No shortcuts with Coumadin

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

witzkeyman

:( :( Sometimes we want to believe that someone that has been doing something for a while can give you the inside track on how to avoid something and replacing it with something more desireable. I tested the waters and found out the truth. There aren't any shortcuts with Coumadin. It's nothing to play with. Thanks for all the members who helped participate in my exploration, and help me better understand anti-coagulation.

Lights Came On?

Lights Came On?

Hey Witz,

It's good to hear your experiment went in a positive direction. As noted in the previous dialogue in your earlier thread, we'd love to keep you around for a long time.

Coumadin is a necessary thing for those of us who have artificial valves. It's not really that big of a thing to have to deal with. It amounts to taking a pill or two every day and checking on a regular basis to make sure we're doing the right dosage to stay within our INR zone. I know people who take more pills to cure their headaches on a daily basis than I've ever had to take to manage my INR.

I really count myself as pretty lucky. A couple of my teachers have to do the insulin thing to manage their diabetis. Daily finger sitcks and daily injections v. taking a pill or two; I'm glad I just do a couple of pills and check my INR once a week. It's more of a simple routine rather than a inconvenience.

Too often we seem to get caught-up in negative perspectices as we deal with the day-to-day challenges life presents us. There're enough big issues that we dial with; coumadin management doesn't have to be a big issue. Sometimes just following the norm is easier than looking for a way around the norm.

Katy's advice in your previous thread concerning getting stable and comfortable with managing your INR is great advice. Once you get comfortable, get yourself a home monitor. Managing your INR will seem pretty easy when you reach this point. Good luck!

-Philip

Coumadin is simply not something to play with. Do as instructed or face some heavy penalties. There is no in between.

Ross said:
Coumadin is simply not something to play with. Do as instructed or face some heavy penalties. There is no in between.
thanks Ross. everything is hitting me at 150 mph. I didn't have any knowledge that I was even sick a few months ago. the passing out, shortness of breath and chest pains sure hit me hard.

witzkeyman said:
thanks Ross. everything is hitting me at 150 mph. I didn't have any knowledge that I was even sick a few months ago. the passing out, shortness of breath and chest pains sure hit me hard.

I just celebrated my 13th year after my dissection/rupture of my aorta. Until that night when I was 33 years old, I didn't worry about too much. Life was forever changed literally in a heart beat. Being dead and brought back gives you a real appreciation for life all around you.

witzkeyman said:
I didn't have any knowledge that I was even sick a few months ago. the passing out, shortness of breath and chest pains sure hit me hard.

witzkeyman,
You are not alone in not having any knowledge about being sick.
In my situation, I was told I needed OHS and it was done in 5 days. And I didn't have ANY prior symptoms. I was 110% sure these doctors were making a huge mistake - and you wouldn't believe HOW close I came on NOT signing those consent forms - honest to gods truth.

Perhaps I was like you during my early recovery. Barely taking any kind of pills before surgery and then being told I have to take this medication for life. It is depressing - like another train hitting you again. But you'll see with time, it will get better. Hey, I'm talking from experience - I was a real basket case. (please no comments from you other members:) )

Its all about acceptance.

I wish you the best and good health

Freddie is right......for some of us the first few months post op are really hard to cope with.

When I joined VR a year ago Ross asked me why I had lurked so long without joining up, I confessed that I was embarrassed by my depression and lack of coping abilities. I was just so used to being the "stable and solid" person in the family, not the weak, miserable one. I was a huge basket case!!

Witzkey, this will all pass......please hang in there and listen to these wonderful people.:)

Witzkeyman - I'm glad to see that you are 'seeing the light' about Coumadin.

NOW, please go see the 'experts' (GastroEnterologist) to determine the Root Cause of your long term Diarrhea issue. Once you get THAT under control, managing your Coumadin will become a LOT easier.

Be sure to ask about your concerns over the acid-control medications. You can discuss that AFTER you learn what is causing your continued diarrhea. Who knows, you may not even need those medications that you are concerned about. But FIRST, you need to get to the 'root of the problem'.

Good Luck!

'AL Capshaw'

Glad to hear you finally came around my friend! As I said before, I have been on coumadin better than half my life, since the age of 24! I too wished that it was all a "bad" dream but it was reality & I had to cope w/reality or face the alternative.....death! :eek:

Hang in there, it takes a long while to absorb everything but eventually you will get back on track & go on with your life with your mended heart! Take care!:)

Glad to read your post. You are allowed some "freak out" time.;) Unfortunately, freaking out about warfarin can be very risky - so I'm glad you see "the light" in such a short period.

Last night I sat down on my bed and reached for my pill box to take my Coumadin. It hit me that it really is habit for me. I don't stop to think "Gee, I'm on a medication, I'm a heart patient. I'm "fragile." or any such thing. I just take the meds, test weekly and live my life. Occasionally it gives me 5 minutes or so of having to figure dose out when I get an out of range reading, but it really is all second nature for me. I've been on it for 16 years and I can't really tell you when it became 2nd nature.

I give a lot of information here and personal experience to members who have Coumadin question. I'm sure there are probably a few here who think I live, eat, and breath being a "patient on Coumadin".:) But the truth is, it's no different than giving advice on parenting to my son and daughter-in-law (when asked.... or tactfully when needed.:D ) I don't walk around every day thinking about parenting. It's just a part of my life - part of my "autonomic nervous system" - if you get my meaning.

Eventually you too will get to this point. I hope you've had a chance to visit www.warfarinfo.com. It really is your best source for solid information. Don't hesitate to keep asking questions here.

Thanks Karlynn ,for the information on the warfarin web site. I checked it out and had alot of information. My INR is still low and keeps getting lower, from 1.4 to 2.0. That web site answered some ?'s I had.
We sometimes forget that we are a special breed of people. :rolleyes:
Thanks again

Ross said:
I just celebrated my 13th year after my dissection/rupture of my aorta. Until that night when I was 33 years old, I didn't worry about too much. Life was forever changed literally in a heart beat. Being dead and brought back gives you a real appreciation for life all around you.
so Ross,
you are close to my age
I'm 43.

Bina said:
Freddie is right......for some of us the first few months post op are really hard to cope with.

When I joined VR a year ago Ross asked me why I had lurked so long without joining up, I confessed that I was embarrassed by my depression and lack of coping abilities. I was just so used to being the "stable and solid" person in the family, not the weak, miserable one. I was a huge basket case!!

Witzkey, this will all pass......please hang in there and listen to these wonderful people.:)
reminds me of myself.

Witzkeyman - At 46, I'm also near your age. I've been on Coumadin for almost 10 years now, along with a BP pill. Before surgery, I took BP pill, so only added a couple of pills (a 6 and 1 mg most days). I've been stable for quite a while, and frankly, can't even remember when my last dosage adjustment was made.

The other day I filled out a form for insurance at my new job. It wasn't a matter of possibly getting denied, but they still wanted history. When I came to the line for "Heart Disease - Yes or No", I contemplated my answer! I HAD Heart Disease for 22 years, but for the last 10 years, I consider myself free of disease. There will come a time when you feel completely healthy, just like you did prior to the surgery.

My husband was 44 when he had his first surgery. He lived out a normal lifespan to age 75, even though he had multiple medical problems. And he was on Coumadin for all that time. BTW, he did not die from any direct heart malfunction. His valves were still in working order until a few moments before he departed.

So, I know that this surgery works. It gave him back his life. And I know that Coumadin was also a lifesaver. Joe had 3 valve surgeries.

He also didn't miss much fun in life. He enjoyed it very much, and held down responsible jobs until he couldn't work any longer.

Latest posts

Back