Response to Letter About Anticoagulants

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DuchessBear

This letter appeared in the Washington Post Health section today.

I'm 21 and was recently diagnosed with a protein C deficiency. I had an acute blood clotting episode this summer that should have killed me, but for some reason I'm still here.

Lack of protein C means I'm supposed to be on blood thinners for the rest of my life, which would be fine except that I'm a competitive athlete and the drugs would prevent me from playing my sport.

This is my response. Does anyone have any edits/addition/deletions? Thanks.

Please tell Charlie Mercer [Your Views, March 3, 2009], and anyone else who takes anticoagulants (presumably he's referring to Coumadin/warfarin), that they do not necessarily have to give up their active lifestyle just because of this medication.

Go to warfarininfo.com and valvereplacement.com to get a wealth of accurate information about warfarin, and learn about the many myths that still abound.

At valvereplacement.com you will find a caring and welcoming community. Many people there take warfarin and still lead very active lives, including riding motorcycles, playing contact sports, and serving as police officers and firefighters. And these folks not only take warfarin, they also have had open-heart surgery and have artificial heart valves!

For most of us, being on warfarin means no more than taking a daily pill, and having regular blood tests. You can even do the blood test yourself at home in less than 10 minutes.

Please join us at valvereplacement.com. You will be very welcome, even though you do not have a heart valve problem. Anyone who takes warfarin deserves most accurate information about the drug, and the best management of the dosages. We are crusaders of a sort about these issues.

Note:
warfarininfo.com is run by Al Lodwick, who is a professional Certified Anticoagulation Manager.

valvereplacement.com is a community of people who are affected (directly or indirectly) by heart valve problems and/or related issues (such as taking warfarin). Besides the wealth of personal experiences, this site also has many links to medical research and professional articles.

I would consider adding that many people who are on anti-coagulation therpay lead normal active lives and participate in a wide variety of athletic endeavors. I for example had valve replacement therapy last September and plan to return to competitive archery this spring. I know people who run, bike, play tennis, handball etc who are on anti-coagulation therapy. Perhaps more members can chime in and you can cite a number of examples.

Victor

Right on!!

Being on anticoagulants does not impede nor deny you the ability to participate in whatever sport you choose.

Speaking for myself, I've led a very active life, participating in bicycling, ardous archery competitions, etc., & all while being on anticoagulants for 34-years and 3 OHS later.

So anyone who thinks that being on coumadin means that your active life is over, better think again!! :)

I would consider adding that many people who are on anti-coagulation therpay lead normal active lives and participate in a wide variety of athletic endeavors. I for example had valve replacement therapy last September and plan to return to competitive archery this spring. I know people who run, bike, play tennis, handball etc who are on anti-coagulation therapy. Perhaps more members can chime in and you can cite a number of examples.

Victor

I'd love to talk to you concerning your love for competition archery Victor. PM me when you get a chance!! :)

hunt, fish, climb mountains, run dog agility, equestrian events, rodeo, drive dune buggies, dance, run marathons, Iron Man, etc. etc. etc.

I drag race here, so I do not see any reason why they could not compete in athletic sports of any kind......you take the same precautions with or without warafin therapy. The only difference I could say is that the hospital and doctors just need to be aware that you are on warafin, if and that is a big IF something did happen! But then, they would need to know if you had an artificial valve or other foreign objects in your body!!!! I have not changed anything since mine!

Please join us at valvereplacement.com. You will be very welcome, even though you do not have a heart valve problem. Anyone who takes warfarin deserves most accurate information about the drug, and the best management of the dosages especially at the start of the treatment which may raise some questions and cause some anxiety until one reaches the right dosage, during which time we definitely are there to support each other. We are crusaders of a sort about these issues.................

Nicely done. I added a sentence in blue.

My husband has been on coumadin for almost 8 years. He works as a maintenance mechanic,fishes,hunts,uses a chainsaw and all other power tools. He got hit in the mouth with a steel pipe at work and had stitches. The doctor who did the stitches said if he had not told him he was on coumadin he would not have known. He did not bleed anymore than someone not on it. He also had his colonoscopy in November on coumadin. He just had to get to 2.4 and have IV antibiotics during the procedure. he even had some small polyps removed.

The FIRST thing I would want to know from the Questioneer is
"What is his sport"?

If it is Football, he may be right.

I'm not sure about Basketball...
there is a lot of contact in this non-contact sport,
including / especially contact with the FLOOR!
Banging one's head on the floor would NOT be good
for an anti-coagulation patient.

'AL Capshaw'

Looks like it's ready to go. The sad thing is, people will listen to their physicians without question, then doubt what your trying to tell them. I found out the hard way at a DVT forum. You'd think people would be glad to hear that half of what their doing is for nothing, but darned if they didn't revolt against me, basically telling me I didn't know what I was talking about. Ah the pleasures of working with people on Anticoagulants. It's so fulfulling.

I think the letter is great - thanks for doing this. I get the idea that the majority of the world thinks, if one is on coumadin, one needs to be a "bubble person" (you know - walking around in a protective plastic bubble). If we needed to do that, what would be the point of doing something as drastic as Valve replacement surgery if we couldn't live life afterwards? The whole point is to have more life to live and be able to live it to the fullest.

The FIRST thing I would want to know from the Questioneer is
"What is his sport"?

If it is Football, he may be right.

I'm not sure about Basketball...
there is a lot of contact in this non-contact sport,
including / especially contact with the FLOOR!
Banging one's head on the floor would NOT be good
for an anti-coagulation patient.

Banging one's head on the floor would NOT be good under any circumstances. :D:D

Thanks to all.

I digested your comments, edited my response, then sent it off. I'll let you know what, if anything, comes of it.

One more little drop in that big bucket of "truth about warfarin".

Latest posts

Back