Pushups routine

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SumoRunner

My running mileage is way down because the winter has continued unabated, less than 150 miles YTD, so I got into a bit of a competition with some younger guys on LogARun.com. I'm 65, they're anywhere from 25 to 55. It took me about 8 weeks to climb to #1. I'm up to about 1,100 a week now, over 4,000 in the last 30 days. I do about an hour with 8 sets of 30, 40 or 50 and plenty of rest between. Being retired, I can take my time. My record, a few years ago, was 420 in one session. In a few more weeks I may try to better that.

My running mileage is way down because the winter has continued unabated, less than 150 miles YTD, so I got into a bit of a competition with some younger guys on LogARun.com. I'm 65, they're anywhere from 25 to 55. It took me about 8 weeks to climb to #1. I'm up to about 1,100 a week now, over 4,000 in the last 30 days. I do about an hour with 8 sets of 30, 40 or 50 and plenty of rest between. Being retired, I can take my time. My record, a few years ago, was 420 in one session. In a few more weeks I may try to better that.

I'm impressed!

Wow, Jack! You're my idol. At my peak, a couple of years prior to surgery, I was doing around 150 push-ups each morning before going to work. As my valve worsened, I was advised to avoid high-intensity exercise for some time. After surgery, it took me a long time until my sternum was comfortable enough to get back to push-ups. I'm now back to about 50 each morning, but have to take some time off while I recover from the repair of a small hernia.

This "getting old" thing isn't for sissies, is it?

At my peak, a couple of years prior to surgery, I was doing around 150 push-ups each morning before going to work.

I never do anything every day. I'm a big believer in rest days whatever I'm doing. I learned hard day/easy day with running a long time ago, so I follow that formula. I'll do 300+ on M,W,F and and an easy 100 on T,Th. Usually none on the weekends.

I hate pushups. Give me crunches, swimming, biking, running and most other things but NO PUSHUPS. Hated them when I had to do them in the military. Times haven't changed. Good for you guys.

I won $5 from a guy in a pub who said there was no way I could do more push-ups than him. He managed 25, I cranked out 40. But 150?? I can't imagine. Well done mate!

And YES, proper push-ups, not the girly ones!!

Hated them when I had to do them in the military.

That's sort of what got me started, although I was never in the military. At 14-15, I was in the civil air patrol and my older brother who outranked me took great delight in making me drop down to do 20 for any misstep. I would have to do upwards of 100 during drills. I always incorporated them in my workouts thereafter.

The mega-workouts started several years ago when I found a site www.hundredpushups.com and tried their 6 week program to see if I could do 100 in a row. I failed, maxed out at 65, but in the process discovered that I had done thousands to get there.

pushups.png

For me, it was the Drill Sergeants who trained me in Army Basic Training. They were Airborne Troops (we weren't) and said that the only way they knew how to train new trainees was the Airborne way. Lots of pushups. I was a skinny kid of 23 at that time. It helped bulk me up, and I never looked back.

I can see on Jack's list that I wouldn't be ashamed at my usual clip - at 50/day for 22 weekdays of the month, I would have done 1,100 pushups, good for about 9th slot. Not bad for a 65 year-old geezer.

My surgery was four months ago and I'm afraid to do push ups. I feel fine, but I'm just afraid that my sternum will crack in half on push up #1. Perhaps that fear is not rational.

My surgery was four months ago and I'm afraid to do push ups. I feel fine, but I'm just afraid that my sternum will crack in half on push up #1. Perhaps that fear is not rational.

Right. You should all remember I'm 22 years post-op. At 4 mos. I probably didn't try one either, 8 Mos. though, very likely.

Oh, and BTW, I got a 1st place M60-69 at a 5K today on 3 mi/wk training. Not a fast time even for me, but a hard effort nonetheless.

Is there any guideline as to how long one should wait before doing push-ups after an OHS ?
I want to start doing them, but I am afraid (even after almost 2 years post-op).
Thanks in advance.
SumoRunner, You are my hero!!!

Enkaynj, I am 7 months post op and I am doing two sets of 15 or three sets of 10. I also was nervous about doing them and couldnt do much the first couple of attempts. I started with the modified version on my knees. Believe it or not, the posts from Gymguy helped get me over the fear of doing them. My goal is to be back up to 50 for my Army PT test in October.

Fantastic effort. It would be good to show this to all who are about to have surgery. :)

No. Simply tell them I'm still active after 22 years. That's what's hidden in the back of their minds. "How long do I have?" And the answer is, it's up to you.

Latest posts

Back