OHS scars in uncomfortable settings

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
M

Mary

We were discussing various issues on Chat, and I was elected to start a thread concerning nudity and surgical scars.
Has anyone gone to a nudist colony and had any qualms about showing their incision? I've led a sheltered life ;) so can't answer from my personal experience. Anyone have recollections of uncomfortable settings where they wish they hadn't undergone replacement due to the scar?
This isn't meant to be a steamy, true confession type thread, but a serious discussion of post-op valve replacement/repair issues, and the way they impact our self-esteem.:rolleyes::p:p

Good thread Mary .... I don't worry about showing my scar ... it is about eleven inches and mostly cover by hair ... I think most men don't even think about it.

Can't say that I've been to any nudist colonies lately...interested to see who is going to own up to this one!

I can't really say that I am bothered by my scar even though this scar doesn't look as good as my 28 year old one did. I wore a two piece this summer at the beach and my scar was very visible. If anyone was looking, I didn't notice.

Kim

No nudist colony for me, but did wear a bathing suit at the beach this past summer which did in fact show my scar. noted some people looking, but no one had the nerve to come up to me and ask any questions, so I figured who cares about them. :D

I had a client, an older lady and I could see her scar although it was very faint ... I finally decide to ask her about it sharing first that I also had one and shared with her my AVR story ... she was pleased and relayed her story of AVR 20 years a go ... the bond was formed ... maybe I need to shave and show it off more ... might be a good way to make friends and influence people:D

Gee--

Joe had scars everywhere. He had three valve surgeries, two in the sternum and one through his side, he also had two lung surgeries one on each side, on his back, a gallbladder surgery, an appendectomy, a mastoid scar, not to mention all kinds of hole type scars from tubing and other stuff.

I never even thought about his scars. Most of them were very thin lines.

I thought he was my hero, and those scars reminded me of that.

Sooner or later we all get some kind of scar from something or other.

I've never been to a nudist colony, and I am sure at my age, never will go.:p But I venture to say that scars would be a non-issue there, since the vast majority probably have at least one.

Mary:

Doncha know that OHS scars would be ignored? After all, think of all the scars that you would be seeing:

Hysterectomy
Caesarean
Colon cancer
Breast biopsies
Knee/hip joint replacements
Total body reductions (as on "Plastic Surgery Before & After")

These, I'm not sure about:

Mastectomy and breast reconstruction
Prostate cancer

It does give a person something to think about. After all, my OHS incision would pale in comparison to some of these.....

And, with a tan, some of these would be unnoticeable! :)

Forgot to also say, when you are somewhere where the scar is quite visible, like at the beach, there are other people there who may also be worried about their appearance.

They are much more worried about themselves than they are surprised about your scar. As a matter of fact, it might comfort some people to see that there are others with figure flaws, since we all have them.

So, you are worried about YOU, but others are worried more about themselves.

I haven't had AVR yet but my aunt has, and she wears low cut tops all the time. Her surgeon somehow made the incision so it runs along the side of the breast, almost as if it's a shadow or something. Her surgery was at Beaumont. She didn't have an aneurysm to resect though.

I never go to nudist colonies anymore because the one time I went I had an attractive lady tell me, "WOW!!!, That thing is huge!"...and she was not looking at my chest. So I don't like to draw attention to myself. Sorry, you know I could not resist that one.
But no, I have always been comfortable with my scar...like it was said before, I think most guys don't worry about it. I also don't think that ladies should worry about their scar either.

No opportunity to visit a nudist colony but I probably would consider it if invited. I just don't care that much any more about body image - it is what it is.

However, I do not tend to show too much of my scar with business clothing. I like to keep my private life private and only a couple of people at work know about my surgeries.

I never go to nudist colonies anymore because the one time I went I had an attractive lady tell me, "WOW!!!, That thing is huge!"...and she was not looking at my chest. .

She was probably referring to your M&M tatoo!;):p

I do a fair bit of modelling, and sometimes the designer/photographer wants a shot with the shirt open/unbuttoned. They usually scratch that idea when I show them my scar (I always tell them upfront about it, but I think they're always surprised by the size when I actually show that it to them). It's too much trouble to try and get rid of it in photoshop.

I run my own personal nudist colony and for me, showing off my scars is something I don't think about. Now with that said, should I become a public NC, I would have issues. I have a scar running from the middle upper left buttcheek down and around to the back from hip surgery, another running from mid back to mid front of right side for open lung biopsy, multiple hernia repair scars, heart surgery railroad tracks etc. Yes, I think I would have an issue in public.

No Nudist colony here...or ever!!! my scar is still very new but thin and thankfully only 3 inches long (exactly I measured it ). But I think for the next year I will keep it covered as much as possible to optimize healing, however after that...if it shows... it shows I am proud of myself for getting through this!
Dana

I wear mine like a badge of honor. My nephew is all of 7 and he thinks its the coolest thing. When I told them what they did he looks at me pie eyed ! He thinks its very cool that they stopped my heart and did stuff to it.

Back