On the other side

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Charlie

Eureka Springs , Arkansas in the Ozark Mountains
I had a rough go. I had surgery on the 20th and was not released from the hospital to home until the 29th.

The valve replacement was put in and in recovery I arrested, twice. They had to "reposition" the valve to make all work properly. I also had problems with adequate oxygen levels in my blood and was on 100% oxygen for the 7 of my nine days in the hospital.

Seems I had a problem with something called the Foraman Ovale which as I understand it is a one way valve between the right and left atriums. This valve allows nutrients and oxygen in-vitro and when we take our first breaths in this world it slams shut and eventually heals over.

Apparently mine didn't. Once the valve was functioning properly the Foraman Ovale couldn't deal with the increased pressures and was open and wouldn't re-shut. It took several days but my oxygen sat rates came into expected parameters and eventually I was taken off oxygen.

The upshot of this is I am alive, getting better each day and looking forward to the rest of my life.

Ya man! Welcome home! I had my surgery on July 27th and will probably be released tomorrow after they put a pacemaker in. I'm happy your home, 9 days is rough I'm pushing 8. Everyones surgery is unique, who would of thought you would of had that complication, oxygen for a week that is rough but than 2 days later home, well done.

Sorry to hear you had a rough bump, hopefully the rest of your recovery is smooth. Its good to hear you are home now. Did they do anything about the Patent foremen ovale?

Julian,

Thanks for the well wishes back at you my friend, back at you.

Lynlw,

No, they left it be. After about 7 days the pressures between the atrium's got better and the PFO seemed to have shut as my oxygen levels hit normal overnight last Thursday. However, I was told that it will be monitored for a while.

Whew Charlie! I was starting to worry about you. But so glad to hear you finally made it back to the comfort of your home. I hope that everything evens out and you get back on your feet. :)

I had a PFO which I only learned about after the surgery. The surgeon patched it up along with all the other stuff he did.

I had a PFO which I only learned about after the surgery. The surgeon patched it up along with all the other stuff he did.

Mine shut on its own after a while (verified by a heart cath). I guess I am very lucky to be here. My aortic valve was totally fused and only working ever so slightly. As they say, I was a heart attack waiting to happen. The good news is that I had no other heart disease so at least I have that going for me. They didn't know about my PFO problem prior either but the Surgeon said that the reason it would not function properly was that my heart was pumping about 90% more effectively than before the operation. What a journey but I don't remember any "white light" or "tunnels" or anything remotely like that. I do have some recollection of being wheeled back to the OR with nurses and Doctors surrounding my gurney, I distinctly remember one person missing my breath bag each time it was his or her turn and the resultant loss of breath, freaky.

WOW Charlie!!! ... sounds like a very rough go!!! ... Glad you are home and on the road to recovery!!! ... Take it slow ... sleep, eat and walk ... Good to have you on this side of the mountain:thumbup:

Latest posts

Back