Please allow me to introduce myself.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnCalderwood

Please allow me to introduce myself.No it is not the Stones song. My name is John Calderwood. I am 41, and will soon be getting an aortic valve replacement Still waiting for the results of a cat scan (or whatever they call it) to see if anything else needs to be done while they are in there. Probably like most of you at some point, still trying to figure out Pigs valve or mechanical. Has anyone ever done a poll or kept a list of people choosing pigs valve (porcine), cows (bovine), human or mechanical? It would be helpful to know who chose what. What age they were. What type of mechanical valve they chose. Where they happy with their decision or would they have chosen something different. How bad is the clicking for some of you? How noticible is it? Is there anybody else out there from Vancouver BC Canada? Thank you. John.

Hi John and Welcome! There is a valve section here with a lot of good information on it about valve choice. I have a bonvine valve.Many young people pick mechanical valves in hopes of not having a surgery again. Others of us for whatever reason have tissue valves. Anyway you can learn a lot in those sections.. Best of luck.

Hi John & welcome.

I have a St Jude mechanical valve that I got almost nine years ago when I was 47. I chose a mechanical over a tissue valve primarily to reduce the probability of repeat surgeries down the road. I've been happy with my choice.

I lead a very active lifestyle. Most of my restrictions are due to age and the rest of my body wearing out!

The ticking has never bothered me. You've very aware of it at first, but now hardly notice it.

Having a mechanical valve also means that I am on Coumadin. It can be a bit of a hassle at times, but not as bad as some make it out to be. The most inconvenient part for me is the regular testing to make sure you're in range.

Lots of good information here. Don't hesitate to ask questions.
Again welcome and good luck,
Mark

welcome, John, to VR. you finally found us and you are what this site is all about. you will get lots of information and support here. I can't answer your questions, but wanted to give you a welcome holler. Blessins.........

Welcome Aboard John !

I suggest your check out the Valve Selection Forum, starting with the "Stickys" at the top of the Thread List which comes up when you click on that Forum Name.

At Best, the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves can yield up to 20 some years of service when implanted in patients over age 60. Young Women who choose Bovine to allow them to have children without Coumadin typically get 10 years of service before replacement. I would expect you would fall somewhere in-between.

Porcine Tissue Valves typically have less pressure gradient which appeals to athletic types who want maximum performance. Unfortunately, even the improved Porcine tissue valves seem to have a shorter 'life span' (for the valve, not necessarily the patient).

After reading my posts in the Valve Selection Forum, you will know that I am a proponent of the technological improvements available from the On-X Mechanical Valves (see www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com).

You will also probably want to read about living with and on anti-coagulation (Coumadin / Warfarin) if you give serious consideration to a mechanical valve. Start with the "Stickys" at the top of the Anti-Coagulation Forum. Also see AL Lodwick's informative website www.warfarinfo.com He is a retired Coumadin Clinic Director and Certified Anticoagulation Care Provider.

'AL Capshaw'

Hi John,
Welcome to the site. It has a wealth of information and if you can't find something, ask, there is usually someone around that can help with the answer. I know it can seem overwhelming right now, as you face surgery, but do your homework and everything will fall into place and soon this will be behind you. I am amazed at how much better I began to feel soon after getting over the hurdle of surgery. I am sure you will feel the same way.

So you live in BC and are a fisherman? Wow! What a great place. I can only assume your prey is salmon? Send photos of some of your trophies.
Take care,
John

John,

Wanted to add my welcome to the forum. I also would call attention to the sticky up top on valve selection. It is a good place to start. Then when you have questions (as you surely will), ask away. There are folks with all sorts of perspectives here and they are friendly and willing to share. YOu have come to the right place.

As for me, I was 63 at the time of surgery, and largely because of my age and my need for combined aortic root and valve replacement, I chose a Medtronics Freestyle (porcine) combined valve and root. But there are many good options to check out.

Best wishes to you as you go forward....

Welcome! ... lots of good info on valve choice ... I went with mechanical at age 49 to avoid (if possible) a second surgery ... follow your doctors advice and your gut ... glad you found us:)

Welcome, John! You will find lots of great information here and, even better, you will find lots of great, caring people! My husband had AVR two months ago and went with an On-X valve. He is 52 and considered a tissue valve because he was hesistant about being on Coumadin, but after doing a lot of research and speaking with his cardio and surgeon he decided on the On-X and is really happy with it. He does not hear the clicking unless he really listens for it (and it has to be really quiet in the room to hear it) so that is not a problem at all, and except for one slightly high reading his INR has been in range since the beginning. Many people home test. Our insurance will cover a machine after David has been on Coumadin for three months so for now he is going to a Coumadin clinic at a local hospital to have it checked. It was weekly and since it has been in range for two months he is going every other week. So even that is not too much of a hassle. You will get lots of info here and your job is to process it all (as much as you can!) and then make a decision based on what is right for you. Looking forward to reading your updates!

Nadine

Hi John, and welcome.

You asked if there was a poll about nonmechanical valve choice, and at one time there was, but I believe the thread is closed now. If I remember correctly, the numbers were almost evenly divided between the porcine and bovine valves. Some members are reporting problems with the valve they received, so you might search member Tobagotwo's threads about his own recent resurgery.

There are also threads asking members if they would chose a tissue valve the second time around. If you do a search, you should easily find them.

Here's a link to a thread that Arylss started dealing with the medical literature dedicated to valve choice.

http://www.valvereplacement.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25565&highlight=Tissue+valve+choice

From Saskatoon to Vancouver, Welcome John!

