recent election

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pellicle;n870224 said:
Oh, so now the thread veers towards the other branch of politics ... climate argument ... this is a fertile fishing ground
Science only becomes politics when it interferes with moneyed interests of the culture/ way of life people are used to.

Agian;n870226 said:
Religious fervour and child sexual abuse often go hand-in-hand.
Sorry to destroy the white liberal mirage, but Tibetan monasteries recruit young boys as sex slaves. Apparently it's against the religion for monks to penetrate holes, but thigh sex is ok. Tibetan converts to Christianity in India and Nepal have been murdered. The dumb arse missionaries thought they were doing God's work.

I'll leave 'climate change' to Pellicle.
I won't assume the "white liberal" comment was directed at me because although I am Caucasian and I do hold some liberal thoughts-such as women being able to vote,democracy in general, a belief in science, no hatred towards gays, etc..- I like to think I'm more complicated. Doesn't mean I am but delusion can be useful.
"I contain multitudes" , I think that was Walt Whitman .

No not at all. It wasn't directed at you. But we have this phenomenon of people who bash western religions and theocracy, but think the Shangri La version is beautiful and exotic. I was just trying to make a point about how ignorance can be exploited by evil.

For us in Australia, religiosity bears no relation to where people fall on the political spectrum.
This right-wing left-wing mentality is so European, it surprises me Americans still relate to it.

cldlhd;n870227 said:
Science only becomes politics when it interferes with moneyed interests of the culture/ way of life people are used to.
my view is that when there are people involved there is inevitably politics

Agian;n870229 said:
...about how ignorance can be exploited by evil.
no wonder I'm always exploited ...
working class ...outdated imperialist dogma which perpetuates the economic and social differences in our society. If there's ever going to be any progress ...

Woman: I didn't know we 'ad a king! I thought we were autonomous collective.
Man: (mad) You're fooling yourself! We're living in a dictatorship! A self-perpetuating autocracy in which the working classes--
Woman: There you go, bringing class into it again...
Man: That's what it's all about! If only people would--
Arthur: Please, *please*, good people, I am in haste! WHO lives in that castle?

There is this thing called 'scientism' that borders on being a religion. The reality is there is growing evidence to indicate we may survive death. The irony is, if there was irrefutable evidence the various cults would die a thousand deaths.

Agian;n870229 said:
No not at all. It wasn't directed at you. But we have this phenomenon of people who bash western religions and theocracy, but think the Shangri La version is beautiful and exotic. I was just trying to make a point about how ignorance can be exploited by evil.

I hold one of them as sacred cows.

cldlhd;n870239 said:
I don't see a lot of arguments about gravity.
you don't hang around with the right physicists ... the Copenhagen Interpretation is still considered divisive. There is a lot of political wrangling go on about the acceptance of various theories (and lots of funding depends on it {supporting your money view} as well as prestige)

On topic a great "model" to demonstrate the "pilot wave" theory

there are quite a many arguments within science but as they are well out of the sphere of public interest the debates are confined to those interested. At least within the science community the arguments revolve around evidence rather than feelings - even when the evidence is hard to come by. As with gravity

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum_gravity

Einstein never accepted the Copenhagen Interpretation.

On a far more trivial note I was failed on an exam during my biochem-daze because of an disagreement between my professor and myself on a point which time has proven I was correct on (about Prions which he denied were an example of a transmissible disease). He's dead now (thus provides no opposition) and no one would dispute my point these days either (33 years later) but I didn't ever pass that effing subject.

Science is also embroiled with politics, and so as Max Plank said: "Science advances one funeral at a time." Or (more on topic) Max also said:
"New scientific ideas never spring from a communal body, however organized, but rather from the head of an individually inspired researcher who struggles with his problems in lonely thought and unites all his thought on one single point which is his whole world for the moment."

and thus devoid of politics

Haven't read posts on pages 4-5 so I don't know the what direction the discussions have taken but yesterday a young friend posted on FB that her two young grade school sons were called "wet back" and told to "pack your bag" by classmates. Their dad is white, BTW and they live in a middle class community. She told them that words can't hurt them but if anyone lays a finger on them to fight back. Covert racism is now overt because that man made it acceptable. Racists no longer fear showing their intolerance and it won't stop at words.

Last edited:
honeybunny;n870246 said:
Haven't read posts on pages 4-5 so I don't know the what direction the discussions have taken but yesterday a young friend posted on FB that her two young grade school sons were called "wet back" and told to "pack your bag" by classmates. Their dad is white, BTW and they live in a middle class community. She told them that words can't hurt them but if anyone lays a finger on them to fight back. Covert racism is now overt because that man made it acceptable. Racists no longer fear showing their intolerance and it won't stop at words.
There has been a rise in ugliness. My son is white but a few kids in his class told him Hillary murders good people. Apparently she has personally murdered and disposed of al!most 30 people.

Hell if in this day and age and being some of the most scrutinized people on the planet with about half the country out to get them they could kill all those people and get away with it I definitely want them running things. It's weird because at the same time she's accused of being incompetent. It's like friends I have who say the government is incompetent at everything , until you're talking about something nefarious then they are all seeing and all conquering. I'm shocked that Obama is still alive considering I could have ran a dead dog on the Democratic side and won in 2008 after W.
Don't be sorry about the racism , that was one of the main themes of the campaign. Trust me I know a lot of Trump supporters and with about 70% of them nigger is one of their favorite words, a rare multi syllable utterance in fact.
Has anyone counted all the dead who knew either of the Bush presidents? You can connect all kinds of dots with people who know thousands of people. I know a few people who crossed me who dies of apparent " heart attacks"
.https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...mepage%2Fstory

I keep telling ya, a lot of these politicians are evil.
Some Trump supporters didn't miraculously become douches, because they voted Trump. It was a pre-existing condition. They could've voted for someone else and still be pricks.
Your Democratic Party has a long racist pedigree.
I hear Hillary was very gracious over the phone. Do they have hot sauce in jail?
I'm glad I wasn't forced to vote for someone like Trump.

Maybe the Confederate Flag means different things to different people.
What, you wanna ban it?
Racist Dukes of Hazzard motherf*ckers.

Being American must be confusing sometimes :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back