Pain relief question

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
With all the talk in the news about acetaminophen (Tylenol) lately, I've been wondering, what would we take (those of us who are taking warfarin and have been told not to take aspirin, ibuprofen, etc) if we had a headache or other soreness?

I've never really liked Tylenol as it never relieved pain for me. It would help lower a fever, but that was about it. Before my valve replacement in '97, I used to always take ibuprofen or buffered aspirin, and that worked very well.

So what are others taking? Would we need to go to some Rx based pain reliever?

As I am UK then acetaminophen for us is paracetamol and that is what I take. In the UK the packaging is pretty good with warnings, also in pharmacists when you try to purchase a medication which contains acetaminophen (paracetamol) the assistant will warn you about taking it with other acetaminophen (paracetamol) and will ask what medication you are on, if any.

Sometimes I use acetaminophen (paracetamol) with codeine but not often.

Our acetaminophen (paracetamol) comes in 500mg sizes with the warning not to exceed 8 tablets in 24 hours. Pharmacists won't sell large quantities in one transaction, it isn't permitted by law to buy a large economy pack so they don't make them. 32 tablets is the largest size pack. I do have stronger tablets, more codeine, and those packs are 100 each but it is prescription only.

Thanks Sue, but in my case, acetaminophen doesn't do much for me, so I would think the paracetamol would have the same effect. So what would you take if you could no longer take that or it did not provide relief?

Talk to your cardio or PCP.
I take Tylenol and will continue to do so, unless it's yanked off the market. I sometimes take 1/2 tablet of Extra Strength Tylenol PM -- maybe 3 X week. I very very seldom get headaches.
I have taken Advil on a few occasions. I don't have GERD or any other issues that would contraindicate usage.

Acetaminophen and paracetamol are one and the same, just a different name.

There is nothing else I can take so in the very unlikely event of this being taken off the OTC market in the UK I would need to get it on prescription.

It doesn't do much for me either, the one with codeine is better but can make me nauseous so I avoid it. As I am a kidney stone former and also have sciatica plus other aches and pains it is just a case of grin and bear it. I can't wait to pass another kidney stone, that should be great fun as the drug I used to take for it is no longer permitted for me. :)

Tylenol and other meds that contain acetaminophen are not being banned or forbidden to use.
The discussion has been that the general public does not always realize how much of the stuff they are taking and which products actually contain substantial levels of it. The risk is for the chronic pill poppers or those with pre-existing liver issues.
Got a headache? Take whatever works. (within reason)

Bina, I understand that they are not talking about banning it. My question is what else could you take IF it was banned, but more importantly, since Tylenol doesn't work for me, what else could I take? Is there a Rx that I may need to ask my Doc for, or is there something OTC that I could take?

I take Aleve myself. I know, I know, it's a no no, but hey, I take whatever works. Outside of going Ibuprofen or Naproxen Sodium, talk to your Doc.

Ross, why is it a no, no? I've never been able to get anyone to tell me why. I understand the Advil issue with stomach bleeding, but what with Aleve?

Ibuprofen and Naproxen Sodium both have the ability to cause a gastric bleed. Unless you have a history of GERD or Ulcers, I wouldn't worry about it, but certainly don't take more the recommended amount.

No, your not supposed to do this, but like I said, I'll take whatever works, whether it's on the no no list or not.

The issue with acetaminophen is when people take more than they're supposed to, or if they take it regularly and drink alcohol regularly, too.

If you're following the directions as to how much to take, and you're not taking multiple products with acetaminophen in them at the same time (such as taking a cold remedy that contains acetaminophen and non-aspirin pain relief tablets of acetaminophen at the same time), you'll be fine.

To echo Ross, ibuprofen and naproxen sodium are both NSAIDS, and both can cause some stomach bleeding, particularly above the regular over-the-counter dosage, or if you take it continuously over a period of days. Many say that Aleve (naproxen sodium) is better tolerated, but the FDA shows equal concern for it. Aspirin is also an NSAID, but always causes some small bleeding in the stomach (or the colon, if enterically coated).

Best wishes,

........My question is what else could you take....... since Tylenol doesn't work for me, what else could I take? Is there a Rx that I may need to ask my Doc for, or is there something OTC that I could take?

There are warning against using Advil and thus I do not want to responsible for encouraging you to take it, although I am personally taking it now for my tennis elbow inflammation. I always loved Advil and it was my life saviour. I am not a Tylenol fan as it does nothing to me either.

I took 2 (200mg ea) Advils over 12 hours period and the pain is much less. So far so good...I am taking it on my own risk until I see my doctor on Tuesday and ask him if there is something else I can use or see what he advises me.

If you think one or two pills will do the work for you, you may want to take the smallest dose to start with and see the results!! I have light GERD (Acid reflux) and tolerate Advil.

Latest posts

Back