Red beans and rice?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whatever you do, try slicing up some sausage or kielbasa to go in it. :) Eckrich makes a good brand called Healthy Ones, which used to be the old Healthy Choice Polska Kielbasa and Smoked Sausage. It is _very_ low in fat, made mostly of turkey and tastes great. It does have a bit of sodium though but I highly recommend it as the fat content is unbeatable. You can eat a ton of it and not feel guilty about clogging your heart.

I live in south Louisiana, and you can do the beans easily without taking alot of time. You can use a can of Blue Runner Red Beans..... alot of people use them down here. I like to slice up some smoked sausage in mine, but some people like to keep the link whole. Its usually already seasoned, but if you want to season it more, season to taste, and i also usually slice up an onion, and caramalize that, and then dump the beans in with the sausage. Put it on low to simmer and sit back and have fun. Make some white rice, pour your beans over the rice with the sausage , and add some tobasco, or louisiana hot sauce and enjoy. Cest Bon

Whatever you do, try slicing up some sausage or kielbasa to go in it. :) Eckrich makes a good brand called Healthy Ones, which used to be the old Healthy Choice Polska Kielbasa and Smoked Sausage. It is _very_ low in fat, made mostly of turkey and tastes great. It does have a bit of sodium though but I highly recommend it as the fat content is unbeatable. You can eat a ton of it and not feel guilty about clogging your heart.

Kielbasa? Not andouille????? ;-))))

I make a killer red beans and rice (everyone says so) by adding some soy and worcestershire sauce...and definitely use the Kielbasa...but needs to be Hilshire Farms Kielbasa, its the best!! I also use kidney beans instead of red beans...but thats just because I like them.

I also chop my onions up very fine and cook them in oil until they are browned, then I add the beans! My family loves this recipe.

Mileena

I've been making Spanish rice ever since Norma posted her recipe, and now, after the reunion trip to New Orleans, I'd like a recipe for red beans and rice.
Anyone have a good one?

Duh.....I'm so glad I didn't read this post until now or I would have been pulling my hair out of sheer anxiety DUFFEY!!!!! :D :p

I make a killer red beans and rice (everyone says so) by adding some soy and worcestershire sauce...and definitely use the Kielbasa...but needs to be Hilshire Farms Kielbasa, its the best!! I also use kidney beans instead of red beans...but thats just because I like them.

I also chop my onions up very fine and cook them in oil until they are browned, then I add the beans! My family loves this recipe.

Mileena

How much soy, and when do you add it?

well i cheat when I make it.

I use a mix from www.louisianaspice.com and add smoked sausage. I like the red beans but we actually prefer the white beans. We also add onions and bellpeppers as we like those.

We have them in the grocery stores here.

I just looked at the ad, Earline, and my question is, do you buy the mix that's listed under the red bean soup category?

Danny sent along the name of the beans he buys, but I can't find a grocery around here that sells them.

I've found a recipe where the rice is sauteed in butter before pouring boiling water over it to steam. What we ate at Gyro's Deli tasted like the rice had been fried or something.

Anyway, I welcome any and all suggestions. We will keep sampling recipes until we find one that tickles our fancy!:eek:

Kielbasa? Not andouille????? ;-))))

I'm half polish/austrian, what can I say? ;)

It is gooooood stuff. My wife's part German and I've had to slowly get her adjusted to the "good stuff" like kielbasa and pierogi's.

But yeah, smoked sausage works just as well, I just like the flavor of kielbasa slightly more. I suppose it is an acquired taste but any sausage is better than no sausage (unless you're vegitarian of course).

Hi Duffy,

I add everything to the beans (including the soy) which is about 2 teaspoon and the worchestershire sauce a little more than that. I do it to taste. Then when the rice is cooked...I add the rice to the beans (I dont pour over rice) because then the rice fluffs up real nice and takes up some of the sauce.

Mileena

Latest posts

Back