Preparing for surgery - what can one do

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pnarciso

As usual, this place has been a invaluable source of information. Reading on the "what surprised you after surgery" thread, I found that some of the "surprises" we will all just have to live with - glucose readings, insulin shots, discomfort (or not) from the breathing tube, fluid build up...

Some of the others, though, I think we can do something about, getting properly prepared (like the "practicing the signs", thanks normofthenorth). If anyone thinks this makes sense, if you got any advice from your docs, please share here. If you think this is nonsense, have your say too...

The two points I see as having potential to be prepared to:

1 - to help with respiratory recovery, I think one may practice abdominal breathing before surgery ("breathing with your belly"). I know that the sternum cut is not the only reason you cannot breathe properly after surgery, but I imagine it hurts to take a deep thoracic breath in those first days (or weeks). Going into surgery with a stronger diaphragm should help, as well as being trained to use it more intensely in a regular basis.
2 - is the back pain muscular? Working out your core and lower back would help?

Any other thing that those who have gone through OHS could tip us on, things we should do to prepare our bodies for surgery?

Thanks

Paulo

The muscular pain in neck, shoulders and back is due to positioning during surgery. They twist the patients into unnatural positions in order to give the surgeon the best possible access/angles. Any exercise approved by your personal physicians has to be good. Will it help with the post op muscular aches? Probably not but if approved, it certainly cannot hurt.

Diaghram breathing? I don't know. I didn't have any problems breathing post op. It was sore using the spirometer but I think it would be sore regardless you practiced diaghram breathing in advance or not. The purpose of it is to reinflate the lungs and get air into all air sacs. There seems little doubt consistent use of spirometer, properly used, is of great importance.

Welcome here, Paulo. Happy you found us. This is an amazing community helping people before, during and after this odyssey of heart surgery.

The muscular pain in neck, shoulders and back is due to positioning during surgery. They twist the patients into unnatural positions in order to give the surgeon the best possible access/angles. Any exercise approved by your personal physicians has to be good. Will it help with the post op muscular aches? Probably not but if approved, it certainly cannot hurt.

Diaghram breathing? I don't know. I didn't have any problems breathing post op. It was sore using the spirometer but I think it would be sore regardless you practiced diaghram breathing in advance or not. The purpose of it is to reinflate the lungs and get air into all air sacs. There seems little doubt consistent use of spirometer, properly used, is of great importance.

Welcome here, Paulo. Happy you found us. This is an amazing community helping people before, during and after this odyssey of heart surgery.

My thoughts are the same as JKMs as far as breathing and muscle pain, one thing that could be very useful before surgery is to practice getting up from sitting in a chair or bed with out using your arms. Justin is pretty good at it since unfortunaly he has alot of experience, but he likes to practice a little at home before surgery to remind himself how to do it.

As for signs (Hopefully by the time anyone wakes up they are off the vent so won't need to comunicate on it, but it is good to have a plan/system incase you DO need it) we also have quite a few signs but it might be easier for someone who already had surgery and knows what kind of things they wanted to get across when they woke up that was frustrating. Most likely the questions will be "how did it go", "what did I get" type thing, so they would be good for anyone to work out, but most of the signals we use are for things we know Justin likes when he is awake on the vent like a cool rag on his face and back of neck etc. he also usually likes if we can put something on his lips, so we always have some kind of lip balm and a sign for that, (but make sure they ask the nurse if it is ok before they put some on, )

BUt I also would make sure the person who will be there when you wake up, has something to write on and with, either a notebook and pen or even one of those small wipe off whiteboards. From experience with Justin and my Mom, usually when they are awake enough to have questions and use signs to communicate, they can usually write if anyone thinks to give them something to write with and on. It probably won't be the best handwriting but good enough to figure out what they want. So if it is something we have a sign for that is quick and easy we use them , but if something else comes up that you didn't think about, at least you can tell them..plus unless you both really practice the signs to the point you can pretty much do them in your sleep, if you are groggy when you first wake up you might forget them, especially if you have quite a few. so practice any signs yu have, we even practicd in the preop holding area, but hopefully you won't need them

Last edited:
This post is my first.

