Please allow me to introduce myself.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi John & Welcome.

Excellent age 41. I had my valve swapped on my 41st birthday (could have timed that better!). I have a mechanical, didn't get a choice (mech vs tissue). Cardiac surgeon says "You're having mechanical", me says "Fine with me!".

Warfarin is a non issue for me, only those arghhh!!!! moments when you're sitting watching TV at 10PM and you realise you've forgotten your 6PM Warfarin slot.

I'm sitting here typing this and can hear a faint tick. It blows hot and cold, sometimes quite loud and sometimes really quiet, no logic to it. It's generally loud when you least want it to be. Like sitting quietly in Church when the pastor gets up to speak and the room goes quiet, and there's me looking round being paranoid thinking everyone can hear the tick.

Good luck, you'll be fine.

Ade

Since Al mentioned about women who get tissue for childbirth tend to have them last about 10 years, I haven't seen that exact data but I wanted to add PART of that is because being pregnant puts alot of strain on the heart and valves and plays a role in the lifetime of the valve.

I recall reading posts from 2 of our "Moms with (artificial) valves" stating that they got 10 years out of their Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves. One was MNmom. I don't remember the other. Not a large sample I know, but it's all I have.

'AL C'

Greetings, John

Greetings, John

Greetings, John, as an American sailor, I once spent a great 4th of July in Vancouver. Our crew was asked to go ashore in uniform and we found it impossible to buy drinks anywhere. Every time, a Canadian had already picked up the tab before we could ask for the check. You are already learning some of the issues relating to valve selection just by reading these responses. By reading as much as you can, you will build a knowledge base that will help lead you to a choice you are comfortable with. When you speak with your surgeon, you will be glad you can discuss the issue intelligently.

I'm 59 but my surgeon and I decided on a bovine pericardial bio-prosthetic valve because I have a family history that suggests tissue growth would be likely to cause a problem with a mechanical valve. The bio-prosthetic is flexible and less likely to be impaired. So there are possibly other issues that must be considered besides the questions of valve life and anticoagulants. There are no certainties in valve selection but you will feel better about your valve if you are an active participant in making the decision when you speak with your surgeon.

have had both types

have had both types

I have had the pleasure (ha) of having both types of aortic valve. Porcine, placed at 34 yrs and then carbomedics mechanical twice now.
Porcine: my life after recovery was so back to normal. I exercised at the high level I was used to. I felt the same.
Mechanical: I was 11 yrs older, and then had a leaky mitral, too, but my life was somewhat different. I got my own testing machine and adjusted my own coumadin dose after a couple of yrs. The clicking drove me nuts for a long time. Now, I am used to it. My new valve is even bigger and the force of it as well as the clicking seems to be louder, stonger. I am getting used to it.
I would have to say I just felt different after the 2nd time.
But, now that my mitral is repaired and I have a new mechanical, my heart feels like it did with the porcine. Only the weekly testing can be a chore sometimes, but compared to how much diabetics test, I shouldn't whine.
Just remember when they tell you expect about 10 yrs from any tissue, they are pretty much right on. I got 11 from my porcine, and that was considered really good.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I would like to respond to each and every one but I don't think there is the time and space for it. All I can say is thank you , thank you, thank you. I am leaning toward mechanical but have not had my meeting with my cardiologist or surgeon yet. Don't know what will be available (Jude or Ony-x). I could do a turn around at any time and switch to a bovine. I need to gather more info. I read somewhere about the thinking about the surgery was worse than the surgery. I don't think the surgery could be half as bad as I think it is going to be. I just keep seeing myself in the room next to the operating room waiting to go in. Terrified. Then going in going to sleep. Being cut open.The procedure and waking up with a tube in my throat. Tubes and wires everywhere. Then the possible pain. I'm freaked out. I just want it over with. They gave me a less than 1% chance of dying or complications but with what needs to be done it does not seem logical. I mean I am glad it is less than 1%.But how can that be?

Wow. I just read Victor's story and realize I have to do this. Not doing it could undoubtedly end in death. I just wish they could heavily medicate me as I walk in the hospital. Is this possible?

Big welcome John,

Ive done this x2 due to rhuematic fever
avr 18 yrs ago and mvs past Jan but i never had the experience of vr my 1st surgery ,am glad i found them for my 2nd

Just want to share and hope this happens for you ,but each surgery i found
a calm serene as i entered the hospital,like i gave up the fight and accepted the
medical team and trusted their knowledge and just surrendered to them and
trust in God
I feel you will also find that calm for surgery once you actually are in hospital. The worst now for you is the anxiety of the waiting and believe me waiting is worse than the actual surgery....waiting is the hell part of it

So glad your here and ask away any issues or concerns
Well also a big HELLO from yet another Canadian:)

Most of us here agree the wait is very difficult. I had about a month between knowing I needed my second OHS and the date for me to have it. Lots of anxiety and stress during that time.

Once I arrived at the hospital, it is amazing how I felt a calm come over me. It was total acceptance and I think Deb (Zipper) used a good word "surrender". I knew for sure this was a mamouth event in my life but is everyday, another day at the office for the medical teams that take care of us. They've seen and done it all and know what they are doing.

Some members here ask their doctors for anti-anxiety meds to help them along while waiting. You may wish to speak with your doctor.

