recent election

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pellicle;n870130 said:
hey, that's why I'm up here :)

Norway from the summer of 2006:
This where I would like to be right now - a lake I go to in the Languedoc, southern France. I took this photo a couple of months ago:

DSC00360%20(1).jpg

The only things worse than Trump as president are his supporters (inc. my son and nephew) who actually believe that 1) he is going to build a wall on the US-Mexico border, 2) Mexico will pay for that wall, 3) he can stop terrosists from getting into the country, and 4) a mysoginistic, xenophobic, egotistical, sexual abusing bully (who can't see his own privates without looking in a mirror), who ran his own businesses into the ground and stiffed his workers, makes excuses and threatens to sue when things don't go his way refuses to take responsibility for his actions is qualified to be president and is out to take care of them. The hate most of these suporters express is chilling.

Next time I'll tell you how I really feel.

FYI, I am not a political person. I consider myself a moderate independent and have voted for both Republicans and Democratics, including in this election, and I have never been a big Clinton fan. But this travesty just makes me sick to my stomach every time I think of it. We live in a white male system that would rather see this country go to hell in a handbasket than elect a woman to lead it.

I read an opinion piece that made an interesting point: if a woman behaved like Trump did during his campaign, screaming, lying continually, telling supporters to shoot/jail the opposition, going off on tangents (3 a.m. savage tweets anyone?) sulking, blamming and making fun of others including disable persons, and so on, she would be labeled completely immature and incapable of serving in the highest office in the land. But this A-hole not only got away with it, he has been applauded for it.

honeybunny;n870133 said:
2) But this A-hole not only got away with it, he has been applauded for it.

Reminds me of another time when a despot gained power by appealing to misguided nationalism. A little while ago I was at the gym walking the treadmill and watching CNN and I got a little nostalgic. I came into this world in the mid '30s(1936) during the heyday of "H" prior to the 2nd World War and I sure hope I don't go out under another......but, since I am now 81, it will be likely. All we can hope for is that the Trump we've seen is NOT the Trump we are gonna get.

Thank God we don't use the popular vote to elect a president. It amounts to nothing more than mob rule. All you would have to do is win California and New York and you got it. Actually I don't see why one state has more say in the election than another. Each state has autonomy and should get 1 electoral vote period . Whoever wins the majority of the states wins the election . On another thought I bet Lois Lerner is sweating bullets right about now! I must say this really feels good. This was the biggest collective FU this country has ever seen. We have been spoon fed the liberal politically correct pablum for 8 years now and me and 56,000,000 other people are sick to death of it. To all the protesters...open wide.

dick0236;n870129 said:
It's gonna be interesting........kinda like waking up in the ICU after going thru OHS......thinking " Oh ****, what have I done". One thing for sure is that it will be different.

That's funny, I know 2 guys who voted for him who said "well I didn't think he would actually win" with some trepidation. Basically they figured she'd win and they'd be able to say "don't blame me I didn't vote for her".

MrBig;n870136 said:
Thank God we don't use the popular vote to elect a president. It amounts to nothing more than mob rule. All you would have to do is win California and New York and you got it. Actually I don't see why one state has more say in the election than another. Each state has autonomy and should get 1 electoral vote period . Whoever wins the majority of the states wins the election . On another thought I bet Lois Lerner is sweating bullets right about now! I must say this really feels good. This was the biggest collective FU this country has ever seen. We have been spoon fed the liberal politically correct pablum for 8 years now and me and 56,000,000 other people are sick to death of it. To all the protesters...open wide.

