Re-Op a Possibility?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Freddie

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Like a fellow member, I too had a virtually bump free recovery (3 years ago)

Now with my latest echo results in my hand and comparing it with the others I have, I've notice some numbers have gone down while a couple have gone up - excluding my EF which was 64% is now 66%.

So I was wondering, what is the possibility of having another heart surgery? Could the replacement of one valve cause other parts of the heart to weaken or harden?

I don't mean to scare anyone, this is just a curiosity question and to satisfy my curious mind.

Thanx

It is always a possibility to need that valve or another one replaced. Depneding what numbers are going up or down,it could mean different things, some your heart is improving, others your heart s getting worse. If you post what the numbers are that you are concerned about, some one might be able to help figure out what is going on.
BTW a small change like that of the EF, could just be the echo reading and nothing at all.

Re-op?

Re-op?

So, what does your cardiologist say about your numbers? Does your cardio doc have any kind of insight about the changes and whether there's a concern about deterioriation which might require additional surgery? Have you asked for suggestions about designing a plan that might bump your numbers back into a more comfortable zone?

Chances are your doctor may simply want to monitor to see if there is a developing trend. With your EF slightly above its previous level, you may not be looking at any kind of problem at all. After watching the technician at work during my last couple of echos, I think there's bound to be some error. It didn't seem to be an exact science.

-Philip

Thanks Lyn for the quick response.
I should have also mentioned that I do realize that echo's are basically a reference.
The numbers that have been increasing are from the Aortic Root and the Asc Aorta - just a couple of decimal points, still under 3.0cm which I understand from Google-ing it is about the normal size.
Just rather curious if it can happen after the doc's have fiddled-around within the heart.

Sorry Philip but I have not seen my cardiologist yet - may not be able to see him until August. I'll be sure to ask him when I do see him. If it was serious I know I would have gotten a call from his office by now - my echo was done on May 18th - so no news is good news right?

A couple of decimal points, is usually just the normal echo to echo variations, since everything is still normal, it is just something to watch and see if there is a trend(or has there been an upward trend each year so far?)
but to your question yes it is possible to have more than one problem, Justin has had most of his surgeries on his pulmonary side, but we are keeping and eye on his aorta, root and ascending that, is already over 4. He's had sevearl places of his heart repaired.

Freddie,

for surgery i have just been there and done that and hopefully not again for a long time, but the timing of your post is timely. Now yours was an MVR and mine was mostly AVR + some mitral repair

Have just today met with cardiologist for 1st time post op and finally got copies of my echos, which I am trying to decipher, although am seeing the progession to immediate need that cardio saw and also have result of angigram, as well as hospital release form. all of which recently which confirmed that the OHS was very much needed.

In meeting with surgeon pre op, we had discussion on fixing everything just once if possible and it was my understanding that at operaation time, they redo a full evaluation with the thought of fixing everything requiring fixing, the one time, so that is and should be reassuring.

Now with that being said, they are human and you have 3 years, so anything is possible, but it is my understanding that echo test have some approximations and there may be anomaly readings.

As an example of my for 4 chronological (yearly) EF readings pre op : 65%, 65%, 65%, 60%....so i have nno idea what your current EF 64% means from 66%, maybe an anomaly?

but if i look at AVA: 1.2cmsSQ, 1.01cmSQ, .6cmSQ, .56cmSQ cardiologist said surgery coming soon on the 2nd last AVA reading, threatened me to wake up on the last one.

So am looking forward to comparing the pre op echos with the post op echo, but alas that is still a few weeks away.

Wondering if your pre op and post op tests have much in the category of Mitral Regurgitation, my numbers are not very complete, maybe cause for me focus was AVR?

Also other numbers in LV Systolic Function, are all over the map, no pattern there and this is the category for EF

I'm curious. What was the state of your heart before surgery? Was it just your mitral valve not functioning well, or was it mitral and aortic, too? Does your doctor say now that you have a heart murmur? I don't think I'd be too concerned about some measurements changing on an echo. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions at this point, especially not from the echo.

My currant EF is 66%.

Most everyone here has a BIG advantage over me - I didn't find this forum until I was 3 months post-op, so it didn't cross my mind to get test results at pre-op time. I do know that I did have sever Mitral Regurgitation and had OHS 5 days after being told I needed surgery.

My currant EF is 66%.

Most everyone here has a BIG advantage over me - I didn't find this forum until I was 3 months post-op, so it didn't cross my mind to get test results at pre-op time. I do know that I did have sever Mitral Regurgitation and had OHS 5 days after being told I needed surgery.

Cardiologist likely has those pre op echo results, or if not, then hospital where done, offered to pay for copies today, they did them for free, just a thought for your August meeting

I'm curious. What was the state of your heart before surgery? Good question. Had a physical 3 weeks prior to surgery and was told I was healthy - nothing was found - no murmur was heard. Was it just your mitral valve not functioning well, or was it mitral and aortic, too? It was just my Mitral valve that was shot - nothing else. Does your doctor say now that you have a heart murmur? Nope - my GP says I sound good, but this is the same doc who missed the murmur during my physical. I don't think I'd be too concerned about some measurements changing on an echo. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions at this point, especially not from the echo. Oh no, I'm not jumping to any conclusion - just asking

Sorry Luana, but this was the best way for me to answer your questions.

Cardiologist likely has those pre op echo results, or if not, then hospital where done, offered to pay for copies today, they did them for free, just a thought for your August meeting

Seeing the Cardio in August is not a fore-sure, but I have asked for a copy of my angiogram (a year ago) but still haven't received it, even though I was told it could be done - which I'll get on it first thing tomorrow, as for pre-op results - not sure if I want to see them :(, I saw my angio....wasn't pretty but neat to see :)

Monitor

Monitor

Rising numbers related to the aorta are worth monitoring closely. If you're within normal size ranges, it's probably nothing to worry about, but don't start skipping regular echos. I'm sure you're aware that we occasionally hear from someone who developed an aortic aneuryism after having aortic valve replacement surgery.

-Philip

I may now know why my cardiologist looks at me strange when I say I do not have shortness of breath. My EF is 50 and has been for years. 12 years ago after surgery it was 55. I get my homograft aortic valve replaced this year again.

I have been reading this post and other threads in amazement. I know I am lucky in that I live about 5 miles from the Cleveland Clinic, but in 22 years I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to see a cardiologist to have my echo results explained to me.

My suggestion is get a cardiologist to explain the results to you sonner than later.

I may now know why my cardiologist looks at me strange when I say I do not have shortness of breath. My EF is 50 and has been for years. 12 years ago after surgery it was 55. I get my homograft aortic valve replaced this year again.

I have been reading this post and other threads in amazement. I know I am lucky in that I live about 5 miles from the Cleveland Clinic, but in 22 years I have never had to wait more than a few minutes to see a cardiologist to have my echo results explained to me.

My suggestion is get a cardiologist to explain the results to you sonner than later.

An EF of 50 shouldn't be a problem that you would expect SOB, I see different normals some go by 50-65 others 55-75 and others inbetween. Plus the EF isn't exact, and can be +/- 5. FWIW CCF goes by 50-70 http://my.clevelandclinic.org/heart/disorders/heartfailure/ejectionfraction.aspx

Back