Pacer leads still in...Ouch!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scott.eitman

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Before I was released from the hospital a year ago, the external Pacer Leads were cut at skin level and left inside.

For the first few months, I had these little bumps in my skin from the wires tring to get out. They were tender to the touch and about once a day for a few minutes hurt like h...

For the most part, that went away for awhile. The area just below my rib cage would feel sore, but not that big of a deal.

About 6 weeks ago, things changed for the worse. It feels like the leads moved. I have two spots about an inch above were the leads originally came out that is extremely sore (8 out of 10 pain level).

I met with my surgeon yesterday. He did not believe that it could be my leads. I want to believe him, but don't. He is not aware of anyone having a similar problem.

Can anyone relate to this?

So sorry to read about your discomfort.
Both my surgeries, they fully removed the leads. They were 'pulled' a day or so before I went home.

I remember reading of another similar irritant and the surgeon (in his/her office) broke the skin extended the leads and cut them shorter but then blood thinners would still come into play

What solution did the cardio have ?

One of my two leads was left in because they could not get it out (at least not without possibly tearing and harming my heart). It has not caused my any problem. However, I have heard that even haveing just a pacemaker lead still in (even if you don't have a pacemaker) can preclude a person from having an MRI. That's somewhat of a bummer.

I went tissue, but was on ACT (INR 2.5-3.0) for 3 months because I got a Dacron ring around my MV. The second-banana OR surgeon who was in charge of pulling my pacer wires before discharge must have had a bad experience with bleeding, because he refused to do it when my INR was around 2.7. (Fresh-memory details in the "Norm's story. . ." thread.) So they gave me Vit. K which made him comfy, and he pulled them, but it took me another day or two on Warfarin to get my INR back up high enough that they'd let me go home! :( I think I'm glad they pulled 'em, though.

Scott
what did your cardio say on Monday? I hope this gets resolved soon! Thanks for visiting me and all you support it ment so much to me. Keep me posted on the wires. I am recovering slowly but each day is better. I'm so happy to be apart of the class of 2011!!!!

Rachel

So sorry to hear about your situation. Fresh out of surgery, I can still remember it like it happened yesterday. They pulled mine on my 3rd day post op but it's a memory I'd rather not remember. I hope you get relief soon.

-Eli

He had never worked with someone whose leads were bothering them like mine. He has seen where they get infected, but mine do not show signs of infection. He suggested stretching and seeing what happens. I am playing the game for now.

Scott, I was wonderring did they try to pull the leads, but stoppped since they were attached well and didn't want to risk a bleed, or did they not try at all? I'm just curious since alot of people with either tissue valves or mech are on coum right after surgery but most, That I know of at least, had their pulled unless one or both were stuck.
I hope they go back to not being a bother

Scott, I was wonderring did they try to pull the leads, but stoppped since they were attached well and didn't want to risk a bleed, or did they not try at all? I'm just curious since alot of people with either tissue valves or mech are on coum right after surgery but most, That I know of at least, had their pulled unless one or both were stuck....

Due to the risk of internal bleeding, they did not attempt to pull the leads. They were hacked (not cut in a professional manner) off. This was not even on my radar to be concerned about. The leads were pulled out after my 1st and I just assumed they would be again.

I talked with a patient recently that had the forthought to have the leads pulled out right before he started on Coumadin. That is the way to do it!

Scott

. . .
I talked with a patient recently that had the forthought to have the leads pulled out right before he started on Coumadin. That is the way to do it!

Scott

I may be wrong (again), but I think we're all on an anti-coagulant like Heparin during the first few days post-op, until the Warfarin/Coumadin builds up in our blood and counters the clotting affect of our Vitamin K. The Heparin may not affect the standard INR test exactly the way Warfarin/Coumadin does, but I'd expect it to increase the risk of bleeding from the wire-pull about the same way, wouldn't it?

I have tissue valve but had short course of coumadin and my leads were pulled after I had been started on coumadin. I think most of us have the leads pulled while on ACT as they need those leads in for those first days of our recovery.... that is the reason the temporary pacer is placed at all. Coumadin is usually started right away after surgery to start to get the INR level up.

I've had 3 surgeries and my leads have been removed after a few days in the hospital. I had mechanical valves for the last 2 surgeries, and nothing was mentioned about being on coumadin as a reason to leave them in. They were pulled. It feels a bit weird, but there was no bleeding issues. They are only attached to the heart with a stitch I was told. Don't know why your surgeon leaves them in. I would think it could be a problem down the line as you are having.

my wires were pulled just a few days after surgery and I was most definitely on a Heparin IV and had probably
started taking Coumadin by that time. The surgeon's assistant gave them a good yank and I almost punched him
in the nose. LOL

Latest posts

Back