that all the time before surgery I had bradycardia (unusually slow heart rate) but I was in such good shape I had no symptoms from it. BTW - I also had a bicuspid aortic valve that became stenotic.

I'm telling you all this to say that your heart rate may be like mine was. As long as you have few to no symptoms, they will often just watch it for a while. When you have surgery, though, the electronic pathways of your heart may become irritated or damaged, and you may have rhythm issues after surgery. Not to worry - if they can't fix them one way then the other way is a pacemaker. Either way, your valve will be fixed and you can go on with life.

P.S. I don't mean this post to sound too negative. On the contrary, at least for me all is well. I'm back to the gym 5 days a week.

Can a pulse be too low?

I've read through a number of valve related Cleveland Clinic webchat transcripts, and I remember this question coming up once. For the life of me, I can't remember which one or what doctor, but anyway, the answer was something to the effect of - as long as you don't have symptoms, a low pulse is usually fine. Everyone is a little different of course. I know what happens to me when my pacemaker is turned off temporarily, and there's no way I personally could be walking around with a pulse that low. But I have a relative who is normally low to mid 40's, and always has been even without a very active lifestyle, and he has no issues whatsoever.

Wearing a holter monito will help your doctor to determine the real actual cause and seriousness of your palpitations

As for the low HR, as mentioned before, most athletes have a low resting HR. I have a relative whose HR rate has always been in the low 50s though not athletic.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks for the replies. It looks like my BAV is now leaking quite badly so I may be moving into the official waiting room. The Regurg. is now classified as "severe" although I am going to get a second opinion through my cardiologist.

Latest posts

Back