New wrinkle 2+ years after AVR

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruthienc1

I haven't visited VR in a long time, but need to ask a question...... The past month or so I have noticed that I am getting out of breath very easily. Just tonight I walked up our driveway (which has only a slight slope) and was so out of breath I checked the pulse oximeter (which I have for lung issues). My oxygen level was 84% and pulse rate 115. Once I sat at rest things calmed down. Does anyone think that sounds like a valve going bad? Boy , do I hope not!

Fluid retention is another Very Common Cause of being Short of Breath.

You need to tell your Cardiologist about this development.
If / when you develop symptoms, it would help to be evaluated ASAP, even if that means going to the ER.

'AL Capshaw'

Ruth, Good to "see" you again. Sorry to hear you aren't feeling well. None of us would have any way of knowing whether or not your valve is going bad. Have you been seen yearly by your cardio? If so, have those checkups been good? Could it be your lung issue that's causing this shortness of breath? If I were you, I'd be making some phone calls tomorrow to get things checked so you know what's causing your problems.

By the way, I have to say that baby in your avatar (I'm assuming that's your grandbaby) is just precious.

Kim

What are your Oxygen levels normally? As Kim said it would be hard to guess what it could be especially since you also have lung problems. I would put a call into both your cardiplogist and pulm doc

I was just thinking, you said it has been the last month. Do you have any allergies that you know of? I know when my asthma used to be very bad, the end of summer early fall was the worst time for me.

Lynlw, usually, during the day, I don't think to check because the shortness of breath isn't very noticeable. I do sleep with oxygen to try to prevent more pulmonary hypertension. My daytime levels are usually above 94, I would think. Sometimes, at night they drop- another reason for the oxygen. I will be making some calls tomorrow, since things just don't feel right.

Kim, I have been seen yearly, but, after the one-year mark , have not had an echo "since the problem has been fixed". The baby in the avatar was born 2 weeks after my AVR and has now been joined by two more granddaughters....I need to change the picture if I can remember how!

Al, I have some swelling in one calf, most likely from a formerly broken ankle. It does seem more than usually swollen, though.....hmmmmm. Thank you for your thoughts- all of you.

Ruth, the "problem" may have been fixed, but you do have a foreign body in your body that is not going to last forever. They may feel that because of your age when you received it, that the valve will outlive you, however, there have been failures of these valves. I'm sorry, but I would not be happy with a cardio who didn't take a look at that valve once a year with an echo.

I want to throw another idea out there for consideration....since you mention you have swelling in just one leg, could you possibly have a blood clot? I don't really know much about them, but I seem to remember reading that is one of the symptoms.

Kim

Kim- How do I go about requesting an echo, if he doesn't bring it up. I really like this doctor, he has a fine reputation, and is well-trained. I guess I don't want to appear to be second guessing him. The blood clot idea has me thinking, too: we just got back from a cross-country flight and that same leg ached a lot. The ache is gone now. I wonder if, with only swelling and no pain, the blood clot idea isn't likely.

Hi Ruthie,
Nice to 'see' you here again but sorry for the reason.

I wouldn't hesitate to politely say to my cardio: "What do you think about my having an echo? I haven't had one in (however long) and it would give me peace of mind."

I definitely would want an echo seeing you have symptoms.
Sending you very best wishes.

Ruth, I think Jkm's idea is perfect. It isn't confrontational and I would be surprised if you call with symptoms now that he wouldn't want to do one anyway. Good luck and I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure there is a reasonable explanation.

Aren't you glad our weather here in NC has finally broken? I can take this rainy, gloomy weather all week over the heat we've had.

Kim

Coming to this thread late but hoping you'll get a good answer, Ruthie. Please let us know what you find out.

Still trying to figure out what's going on...... Back when I posted earlier neither my cardio or pulmonary doc seemed much concerned. I let it ride, but lately, with the onset of a cold have noticed how very out of breath I get. Only the pulmonary PA could see me - and she truly heard my concern! Hooray! She had me walk three laps around the office with a pulse oximeter on- but stopped after two when she saw how low the sat levels were getting. She ordered some bloodwork, chest xray, return visit and is determined to figure out what's going on. Before today, no one actually heard my worries. Even with questions unanswered, I feel a lot better!
Thanks for listening....
Ruthie

Back