That's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. You're suggesting that a state with 20 million people should have no more say than one with 100,000? It's bad enough a state with 38 million like California only has 2 senators and Wyoming with 500,000 also gets 2. States aren't autonomous they're parts of the United States of America.

cldlhd;n870125 said:
1) convicted felons aren't allowed to vote . Law abiding Americans vote at absurdly low levels and I don't think criminals are very civic minded. Crack dealers don't vote.
2) You have to be a citizen to vote so terrorists....
3) I thought Australia was a nation of criminals?
The ones that get caught, that is. Great idea though. Our crims vote from prison and are encouraged to do so.
Some terrorists have American citizenship.
Only a minority are descended from convicts. They were the slaves that built Australia. Some were transported for the most trivial reasons, like stealing an apple

While I agree political correctness can get out of hand people who think it's a major issue are either stupid or they have no real problems. At the end of the day it's mostly just treating people different from you decently. I had a fun argument with a Trump guy who works with my buddy and his main gripe was PC. He said he liked Trump because " I like the way he talks, I can understand what he's saying". When I burrowed into him on the PC issue ,telling him to grow a set and say what he really means and it came out . He said he wishes he could cal gay people 'faggot' and black people 'nigger'. His words not mine and then he went on to say it's time for Obama to get his "black ass out of the White House and take that ghetto booty with him".
The real winner here is Russia and China. The trade deal between the US and southeast asian nations is dead so the Chinese will take our place and expand their influence and I expect Putin will be heading over towards where Pellicle is at now.
He had the nomination win the bag when he asked the first black president for his papers ( nothing PC there ) and announced his candidacy by calling Mexicans rapists.
BTW I was just having a laugh with the Australian criminal thing.

cldlhd;n870143 said:
That's the dumbest thing I've heard in awhile. You're suggesting that a state with 20 million people should have no more say than one with 100,000?
It's obvious you don't know the difference between a democracy and a republic. In a republic the majority doesn't always win. In 1963 one person, Madalyn Murray O'hair single handedly got prayer taken out of school against the wishes of over 200,000,000 people. If I were you whatever school you got your degree in civics from I would ask for my money back. Stupid.

MrBig;n870148 said:
It's obvious you don't know the difference between a democracy and a republic. In a republic the majority doesn't always win. In 1963 one person, Madalyn Murray O'hair single handedly got prayer taken out of school against the wishes of over 200,000,000 people. If I were you whatever school you got your degree in civics from I would ask for my money back. Stupid.
I know the difference but were electing a President of the country. I understand the majority vote doesn't always win but this is the way the founders set things up. . Obviously the states where nobody lives vote Republican so that's the reason you want each state to have one electoral vote even though that wouldn't be very democratic. School prayer? Seriously? There's plenty of time to pray on weekends , at home etc.... I don't want your religion jammed down my kids throat. Public schools are funded by everyone so are you going to have every religion represented? Why is it that so many religious people consider it a violation of their religious freedom if they're not allowed to force they're beliefs on others. Obviously you don't understand majority rules with respect to minority rights. Same thinking as the Taliban.

Agian;n870146 said:
The ones that get caught, that is. Great idea though. Our crims vote from prison and are encouraged to do so.
Some terrorists have American citizenship.
Only a minority are descended from convicts. They were the slaves that built Australia. Some were transported for the most trivial reasons, like stealing an apple
You're right some terrorists are American citizens. The most "successful" one with the biggest body count that I can think of is Timothy McVeigh....

cldlhd;n870149 said:
I know the difference but were electing a President of the country. I understand the majority vote doesn't always win but this is the way the founders set things up. . Obviously the states where nobody lives vote Republican so that's the reason you want each state to have one electoral vote even though that wouldn't be very democratic. School prayer? Seriously? There's plenty of time to pray on weekends , at home etc.... I don't want your religion jammed down my kids throat. Public schools are funded by everyone so are you going to have every religion represented? Why is it that so many religious people consider it a violation of their religious freedom if they're not allowed to force they're beliefs on others. Obviously you don't understand majority rules with respect to minority rights. Same thinking as the Taliban.
I wasn't advocating what she did one way or another. I was pointing out the difference between a democracy and a republic with an example. You could also use a refresher course in reading comprehension. God your thick.