At the age of 45, surgeon said, "if I can fix the valve I will, if not, I will use a mechanical valve, I don't think you would want to go through this surgery again". I now have a carbomedic valve and yes during the early stages of recovery I heard the ticking, but I believe as the body heals, your body/mind learns to except the ticking. Its been 2 years now and I hear my valve quiet clearly in the shower and at times very faintly in bed. In my case, it's really not that bad. Better than wearing a Timex watch;)

I think Cameron is from Vancouver.

Welcome John, this is a very good source for useful information. The question of "mechanical vs tissue" seems to boil down to two main issues, reoperations or lifelong anti-coagulation medication. You choose:

A mechanical valve should last a long time, maybe lifetime, but at the current state of the science, it is necessary to take anti-coagulant medication with periodic blood INR testing.

A tissue valve will require reoperation and replacement after a decade or so, depending on your age and activity level. At least, that is what seems to be what I have read. However, you should not need to take anti-coagulant drugs, although that is not guaranteed.

My experience with my mechanical valve is:

I have the same valve that was implanted in 1967. After my Sept. '09 visit with my cardio, he said the valve shows "little" sign of failure and to come back in a year.

Anti-coagulant therapy (a warfarin pill per day and a simple blood test every couple of weeks) has never been a problem, nor has excessive bleeding due to cuts and scrapes.

I have not heard my valve "click" for a long, long, long time.

Most importantly, my valve has seldom interfered with my activities, hobbies or lifestyle. Living with a valve, mechanical or tissue, only recquires common sense.

I wish you a speedy, easy recovery.:D:D

John welcome to the forum!

I went with a mechanical valve even with having a history of a bleeding duodenal ulcer. I was only 56 and didn't want to increase the risk of more surgery.

I could hear that wonderful clicking for several years but don't hear it any more.

Lots of good info has been posted for you to check out.

Good luck!

ps
Three weeks ago we were in Canada (Quebec City) to start a Cruise of eastern Canadian ports and Newfoundland. Really enjoyed it.

Hi John & welcome to VR.

I have two mechanical valves, aortic & mitral & have been on coumadin for 34 years. I was 24 years old at the time of my double-valve implant & at that time, the surgeon made the choice of what kind of valve I should have but I never had any regrets over that choice.

In 2006, unfortunately, I had to have the old aortic valve swapped out with a new one but it was not due to the valve malfunctioning but rather to pannus growth in & around the valve, obstructing it's function. So my case was not your typical case & many, many people live many years without ever having to have reoperations to change out the valve.

Good luck with your choice & remember that whatever valve you choose to go with will be fine so long as you are comfortable with your choice.

Welcome John, youve definately come to the right spot for support and answers... There are alot of knowledgeable people on here... You can check out the valve selection forum, theres alot of info on there about both mechanical and tissue valves. You will make the best decision for you. Good luck and keep us posted.

Welcome Aboard John !

I suggest your check out the Valve Selection Forum, starting with the "Stickys" at the top of the Thread List which comes up when you click on that Forum Name.

At Best, the Bovine Pericardial Tissue Valves can yield up to 20 some years of service when implanted in patients over age 60. Young Women who choose Bovine to allow them to have children without Coumadin typically get 10 years of service before replacement. I would expect you would fall somewhere in-between.

Porcine Tissue Valves typically have less pressure gradient which appeals to athletic types who want maximum performance. Unfortunately, even the improved Porcine tissue valves seem to have a shorter 'life span' (for the valve, not necessarily the patient).

After reading my posts in the Valve Selection Forum, you will know that I am a proponent of the technological improvements available from the On-X Mechanical Valves (see www.heartvalvechoice.com and www.onxvalves.com).

You will also probably want to read about living with and on anti-coagulation (Coumadin / Warfarin) if you give serious consideration to a mechanical valve. Start with the "Stickys" at the top of the Anti-Coagulation Forum. Also see AL Lodwick's informative website www.warfarinfo.com He is a retired Coumadin Clinic Director and Certified Anticoagulation Care Provider.

'AL Capshaw'

Since Al mentioned about women who get tissue for childbirth tend to have them last about 10 years, I haven't seen that exact data but I wanted to add PART of that is because being pregnant puts alot of strain on the heart and valves and plays a role in the lifetime of the valve.

ps Darn you you have that song stuck in my head now...it could be worse tho :)

hi john,
as you can see, you've come to the right place. the people here are not just informative and helpful, but they are the most supportive group of folks you'll meet!
my husband, joey, had a ross procedure done 8 years ago.
when considering the ross, it's important to find a surgeon who has done a number of these, as it's a more complicated surgery.
he chose to do this surgery because he would not need coumadin.
please take your time to read all you can about different valve selections.
there are numerous threads on this site that are very helpful and reassuring.
i remember one of the most difficult parts of the pre-surgical time was deciding what type of valve joey wanted. once he had made up his mind, everything else fell into place (not to say that it is an easy time).
please keep coming back, ask any and all questions you may have and we will be here to hold your hand through this.
be well,
sylvia

Hi John! I am 39 and chose the On-x mechanical valve because I am hoping not to have another surgery... I do hear myself tick but only when it is very quiet and when I am in the tub/shower...It is kind of funny but when I do hear myself tick if I open my mouth the ticking gets louder.... Taking coumadin daily and getting tested was an adjustment but well worth it to me. I am very happy with my choice... I wish you luck in your choices ahead and your surgery. You have found a wonderful place with very caring informative people.

Hi John
I don't have anything to add to what the others have shared but wanted to welcome you to this great forum from another Canadian. Best wishes with your decision.
P.S. Have visited Vancouver on a number of occasions and do love the city!

Back