Post-op/hospital- t shirts? hungry? how soon can I drink a little?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kars

for my post-op/hospital bag, I want some real clothes; will I be able to pull on a loose t-shirt? would a front-button shirt make sense? a robe? can a friend bring me a (small) sake/or any alcohol? Or is that really stupid? Will I be hungrier? less? too tired to chew much?
(what about cigars or a chocolate Easter bunny? just kidding)
5 boring days.
thanks.

Justin likes to have his "real clothes' too, especially once he starts walking around the floor. Some people can put Tshirts (usually a larger than normal size helps) on and off easily, other have trouble, you could take some and see how you feel. Justin usually wears short sleeve button down shirts, they are easy to get on and off and usually have a pocket to put your monitor in, when you are doing walks. He usually wears pull on gym shorts or sweats for pants.
You could take a robe, but might not need it if your wearing street clothes.
Its hard to say if you will be hungry or not everyone is different and even the same person can be different if they have a couple surgeries, but more often than not, most people don't have a real good appatite the first few days and things they normal love might not taste good.

It was alot easier for me with a button up shirt for about a month.The hospital I was in had fantastic food (servers wore a tux and brought flowers with each meal) but,
nothing tasted good for quite awhile.I remember they brought the best looking hamburger in for lunch one day and I was so excited. I took the first bite and it tasted like cardboard.
But, my girlfriend said it was awesome as she finished it for me.

For the hospital bring something to cover your behind that's easy to get on & off - boxer shorts. I'm 3 &1/2 weeks out & I've been wearing loose sweatshirts since I got home. I needed some help at 1st.
The only thing I did that was not recommended was coffee, a small cup every day. I was told that it was statistically more likely to get a-fib if you drink coffee or alcohol in the 1st couple weeks after surgery. I've drank coffee for more than 25 yrs so my thoughts were that to abruptly pull it might give me just as much as a problem as drinking it. I love my wine, beer & port. But of the 2 - coffee or alcohol, as long as I am on any pain killers I can stay off the beer & co.
I just put up a post re: abdominal pain, I think it's the motrin, but who knows.
Wish you the best on the upcoming surgery!!!!
Daiva

I wore warm up pants, light weight long sleeve pull-over shirts, shoes/socks and/or slippers. I was not very hungry for about a week after surgery. Then my appetite was fine. I could not ware jeans for a couple of weeks because of water retention.

Debbie

I had very little appetite after both my OHS but I didn't encounter the 'food doesn't taste right' situation that some have.

In the hospital I stuck with their gowns as it gave easy access to incision, drainage tubes, pacing wires. As soon as I got home, I wore pull over the head jerseys with no problem.

I was one of those who wore the hospital gowns, sometimes with boxer shorts. I had some days of complications, so I wasn't very interested in what I wore. Later on, when I was re-admitted for some other complications, I wore the boxers and gown still. I just wasn't worried about it. When I got home, I was always chilled, so I wore long-sleeved sweatshirts and sweatpants. When I went out, I was able to wear jeans and a button-up shirt. For the first couple of weeks I had such fluid retention in my ankles that the only shoes I could wear were old sneakers. A few weeks of lasix took care of that.

As for food - I really had little appetite for a good 4 or 5 weeks after surgery. I lost about 15 pounds before food started tasting good again and I regained my appetite. Part of the problem was that all the meds (at surgery and post-op pain meds) made me so constipated that I couldn't eat or sleep. That's why I was re-admitted to the hospital for a few days to sort it out.

During those first 3 or 4 weeks post-op, my mind would think I wanted to do things, but I just couldn't focus on anything long enough to do it. . .

Now, at 8 weeks post-op, I wear whatever I want and eat what I normally would eat. I even had my first cocktail last evening. I've been holding off until I had a chance to discuss alcohol with my doc, due to the meds I take (warfarin, metoprolol and amiodarone). They said one would be OK, but not to try for more. I had that one, and all is well.

My experience was that over the head shirts were uncomfortable to put on, so I would recommend button up shirts. But, if you really want T-shirts I would pack both and see what works for you. While in the hospital I just wore the gown, and after the catheter was out I had boxers on as well. Like Steve, when I was readmitted for A-flutter it was just the gown, as I figured it really didn't matter who saw what at that point!

I haven't had any caffeine since the day I was readmitted for A-flutter. I don't know if the one cup of coffee I had that morning (first since surgery) caused the A-flutter or not, but I haven't attempted to have any more since. I have been drinking a glass of wine every so often in the last few weeks, but I don't think I would have wanted any in the hospital.

Like many, my appetite was non-existent for the first four weeks or so, and I also lost 15 lbs after surgery. My appetite is back now, but still not to the extent that it was pre-surgery. I never had the feeling that the food tasted like cardboard; I just didn't want any food.

when i had my surgery..... i really didnt care about normal clothes. my gf just helped me put on an extra nightgown from the hospital. and actually i remember haveing boxer shorts to wear. nothing smelled or tasted good for several days but then again they put me on no salt type food! good luck! be prepared for one hell of an expierience!

I preferred large t-shirts. Buttons bothered my incision. Everything that touched my incision bothered it, so large soft t-shirts were the only way I could go.

I don't really have pain from things rubbing on my incisions -- a lot of the area is still numb. They said to expect that for some months after surgery due to the fact that they re-directed a mammary artery to use it for my bypass. Things will be numb for a while until it re-vascularizes.

I couldn't pull anything over my head for a good few days after. Also you'll have wires and tubes etc that make the gown the easiest. I do remember wearing a hoodie home from the hospital (needed the comfort) but I'm pretty sure I needed help putting it on and wished I hadn't when I tried to take it off. No alcohol. Way too many drugs etc. It's a blood thinner and all around bad news. Hopefully once you've recovered and the doctor gives you the go-ahead you can have 1-a-day. I had zero appetite. None. No interest in food for 2-3 days. It got back to normal very slowly. Still not much leaving the hospital on day 7.

Good luck! When's the big day?

Latest posts

Back