Thank you all so much for your responses. I would like to respond to each and every one but I don't think there is the time and space for it. All I can say is thank you , thank you, thank you. I am leaning toward mechanical but have not had my meeting with my cardiologist or surgeon yet. Don't know what will be available (Jude or Ony-x). I could do a turn around at any time and switch to a bovine. I need to gather more info. I read somewhere about the thinking about the surgery was worse than the surgery. I don't think the surgery could be half as bad as I think it is going to be. I just keep seeing myself in the room next to the operating room waiting to go in. Terrified. Then going in going to sleep. Being cut open.The procedure and waking up with a tube in my throat. Tubes and wires everywhere. Then the possible pain. I'm freaked out. I just want it over with. They gave me a less than 1% chance of dying or complications but with what needs to be done it does not seem logical. I mean I am glad it is less than 1%.But how can that be?

I'm talking about large centers who Stats ARE that low, My guess the 1% quote for "complications" means major complications, since many people have small bumps in the road. BUT the reason the Mortality rates is so low, is even tho this is not routine for the patient or family member, valve replacements surgery and OHS in general are pretty routine for the surgeons and staff that have alot of experience in doing them. They continuously learn and improve the surgery itself AND the aftercare. And even IF you run in to complications, little bumps or major ones, they know the best ways to take care of that too.

Hi John,
I am in Vancouver and had an On-X mechanical aortic replacement in January of this year when I had just turned 56 (details of where and who below in my tag line). I chose mechanical as I did not want to face such invasive surgery again, and I had no real issues with taking warfarin (mostly due to the down to earth advice given in this forum!). I am very happy with my valve - I do NOT hear it at any time during the day and very rarely at night in bed and only if lying in a particular way. My wife does hear it occasionally in bed but that was mostly for the few months after surgery when she was listening to make sure I WAS still ticking! Now she has relaxed and only hears it very occasionally, and, as has been noted on the forums, the sound becomes more comforting than annoying if you do hear it.
Warfarin is no big deal, but I DO highly recommend that you go for a home testing machine - Roche CoaguChek XS is available through London Drugs for $500 but I think you do need to get a prescription from your doctor. Our insurance did NOT cover the cost nor the cost of test strips, but it is still worth it - as I noted in a post just after I got the machine, I calculated that a single test done every week (most test every 2-4 weeks) would cost around $8, or about the same as a couple of high end Starbucks coffees. Home testing takes only minutes and saves a lot of stress, travel and wait time at labs, plus you get the results immediately and can adjust your dose immediately - my GP was happy to let me home test and self dose once she realised that I probably had more info on all of this than her, thanks to valvereplacement.com!
Everyone's surgery experience is different so I can't say it will be easy or hard. For me it was relatively easy - I was strangely comforted by the knowledge that none of the problem was of my making and could not have been avoided by anything that I had control over and that if I did not get the surgery I would be dead in 2 years - and I had hardly any pain at all. The breathing tube was removed while I was pretty groggy and was not an issue. The funniest feeling is when they remove the chest tubes - not sore but freaky! I was downed in the hospital by a secondary infection not related to the surgery so my exit and recuperation were a little delayed.
Whatever you chose it will be better than what you have now and I can say now after 9 months that I am better than before, even though I was mostly asymptomatic before the surgery.
All the best,
Cameron

I had an aortic tissue valve in Jan. 08 at the age of 66 and I'm having trouble with it. I will need a re op and will probably go mechanical. I am now on coumadin and aspirin as well. My mitral valve is leaking as well.

I will need another OHS. I won't get five years out of my tissue valve much less 15.

My surgeon had done over 2,000 porcine valves and has had only two re ops so it's rare but it does happen

Good luck

John,

Waking up with a vent in my throat was a worry of mine going in, but it turned out to be a non-issue. Many wake up with it already out but in my case it was needed. I was groggy though and semi-awake. I could tell enough that they were going to get my oxygen intake up before removing it. The ICU nurses were great. All the tubes were a concern only to my son who was freaked out by seeing them. If you have sensitive family who will be visiting in the ICU, warn them ahead of time. The tubes will come out one by one soon enough.

As for pain, I found that to be virtually a non-issue. I took advice to take pain meds offered by nurses before I felt pain, and percocet took care of me just fine. :) In fact, a few of my friends called me at the hospital a few days afterwards and thought I was having a party because I sounded so jolly. (That was the percocet talking.:D)

Anyway, the waiting and worrying is the hardest part. You will do fine. Do keep in touch with us....

You are in the same boat as myself. I just found out two weeks ago I would need Valve Replacement. I asked alot of questions and am still asking them. I have to say im not scared of the surgery , Im scared of the bypass machine and ventilator, yeah I know strange.

I am 29 years old and will be having the Ross Procedure done on Nov. 13 at St. Marys Medical Center in Knoxville, TN
I wish you the best of luck...use the search button, and read the stickys at the top of the topics..It helps out tons!

Wow :eek: welcome John – it is a surprise because I don’t think any one of us thought when we were younger that “oh I’ll need OHS when I’m older”. And you are right we need this procedure – my doctor told me he had chosen mechanical for me (I have an ATS) I was leaning toward pig because I had a stuffed pig that giggled when you held it. I wanted the giggle pigs valve, because keeping the situation in a positive frame really helped. :D As far as the brand – your surgeon has practice with the ones that they use daily – I do not think it would be wise to ask them to break out of their routine to get a different brand just for you. I remember thinking surgery and recovery would be much worse than it ended up being, hope the same for you.

The ticking, I have to laugh. With my 6 siblings, we all wanted dibs on dad’s grandfather clock. I have now taken the clock off of my wish list since I have my own internal calming timepiece, I just miss out on hearing the chimes each hour.:p

Latest posts

Back