Post surgery tests and appointments

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JiminMI

Looking for some info on follow-up testing that I might expect after a mechanical AV replacement procedure and the time-frames for testing (echo, cat-scan, x-rays?). This has to do with my concerns about my proximity to the operating surgeon and hospital. It's possible that I could be getting my operation in Michigan and be resting/recuperating with relatives in Florida. I know there are ACT clinics for the INR testing pretty much everywhere, but I am wondering about the other post-operative tests and examinations.

Many/most people who travel far for surgery have their local cardiologist do the post op care and tests. The time is different everywhere, but a good ball park is around 6 weeks post op you usually see the doctor and have an echo and ekg.

The surgeon was the first one I saw at 4 weeks post op. He cleared me to drive at that point. The next one I saw was my Cardiologist and he handled meds, refills, follow ups etc. I saw a Electrical Cardiologist once for palps and to get the clearance to get off off Amiomadrone for Afib. I have had SMALL bouts with it since BUT nothing more than a few minutes. I have seen the cardiologist 3 times since. Ive had two EKG's and that is the extent of my testing since.

My surgeon saw me at three weeks post op as did my family doctor and my cardiologist saw me at 4 weeks. My last visit with the surgeon took place at 6 weeks when he reviewed my activity level and looked at my EKG. Following that, no additional tests were performed until my 6 month appointment for which the first post surgery echocardiogram was performed. An echocardiogram was performed again for the one year visit with my cardiologist. Through all of this, my family doctor has been my single most informative resource. She has reviewed all the reports generated by the surgeon and cardiologist and has been most helpful at helping me understand them.

Larry

Latest posts

Back