Reop on May 23

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Edward_F

Hi All, I have been lurking here for a while. I had a Ross procedure performed on June 7, 2000 by Dr. Edward Bove a week after my high school graduation. Eleven years later, my homograph pulmonary valve has calcified to the point of needing a replacement. More importantly, an ascending aortic aneurysm that my cardiologist has been watching for the past couple of years has grown to 5.8cm from 5.2 since March. Needless to say, I am frightened since hearing about higher re operation mortality rates. The surgery is going to be performed by Dr. David Ott at St. Lukes in Houston.

Dr. Ott thinks he can save the autograph pulmonary in the aortic position. My wife and I are expecting our for child, so this news could not have come at the worst possible time.

Anyone have an operation done by Dr. Ott? I hope he is as good as his web site says lol!

Edward, you don't sound like a "good candidate" for higher re-operation mortality rates. Besides, the latest stats on 2nd OHSs are showing identical mortality rates to first ones. And all the more so at major cardiac centers.

I have no experience with Dr. Ott or St. Lukes or Ross procedure, sorry. Good luck, and please do keep us posted as you recover.

Edward , You are going to one of the top clinics in the world and Dr. Ott is the valve King, I will be there the 26th for my 2nd OHS with Dr. Gregoric. Arotic valve replacement. Your IN great hands.

As has already been stated, Success Rates for Second Heart Surgeries are Very Good, especially when you use a Surgeon who has considerable experience perfroming 're-do's'. The Texas Heart Institute in Houston (at St. Lukes Hospital) is one of the Top Rated Heart Hospitals in the country.

Think Positive !

'AL Capshaw'

Hi, As others have said the success rates for a 2nd surgery are pretty much as good as the first, especially in places that have alot of experience with REDOs. I've heard good things about Ott, but was wonderring why you aren't going back to Bove?

I'm a deal older than you and had two OHS in four years at a top heart center, Mass General. I had the same surgeon both times and re-op was 'another day at the office' for him. He wasn't concerned my risk of demise was any higher for being a 're-do'.

At your young age and if you are healthy in other ways, you have every reason to expect to do perfectly fine and be in great shape to enjoy your darling new baby.

There is no good time for OHS and you and your wife will manage, some how. :) Keep your eyes on the goal and you'll be surprised how soon you will be doing so well.

Best wishes and congratulations on your expected baby.

Edward...I can't possibly say any more...just want to send positive energy and prayers your way. Stay positive....you are in great hands in a top rated hospital. God bless.

Jeri

Just wanted to wish you the very best on your upcoming surgery on the 23rd. That day is a very special one for me too because on that day, 36 years ago, I underwent my 1st OHS, there at St. Luke's Hospital in Houston, TX.

St. Luke's is a wonderful facility with some of the most skilled surgeons in the nation, if not the world. I'm sure you will do just fine!

Godspeed!

Thank you everyone:) :D
This place is just so great! I'm happy there is such a supportive group to share these experiences with.

As far as not having having Dr. Bove perform this operation, it has mostly to do with distance and money. With a pregnant wife, and most of my family and friends in and around San Antonio, it made more sense to have it done as close to home as possible. I originally wanted Dr. Bove to do the operation since he is just plain awesome, but the trip to Michigan would be too much for me and my family.
Oddly enough, Dr. Ott asked the same question as to why I am not going back to Dr. Bove. He kept reiterating the seriousness and danger of the operation. Almost put a sense of doubt in me:frown2:

All I can do is pray and be positive.

I will keep y'all posted. Again, thank you everyone.

Edward , You are going to one of the top clinics in the world and Dr. Ott is the valve King, I will be there the 26th for my 2nd OHS with Dr. Gregoric. Arotic valve replacement. Your IN great hands.

We might be neighbors!:cool: Good luck with your AVR and godspeed!

Back