Questions

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Debra,

You may want to look over the Valve Selection Forum to learn more about the valve options.
There are 4 major manufacturers of Mechanical Valves (ATS, Carbomedics, On-X, and St. Jude).
Each of them have websites where you can learn more about their valves (in addition to the Valve Selection Forum)

Debra, This site has been a great place to hang out. Great support! Everyone will tell you here that the wait is the worse part of the whole deal, and it is. Stay busy and pray. You will be fine. They will make you real comfortable in the hospital, so don't worry. I know you like to cook and decorate for the holidays, but sit back,rest and enjoy. I 'm sure you family will make it a very special time for you.

Blessing to you, Vinnie

Hi Debra,
I can only repeat the others: read, read, get all the info you can get.

I had a OHS 7 weeks ago and had my pulmonary valve replaced with a tissue valve.
I'm 34, I did a lot of research prior the surgery and eventually I decided to have a tissue valve even if I will need another OHS in the future.
I just couldn't get used to the idea to start taking anti-coagulation for the rest of my life.

thank you for all of your opinions. I got two more opinions from other cardiologists. All of them agreed that because of my age I should go with a mechanical valve. So, with that being said..I have decided not to wait til January. I have an angiogram scheduled for early Monday morning Nov. 1. And Im hoping to have the AVR scheduled for sometime around Nov. 15th. My nerves just wouldnt allow me to wait til January. Im gonna hate not being involved so much with holiday cooking. (My favorite) and decorationg. But this is more important.

You well may find you will be able to do some holiday baking. If you have the surgery November 15, you would be five weeks post op and I was definitely able to do some baking at that point. You won't be lifting heavy things yet but how heavy is a cake pan or cookie sheet? Best Wishes.

I notice from her Member Profile, that Debra's last activity on this site was 6 days ago so she has not read the last 5 posts. I hope she can overcome her fears and learn how to deal with her situation.

I know i can only take coming here to research in spurts. I find more then a couple of days of reading about this makes me feel panicky so i take in the info i need in dribs and drabs. :)

Hi, Debra-
I'm 46, too, and am having AVR in January. I waited 13 years for the aortic stenosis to progress and would gladly wait longer if I could. :) I remember how panicked I felt when I was first diagnosed. It was a scary time because I didin't have enough information and didn't understand the condition. Now I know too much, but the surgeon and cardio seem to appreciate that I can talk technical with them.

I interviewed two SURGEONS before I decided on the valve type. Pick a surgeon who is really experienced with the valve type you think you want.

I'm going with the On-X, but if I end up with a St. Jude's Regent I wouldn't mind either.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back