Question for exercises

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mom2izzy

I walked a leisurely 5K today,and it got me wondering...Is it better to walk a long distance at an easy pace or a shorter walk a little faster?

Both! Surprised? A mixture is truly best for both your cardio system, and overall improvement.

I vote for a mixture as well. There has been lots of research done that shows intervals being very very beneficial for most folk. Of course this is for general populous.

Since I can only walk now, I walk at 3mph, then 4mph, then 3.5 mph, then rinse and repeat. This makes it quite fun. If you are outside you can leisurely walk for 2-3 minutes and speed walk for 1 minute, if comfortable, up the speed walking times. I find that intervals take the boredom out of walking and I can go for a while. Heck, when outside, you can do whatever you want, though, different intensities make it fun. I wear my wrist heart monitor which lets me measure my heart-rate and monitor things for BPM limits, avg BPM, as well as speed with which my BPM lowers back to exercise zone. When I see my hear-rate taking longer to get back to my zone, I just about call it a day. Though, so far I just call it a day at 1 hour or there abouts as that is my current time-limit for exercise until week 3.

Sorry, I am not sure when you had your surgery! I am not always on nor you mention it in your profile. In general, here are some general instructions in case your hospital did not give specific guide:

"........

Make your exercises a regular/daily routine. Try to walk every day and gradually increase your distance over time.

Instead of going for a straight distance, you may want to walk around your block several times so that you are always close to home.

Don't worry about how fast you are walking, but concentrate on how much you are walking.

Don't exercise if the weather is bad, or if it's too cold or too warm outside. Because of the controlled temperature, an indoor shopping mall is a good place to walk.

Make sure you are not exercising too hard
. Stop if you are exhausted, short of breath, feel dizzy, or ......."

You may read more here: http://www.cts.usc.edu/hpg-resumingactivitiesandexerciseafterheartsurgery.html

:)

Last edited:
I don't worry about my walking pace, I just enjoy my time out walking. Sometimes I'll cover a lot of ground with the combination of my long legs and rapid pace, while the walks will be much more leisurely when I just want to be out enjoying being outside. I think it's all good, since the walking time is much better than sitting around. The one good thing from people at work being concerned that I had open heart surgery (even though it was almost two years ago) is that I can go out for a walk whenever I need a break from work. That's a nice thing about working at a small company in a small New England town!

I'll vote for intervals and variety. I usually start my daily workout with 15 to 20 minutes on an Airdyne exercise bike, starting at a moderate pace, increasing to a pace that "feels like work" by the finish. Then I move to a treadmill. I start out at 4.2 mph with an 8 to 10% incline for 3 or 4 minutes, then drop to zero incline and jog at 5.0 mph for 8 to 10 minutes, then go back to the 4.2 mph and incline to finish out my 15 to 20 minutes there. I don't do any weights at the gym -- I do that at home before work in the morning. I'm only up to 15 lb. hand-weights, but when you have one of those in each hand, it is equivalent to a 30 lb. barbell. I do curls and lifts, etc., with these, and also use one of those elastic band exercisers for some other resistance training.

I'm really working on being able to do 10-K's again, IF my knees will allow it.

Thanks for the answers. I don't feel like I am getting good advice from the people at cardiac rehab. They treat me the same as their other patients. I work harder at home than they let me work there. They just moved me "up" from 14 mins on a treadmill @ 3.2 mph and 14 mins on an elliptical 0 grade, 1 resistance with a cool down in between to 24 mins on the elliptical (same settings, but I upped those a little when they walked away). They actually let me lift some weights yesterday...2 lbs, 5 reps, 5 different ways...I lift my 30 pound daughter and they are concerned about 2 lb barbells...I'm a little disenchanted. At home I've walked up to 5K, I always push it hard at the end...even jogged a little. I'm sure this doesn't seem like much to the more active on this forum, but I led a VERY sedentary life before surgery.

All good! Just like other things, some rehabs are better than others. Stick with rehab, do more on your own....but it's keep at it!

I just go at my own pace,wich is a bit brisk for however long I can take it. I am in the begining stage of arthritic knees and can't take the stair as much, and am 46 years old and overweight. I am starting my own exercise regiment thiss week and hope to stick to it during the summer. I say whatever pace you feel comfortable, go with it. It a cardio vascular workout and is the best to do. Go for it. Good luck. Hugs for today. :)

Latest posts

Back