Question...

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robb, I hope for your sake it doesn't! That's a stinky thought. I never experienced that during recovery and I hope you don't.

Robb - what I meant to say is that I didn't vomit after I got home (I've posted about this elsewhere). I spent the whole week in the hospital doing that. And I vomited so much that I can't tell you if it was worse than coughing/sneezing, but I don't believe so.

I hope you kick the bug soon. And I agree with Al...I usually feel much better after I just let it go!

Last edited:
Robb, my experience is that the flu generally goes out of the other end:frown2:. If it is the flu, and since you are recently out of surgery, let your doc know, just in case. I would also be careful of dehydration, especially if you are on warfarin. Throwing up probably won't hurt as bad as coughing or sneezing....but I imagine it will get your attention:thumbd:.

Good reminder:thumbup:. They are already offering this years flu shots here in Kentucky. I've gotten flu shots annually for a long time and they really work for me.

Why do you think it's "stomach flu"? Any other symptoms other than nausea? Ginger is good for nausea as in ginger ale or candied ginger. Hope you feel better soon.

At 7 weeks, your sternum should healed to 80% or more of it's strength so hopefully it won't hurt as badly as a cough,
especially a cough earlier in your recovery. :)

Hope you get over whatever it is.

FWIW, I usually feel better just 'letting it go' under similar circumstances.
Keep a bucket handy...

'AL C'

Robb, I agree with the sipping Ginger Ale like Barb mentioned, and I would avoid heavy foods and coffee, etc.
Try some plain crackers or dry toast tomorrow and see how it feels.
You may also want to take your temperature to check for fever.

Flu?

Flu?

Hugging a small pillow helped reduce the pain from coughing and sneezing. It probably will help with barfing as well. I managed to barf on my boss during my post-op hospital stay... hurt like hell, but it really felt good.

-Philip

The Yoda Master for this issue is Glenda, who woke up from surgery with the stomach flu, believed to have been caught during a pre-surgery barbeque given in her honor shortly before she went into the hosptital...

To this day, I cannot imagine that Cardio Care Unit scenario. Just can't wrap my mind around it. That really had to hurt.

Best wishes,

During my first post-op night, as I kept bargaining with my tyrannically selfish nurse for more ice chips, the patient next to me tossed his cookies :eek2: (That had to hurt!)

Not only was it miserable for him and his subsequently very crabby nurse who had evidently been too free with the ice chips, but my nurse became even more stingey with the remaining ice chips :frown2:

Thank you; your first post reminded me of all of these interesting recollections. So glad you are feeling better Robb :)

Oh and FWIW, post-op coughs and sneezes can be shockingly painful for MONTHS :eek2: Prepare yourself.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back