Red beans and rice?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Think I will hike to the nearest grocery store Nov. 13 when I go to Alexandria LA and buy goodies to take back home for making red beans & rice, other stuff. Since I'm judging a cat show there that Saturday, I'm flying to Alex & back. So my food finds will have to ride back home with friends from the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

I will be looking for more Tabasco brand chili makings. It makes great chili, has chunks of tomatoes. We've used it to make meatless chili and just add two cans of dark red kidney beans (or pintos, if you prefer).

They have a store at their headquarters in Avery Island, LA.

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/

I'm half polish/austrian, what can I say? ;)

It is gooooood stuff. My wife's part German and I've had to slowly get her adjusted to the "good stuff" like kielbasa and pierogi's.

But yeah, smoked sausage works just as well, I just like the flavor of kielbasa slightly more. I suppose it is an acquired taste but any sausage is better than no sausage (unless you're vegitarian of course).

That's one of our favorite quick meals. However I use Mrs T's pierogis and don't make my own, my polish relatives must be rolling in their graves :)

Think I will hike to the nearest grocery store Nov. 13 when I go to Alexandria LA and buy goodies to take back home for making red beans & rice, other stuff. Since I'm judging a cat show there that Saturday, I'm flying to Alex & back. So my food finds will have to ride back home with friends from the Dallas-Fort Worth area.

I will be looking for more Tabasco brand chili makings. It makes great chili, has chunks of tomatoes. We've used it to make meatless chili and just add two cans of dark red kidney beans (or pintos, if you prefer).

They have a store at their headquarters in Avery Island, LA.

http://countrystore.tabasco.com/

How much chilli does it make, Marsha? Maybe two quarts?:confused: I like meatless chilli.

Duffey:

A jar makes 32oz of chili. I usually use 2 jars at a time, add 2 cans of beans. Calls for using water, beer or tomato juice. I use Mexican beer (only time I ever buy beer!) because it adds great flavor.

I buy the "Original Recipe" heat strength. Mistakenly bought the super-hot flavor once, and it was a little too much for me.

Sodium content is 690mg, but the fiber is 3g (11% DRA), not too bad.

I've made the chili at a cat show when I used to do hospitality for the judges and show committee. Cooked for about 30 people, and several of the judges raved about the chili. Should do that for our club's show Jan. 23 -- ought to be good chili weather then.

Here's yet another one. Posted here as requested.

Slow Cooker Red Beans And Rice: makes 4 servings at 4 WW points each.

Ingredients
1 spray(s) cooking spray, garlic-flavored
1 small onion(s), chopped
1 medium garlic clove(s), minced
1/2 cup(s) uncooked white rice, converted-variety recommended
1 1/2 cup(s) fat-free chicken broth
14 1/2 oz canned tomato puree, roasted-variety
15 oz canned kidney beans, drained and rinsed
2 slice(s) reduced-fat cooked crisp bacon, crumbled
2 Tbsp canned chipotle sauce
1/2 tsp dried oregano
1/2 tsp table salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 Tbsp cilantro, fresh, chopped
1 Tbsp scallion(s), chopped (green part only)

Instructions
Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray; heat over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic to skillet and sauté until slightly softened, about 2 to 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, place rice, broth, tomato puree, beans, bacon, chipotle sauce, oregano, salt and pepper in a 3- to 4-quart slow cooker; add sautéed vegetables. Cover and cook on low setting for 3 1/2 hours; stir in cilantro and scallion just before serving. Yields about 1 cup per serving.
Notes
Start this dish on a weekend morning and you'll have lunch waiting for you. But don't keep the beans and rice simmering all day, as the consistency will suffer.

Converted rice is sometimes recommended in slow cooker recipes since the grains do not clump together as much as they do with regular rice. You can, however, use regular white rice if you prefer.

Latest posts

Back