I had surgery after just a few days notice of the need for it. I had been taking care of my elderly father for three years (advanced kidney failure) during which time I became increasingly tired; I made the "mistake" of neglecting my health ascribing my tiredness to the stress and work of taking care of a very sick old man. At 64 I was in rather good physical condition except for extreme tiredness. After Dad's death, funerals and burial, I had a long-overdue physical in which my PCP "found" a murmur; he recommended an echo; and I was notified three weeks later I needed a cardiac catheterization because I had severe aortic stenosis. I shocked friends and family as I was "the last person" they expected would ever need heart surgery. Within ten days from "diagnosis" I went in via the ER for catheterization followed the next day by OHS, mechanical valve and dacron aorta graft (aneurysm). I was told pre-OP that I had a BAV but the pathologist report afterward indicated that was not the case; my valve was "normal" but two leaflets had fused together at some point giving me the same effect as the BAV. I made what the doctors and staff called a "fast track" recovery. My lungs "snapped back" quickly and my legs easily enabled me to get up without using my arms (good to know my generously proportioned thighs actually benefitted me). I had and have no underlying heart disease. None of this experience has been fun or particularly pleasant. I actually totally dislike being on Coumadin and have had some unpleasant experiences on it. Sore? You bet! Dealing well with it? Of course. Having been married for many years my husband and I had our signs and communication in place without working on it before had. Easy? No. Not really. We are blessed that I am strong; so is he. This Valve Replacement experience is not something I would wish on anyone, but we have made it through. My recovery is still ahead of the curve. I look and feel good--really!

Hi Paulo,

I can't address your respiratory concerns since I didn't have any of these issues after surgery, but I did have a lot of back and neck pain. My husband brought me a small neck pillow to use in the hospital and the one thing I wish I had done was schedule a massage therapist for a neck and upper back massage. Some hospitals actually offer this service, normally at an added expense, but with a therapist that is certified to work in the hospital. If you have this problem, and many of us do because of the positioning on the operating table that has already been mentioned, you might want to try to get a massage, either in hospital or when you get home. Good luck with your surgery. It always looks better once you're over the mountain.

Jane

Thank-u-all for the info. Too bad you cannot do much. I am very happy that at least we were born in a time we can have our problems fixed, in my case at a very low risk.

Paulo

WELCOME to our nutty island in the internet......I have no idea IF you can prep for breathing issues as your lungs collapse during surgery and yes the rib spreaders play havoc on nes back but Norm / normofthenorth swears by massage prior gave him relief again Paulo welcome

This post is my first.

I had surgery after just a few days notice of the need for it. I had been taking care of my elderly father for three years (advanced kidney failure) during which time I became increasingly tired; I made the "mistake" of neglecting my health ascribing my tiredness to the stress and work of taking care of a very sick old man. At 64 I was in rather good physical condition except for extreme tiredness. After Dad's death, funerals and burial, I had a long-overdue physical in which my PCP "found" a murmur; he recommended an echo; and I was notified three weeks later I needed a cardiac catheterization because I had severe aortic stenosis. I shocked friends and family as I was "the last person" they expected would ever need heart surgery. Within ten days from "diagnosis" I went in via the ER for catheterization followed the next day by OHS, mechanical valve and dacron aorta graft (aneurysm). I was told pre-OP that I had a BAV but the pathologist report afterward indicated that was not the case; my valve was "normal" but two leaflets had fused together at some point giving me the same effect as the BAV. I made what the doctors and staff called a "fast track" recovery. My lungs "snapped back" quickly and my legs easily enabled me to get up without using my arms (good to know my generously proportioned thighs actually benefitted me). I had and have no underlying heart disease. None of this experience has been fun or particularly pleasant. I actually totally dislike being on Coumadin and have had some unpleasant experiences on it. Sore? You bet! Dealing well with it? Of course. Having been married for many years my husband and I had our signs and communication in place without working on it before had. Easy? No. Not really. We are blessed that I am strong; so is he. This Valve Replacement experience is not something I would wish on anyone, but we have made it through. My recovery is still ahead of the curve. I look and feel good--really!

WELCOME TO THE FORUM I am glad to hear you are doing well and on the right road

My two cents:
1. I believe the important thing is to listen (and do what you are told) to your marching orders upon release from the hospital.

2. This was the worst part of the recovery from my 1st. After the 2nd, I had a massage therapist work on me every other day for 3 weeks starting the day after I was released. It was a great help. I also started with heated pads in the ICU within minutes of waking up.

Best of luck to you. Stay well!
Scott

5 days post op - feeling great, much better than expected. It is only hard to sleep in the same position all night, and moving the arms also cause pain, but other than that, all good. I believe the diaphragm breathing exercises have helped a lot too. Also practicing getting up without using the hands was useful. Thanks for all tips!

Latest posts

Back