pellicle;n870126 said:
you're right ... I will cease

That lasted all of two minutes I see. This site was a lifesaver to me when I was going through my surgery and recovery. I don't check in nearly as often as I used to. But I like to see if there's posts where I can now be helpful to others and contribute and give back from time to time. I viewed everyone in here as supportive because that's pretty much all I've ever seen in here was members of the forum being supportive to one another. Now, sprinkle a little politics in and suddenly it's a **** show of polar opposite opinions and animosity. Well many thanks to the original post for starting the **** show then leaving the room. You've brought out up the most hot button issue of the day that was obviously only going to divide people. I see no reason why it has any place in this forum but if you folks seem to like to argue with each other when you will seemingly will never share the others opinion, then flame on!

MrBig;n870151 said:
I wasn't advocating what she did one way or another. I was pointing out the difference between a democracy and a republic with an example. You could also use a refresher course in reading comprehension. God your thick.
Harambe didn't die for this. We're all friends here.

almost_hectic;n870152 said:
That lasted all of two minutes I see. This site was a lifesaver to me when I was going through my surgery and recovery. I don't check in nearly as often as I used to. But I like to see if there's posts where I can now be helpful to others and contribute and give back from time to time. I viewed everyone in here as supportive because that's pretty much all I've ever seen in here was members of the forum being supportive to one another. Now, sprinkle a little politics in and suddenly it's a **** show of polar opposite opinions and animosity. Well many thanks to the original post for starting the **** show then leaving the room. You've brought out up the most hot button issue of the day that was obviously only going to divide people. I see no reason why it has any place in this forum but if you folks seem to like to argue with each other when you will seemingly will never share the others opinion, then flame on!
We're all people with different personalities. Politics and religion are divisive. So what?
Talking about life shouldn't be taboo. This is what people do and sometimes even friends argue. It is what it is.
So, it's a '**** storm'. And?

I supported him for his stand on terrorism. When allmost all (more than 99%) terrorists are from one particular group and we refuse to acknowledge that, it is too much Political Correctness in my opinion. After what happened in France recently, my support for him increased.

almost_hectic;n870152 said:
That lasted all of two minutes I see.

I expected that I'd get called on that, I should have replied in the opposite order to what I did :)

Apart from to address this you will see I have maintained the ceasefire (because I agreed with you and meant what I said)

This site was a lifesaver to me when I was going through my surgery and recovery.

I'm glad to hear that and I hope it still is for many others yet.

But I like to see if there's posts where I can now be helpful to others and contribute and give back from time to time.

exactly why I am here ... in the main

I viewed everyone in here as supportive

and we still are ... I suspect just because you've seen some additional sides of us you're just forgetting that we are (well maybe not me) well rounded people with a complexity of character. More than just 2 dimensional "helpers".

Now, sprinkle a little politics in and suddenly it's a **** show of polar opposite opinions and animosity.

I have for sure seen the polar oppositive views, but I'm yet to see any animosity emerge here ... that seems to rear its head when I express views of the advantages of a mechanical valve for a mid 30's male.

Well many thanks to the original post for starting the **** show then leaving the room.

you've hit the nail on the head there :) But that too seems to be in line with the online experience. Even here someone asks a question then never posts again.

I see no reason why it has any place in this forum but

initially I felt the same about many peoples posts here. Back when I first started here I felt very much the outsider and wondered about the many posts (like throwdowns) which had totally nothing to do with heart issues. But then I got onto the view that there are some regulars here who like to also just "rub shoulders" with familiar names ... This occurs on other forums too.

In the main the place is friendly, and yes I agree that politics is a divisive subject. Usually it is so because people follow adversarial (fighting an adversary) approach, not an approach of discourse. Discourse is to me listening, asking questions, observing that your opinion is different and presenting that to the other. If the other is of a bigoted or highly biased nature then it should be quickly clear that discourse is impossible and at that point I just say "Oh ... OK then" and say no more.

I love this example of the complex way that some people interact:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back