Pradax-alternate to Warfarin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jeff Edmonton

I am about to have a MAV operation, most likely a St. Jude valve, reagent. Should I suggest this new drrug right off the get go? Has anyone online taken this drug yet? I spoke with a close pharmacist an my GP about this today and it is very new to Canada. More expensive but my plan covers it, unless I get layed off of course. But I am very new to this so any old people\ new to the drug thoughts would be appreciated!

No offense intended! I am almost 50 And
about to experience HELL week, so I could be considered close LOL!

Jeff, I would stick with the tried and true....Coumadin/warfarin for now and see what the future holds.
(I'm 52 and have been taking it for over 5 years without a problem) Home testing is simple too. :)

I am about to have a MAV operation, most likely a St. Jude valve, reagent. Should I suggest this new drrug right off the get go? Has anyone online taken this drug yet? I spoke with a close pharmacist an my GP about this today and it is very new to Canada. More expensive but my plan covers it, unless I get layed off of course. But I am very new to this so any old people\ new to the drug thoughts would be appreciated!

I'm not sure about Canada, but in the US the only trials /approval so far are for Afib and it isn't approved for mech valves.
It looks like it is just approved for Afib in Canada also http://www.boehringer-ingelheim.com...releases/2010/27_october_2010_dabigatran.html

Last edited:
Ditto to Bina's comment. Pradaxa is apparently still not approved for mechanical valves - but even if it was, I think I'd rather pay a dime or so a day for warfarin and self-test than have to pay about $8 a day for a drug that apparently has no easy means of reversal. (In other words IF your INR goes high when you're taking Pradaxa, Vitamin K injections and bushels of greens may not bring that INR down).

If you're getting a mechanical valve, I'd start right away checking into the possibility of self testing. It's an empowering technology that will make taking warfarin not that big a deal because you will be able to monitor it closely at home.

Latest posts

Back