pulse in neck..

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ambriz

Got a random question. I'm noticing the pulse in his neck is beating so hard I can see it. Anyone else noticed this same thing after their surgery? I also notice I can even see his heart beating in his chest.:confused:

The neck pulsing calmed down after a while and I was taking Beta Blockers by then anyway, but the
pulsing under the skin at the base of my sternum continues and is probably more visible because I am thin.
Or maybe it's just that new fancy high powered valve of mine !!
These are good questions to ask your doctor at the next check up though.

I remember that heavy beating in my chest, called my cardio's office and they increased my atenolol from one pill to two/day. In his discharge papers, there is a statement to call if you have any questions. you already paid for it so give the cardio a call on this - or anything you have a question about. Never any small question - they are all important. Blessins..........

I agree with recommendations. Call the doctor, Juan might need a tweek in his medication. I remember after my surgery, I could see and feel my hearbeat in my neck. Talked with my cardio about it and he upped my metoprolol. In time everything settled down, but for your peace of mind, ask questions and bring it to medical teams attention.

I remember that heavy beating in my chest, called my cardio's office and they increased my atenolol from one pill to two/day. In his discharge papers, there is a statement to call if you have any questions. you already paid for it so give the cardio a call on this - or anything you have a question about. Never any small question - they are all important. Blessins..........

Ann has a good point. If you EVER question anything, call the cardio's or surgeon's office. He/she may need to adjust a medication, or schedule you to come in ... to be on the safe side.

I think it was (WAY) back when I was in High School that I had a lovely girlfriend, whose pulse I could see while admiring her neck. No OHS in sight there, it was just her normal (or maybe my presence made her heart go pitter-pat?).

Many or most of us felt extra-vigorous heartbeats "beating out of our chests" in the first month or two post-HVR. Some of mine were PVCs, which were picked up on the monitors in the hospital. Some of mine even woke me up from a sound sleep! Pretty normal post-op, pretty harmless, I think, though it can't hurt to ask.

Thanks :) It has calmed down a bit already. They have him on atenolol, lisinopril and the coumadin.

OK we went to urgent care the other night. The meds he was on had him with cold hands and feet, profuse sweating on his face and horrible nightmares. (he dreamed I chased him with a knife, then woke up, fell asleep again and this time I was chasing him with a stick! lol) They gave him the metaprolol which seems slightly better.. but he feels like his heart is thumping in his chest at times.

Before the AVR, I had really unpleasant palpitations. After surgery, I felt as though my heart had been energized and was pumping as I never remembered. The difference between the two experiences is that the palpitations left me feeling ill and exhausted while the strong beating after surgery did not. If it concerns you, you are never wrong to get it checked but it sounds pretty normal. As Bina mentioned, the Beta-blocker reduced the sensation and it faded over the first two or three months. I have noticed, however, that I have no difficulty even now feeling my pulse in my wrist which was never true before the valve was replaced; I could never find it easily.

Larry

My brother had a triple bypass several years ago, he warned me about nightmares which I have not experienced for some reason. I have been taking Metaprolol for 2 weeks now, maybe it helps for nightmares swell as BP and fib?
Stay well you two!
Jeff

Back