OHS scars in uncomfortable settings

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i'm sure the scar is more of a problem for women, but are you more self-conscious
around men (we know where they're looking) or other women?

i don't expect it will be a problem for me. i've gotten used to being stared at as one
of the very few foreigners here, although i do feel like a circus attraction sometimes.
especially when running shirtless where the locals are unaccustomed to chest hair.
won't know til it's done how much will show under the fur.

i'm planning (hoping) to start long-distance running again after avr. my plan is to
begin training asap after surgery, then run the nanning marathon within a year.
if all goes well, i'd love to do the great wall marathon a year later, although that
one is pretty aggressive, including a 3km section of 5,000 stairs!

i'm tempted to shave and show off the scar during the runs.

Its been about 18 months since surgery, and only once has my scar been shown in public. Too many eyes. And I got tired of hearing "your too young" and the sympathy.
It will stay covered up from now on until an inner strength breaks free.

Holy smokes.....I've missed a good thread the past couple of days.....oh well.
I've never worn low cut tops, mostly cuz I don't have anything to brag about, but in summer heat I'll wear v-necks now without any thought to my scar.
Yes, we have a "nature club" down the street, and they are regular people: all shapes and sizes!

Holy smokes.....I've missed a good thread the past couple of days.....oh well.
I've never worn low cut tops, mostly cuz I don't have anything to brag about, but in summer heat I'll wear v-necks now without any thought to my scar.
Yes, we have a "nature club" down the street, and they are regular people: all shapes and sizes!

Useless without pictures:D:p

I wear it with pride..along with my C-section scars (low bikini line) and my 4 little marks on my back from bone marrow donation.

Yup... I wear the v-neck tops, the low cut dresses and swim suits on our cruises. If it weren't for that scar (twice over), I wouldn't be here. I don't think it is so hard to look at that it should freak anyone. My wonderful surgeon said both times he cut my sternum higher than the skin, glued me together so no railroad tracks and it's quite thin and pale. And even if it were not so presentable, I'd probably show it anyway. :)

Only folks who know me have ever commented about my scar. No stranger at the pool or beach etc has ever commented to me.......yet.

Yup... I wear the v-neck tops, the low cut dresses and swim suits on our cruises. If it weren't for that scar (twice over), I wouldn't be here. I don't think it is so hard to look at that it should freak anyone. My wonderful surgeon said both times he cut my sternum higher than the skin, glued me together so no railroad tracks and it's quite thin and pale. And even if it were not so presentable, I'd probably show it anyway. :)

Only folks who know me have ever commented about my scar. No stranger at the pool or beach etc has ever commented to me.......yet.

I wear my "battle scars" proudly too!!! :):p

First time in the Caribbean Sun Since,

First time in the Caribbean Sun Since,

We will be heading to St. Maarten (the home of the clothing optional beaches) for Christmas and New Years. This will be our 14th year - should have been 15 but instead of being at the beach last year, I had a date with Dr. Bhatnagar to get my valves repaired. I will be sporting my v neck swimsuit that I purchased last year and never got to wear. So, should I expect to burn on my scar more? Or just tan as usual - with or without the lines!
When visiting the beaches I will be checking out for scars - something I never paid attention to in the past.

Judy, I think everyone will be distracted by those great Flip-Flop sandals!

Thanks, the photo was taken just after I had completed the 60km Weekend To End Breast Cancer Walk a couple of years ago. I hadn't thought about taking them but I just put them in the things to pack pile!

Latest posts

Back