One month post op and my heart is still pounding like a hammer--this is normal?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike dab

I am slowly getting my INR adjusted, gathering some strength, and having less sternum pain.

But the ONE thing that is driving me crazy is my heartbeat pounding in the back of my head whenever I try to sleep.
The Dr. says this is normal, along with the elevated heart rate. Something about the sack around my heart having to
heal and get smooth again.

No matter how I put my head on the pillow, it never stops. I sleep for a few hours and it wakes me up every night.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how to deal with this?

I did not feel a "beat" but I did most definitely feel that my pulse was stronger immediately after surgery. This kept up for a couple of months, but gradually subsided. My pulse is probably just as strong now, but I am no longer aware of it. I would say to just give it time, and think of it as a reminder that your heart is still beating.

As I read it your question is "how to deal with it" - my only suggestion on how to deal with it is to attempt to not obsess over it.

My valve was (is?) very "thumpy" in my chest and I hear it quite well. If I focus on it like a meditation object then I can stay focused on it for ages.

Its when I go do things that I found myself discovering that I hadn't heard it for hours.

Basically things aree different now, there is no denying it. So really it becomes a change managament thing.

Longer term all will sort itself out. Knowing that may help you deal with it in the short term

I'm just under 8 weeks from surgery and mine is EXACTLY the same. It is quite noticeable, especially when I lay my head on the pillow in a certain position. I have been assuming that it was due to the larger valve opening and a difference in blood flow. I have a routine cardio appt this afternoon and this is on my list of items for discussion. I'm hoping he can shed some light on this.

For me, the thumping was louder when I was lying on my back or left side. I would roll over onto my right side and eureka!, I would barely notice my heart beating. Try different positions, hopefully one works better for you.

It happened to me too. I asked the cardiologist at a 6month post-op appointment about the possible reasons for its occurrence, and he said he had no clue! At least you got an answer from your doctor!

All I can suggest is to try different positions. While it seems to be different for everyone I think it is normal. I'm 5 months out and my heart pounds when I take a deep breath and in certain positions - like arching my back. One of my Dr's said it should get better after a few months (not yet). I saw on this forum someone mentioned it was better after 10 months.

Hey, I got it too! Both times! Just had a month ago, a tricuspid replacement and I thought that was over ... I have a bovine ST Jude AVR, so loud seemed with earplugs house could or would shudder...and NOW with my one month old new Tricuspid, here we go again ...???? No one' explained it to me either. I'm kinda skinny right now and DO find it useful to see all the places I could get some sound or vibrato out of... Guess it helps if youre a singer! I wish a doctor would explain this...!!!
Steve, could you do more of an explanation ..the penny's just not dropping.... The semi didn't leave his namevand address.... Glad go be back. Are definitely worse clubs one could BE in!!!!!! Michelle

My cardio explained it as follows:

You've had a lot of years to get used to your heartbeat/pulse as it was pre-surgery with the heart pumping through the smaller than normal opening. Now you don't have the restriction and the pulse is noticeably stronger. It will moderate in time as the body adjusts to the new valve. Doctors can feel the stenosis in the pulse, as it's weaker, this was used as a diagnostic test prior to echocardiograms

big_L - I would agree with your cardio. My experience was that I didn't "hear" my actual heartbeat, but I did hear my pulse much more loudly when lying on my left side. I attributed this to being able to hear a stronger pulse in my carotid artery. Over time, I just learned not to pay it any attention. When I hear it, at least I am sure my heart is beating!

Hi, Mike (The Hammer Man!)--
Yes, we all seem to have had various sensations, sounds, poundings, thumps etc after these procedures. As others have said here, often this is a temporary phenomenon -- we get used to these sounds and sensations AND/OR they naturally subside with time. I'm sure you already have had experiences in life where
you faced some annoying or disturbing distraction--noisy train nearby, noisy neighbors' habits, whatever, and amazingly, with time, they become virtually "invisible" to our senses. It's all about adaptation. Give your body (AND MORE IMPORTANTLY, YOUR MIND) time to adjust to this change, Mike.

Also just want to encourage you to find the beauty in all that business going on inside you--it's your little army of lifesavers working for you!

I'm 17 days post op and it booms - especially with my head in different positions (like when my head is tilted down and my chin is tucked closer to my chest, or when I inhale deeply). It doesn't hurt, but it feels uncomfortable/weird. I find I really notice it when get up in the middle of the night, especially when its quiet. All I keep wondering is (a) is it ok? Sounds like it is and (b) how loud/sensitive is this pounding feeling going to be when I work out? Is it even more prominent during exercise at higher heart rates? Sure hope it subsides....
Tony

The way it was explained to me is that the heart was in the pericardial sac, but in OHS they cut open the pericardial sac but they do not close it (at least that's the way mine was done). Over time scar tissue will form and essentially close the sac.

Hi Mike,

I am POD #11 with bovine 2.1 cm valve for BAV/stenosis. I asked while I was in the hospital about the pounding/bounding sensation/sounds. They gave the same answer as they gave to AZ Don- the pericardial sac is not closed as it would heal with scarring and constriction if sewn together. By leaving it to form its own larger closure, it is allowing more liberty for your body to transmit the pulsing sensation.
I sleep with one of those airline U shaped pillows. I wonder if it would help your pounding sensation. If not, do like was suggested and use it as a lullaby or meditation mantra. It is there working for you.

Claire

I had the opposite experience, just for some variety. All my life I'd been able to hear my heartbeat during quiet moments, as a clicking/snapping sound. In retrospect this was probably because of the extremely pronounced heart murmur I had as a result of my particular congenital deformation, but I completely took it for granted; I figured that's just what hearts sounded like. Then, when I woke up in the ICU, I could not hear my heart, and I've barely heard it since. It's just so amazingly quiet now, and I find it really kind of amazing, and a powerful indicator of how messed up I was before and how much better I am now.

Um...that's probably not really helpful to you, though. So here's some advice from the pre-surgical me: try raising yourself up on two pillows when you sleep. I always found that made the heartbeat a bit quieter.

What wonderful answers from my wonderful new friends! It's 7 am and I've been up since 5 am, because of the pounding. It does make a difference where my head is on the pillow. On my side, not too bad. I invariably wake up earlier when on my back. So maybe I'll try a different pillow.

I am on Metoprolol and it doesn't seem to help.

My surgeon told me Metoprolol was short term, my cardiologist says it's for life. What are most of you doing; short term or forever?

Latest posts

Back