Reasons for PT?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orangebrittainy

Just curios for those of you who were able to go through PT, What was the reasoning behind it?
How long Post-op did you start?

Also does anyone know what it takes to get BCBS to cover it. My book says they do, but I am trying determine how much they will cover.

Brittainy, Cardiac Rehab was a very helpful. First, of course, it got me into a regular exercise program which is important during recovery. Second, it provided tremendous reassurance that I could exercise vigorously without hurting myself. Quite a number of people who have studied recovery from heart surgery have found that one of the most perplexing problems involves helping patients understand that they are no longer fragile and can once again depend on their bodies after months or years of illness. The monitoring and the gradual increase in activity combine to build your confidence in your own body. Third, it also provides a support group. I was the only one in my group with a valve replacement but everyone else had gone through open heart surgery so we could share experiences. As you know from the way VR works, this sharing of experiences is very helpful in making sense of things that are happening. Fourth, the nurse physiologists who ran my program were a wonderful source of information. All together, my experience was a very good one and I would highly recommend that you plan on attending. Here in Tulsa, one begins these programs between 6 & 8 weeks and they run for 12 weeks (3 days a week). To sum things up, I would say that Cardiac Rehab helps promote a sense of well being.

Larry

I agree with Larry. It helps build confidence that your heart will do what it is supposed to. My BCBS covers 12 weeks at 3 times a week

I really want to and was going to ask my cardiologist about it at my 6 week check up. Part of me was afraid I was too late to start, or that you had to have a specific reason. I never was allow to be active as a child. As an adult I have had periods of time where I try to exercise but I always over do it, and wear myself down. I am hoping that with Rehab I can learn to get fit in a safe healthy way.

Pt?

Pt?

If by PT you mean cardiac rehab, I started a program when I was two weeks post-op. My cardiologist told me he usually had his patients wait until they hit the eight week post-op mark, but he wanted to slow me down. I was recovering faster than the norm.

I enjoyed doing the program.

-Philip

I too found Cardiac Rehabilitation to be beneficial and worthwhile, even with a relatively late start due to having to wait a few weeks to get into an open class.

(I *assume* by PT you meant Physical Therapy - as opposed to Prothrombin Time which measures the clotting time of blood :)

I was 12 weeks post op when I started rehab. I wanted to start sooner but I couldn't because of scheduling. Since I had already gone back to work full time, I could only attend 3 weeks of rehab but it really was worth every minute. I probably could have exercised on my own without going to rehab but I was too afraid because I didn't know what my heart could do. Being in a controlled environment with professionals monitoring me made me feel safe and allowed me to 'test' my heart. Going to rehab gave me the confidence so after 3 weeks I have continued the exercise at home. I really hate I couldn't attend the whole program because they have more variety of exercises that I don't get at home.
As far as insurance, I have BCBS. My cardiologist prescribed rehab (at my request) so it was approved by BCBS. I don't know how much they cover since I just finished class 2 weeks ago but I'm hoping it will be all covered since I've met my out of pocket expense for the year. Good luck!

Latest posts

Back