Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaryG

Another new member -- playing the waiting game. My story is that I was diagnosed with BAV 10 years ago, at age 60. From reading the posts I can see that I have a few years on most of you (quite a few years in many cases). My echo done a year ago showed a valve area of 1.4 cm2, and the echo done two weeks ago shows that the valve area is now .9 cm2. In the process of trying to educate myself about aortic stenosis and what I am dealing with here, I discovered this wonderful resource and have been reading the posts of all you very helpful and knowledgeable people. When I first realized the implications of my echo results, I was horrified at the idea of heart surgery. From reading your posts it is quite obvious that the surgery is no picnic, and no doubt even more so at my age. You are all very honest about the negative parts of it, and I feel that it?s better to be aware of the reality of the situation. Becoming better informed makes it slightly less scary. I?m looking forward to continuing to read your posts, and am so glad I discovered this forum.

Welcome to VR Mary. It sounds like you've discovered us at the perfect point in the progression of your conditions. There's still time to make all of the life effecting decisions you need to without cause to feel hastened or bullied into something you may think you have no voice in.

Take Heart,
Pamela.

Welcome. I hope the best for you & if you have any questions please post them for a response. It is always better to be informed & ready than suprised.

Good luck to you.

Welcome to our world Mary!

At 0.9 sq cm, it's a good time to start Surgeon Shopping.
Many Doctors use 0.8 sq cm as their 'trigger' for recommending surgery.

The Most Important requirement in a Surgeon for you as a BAV patient is to find a Surgeon who has Lots of Experience dealing with BAV and the often associated Connective Tissue Disorders. Someone who does AVR on 100 or more BAV patients per year sould be good.

Dr. Chen at Emory University in Atlanta is reputed to be the top Aorta Surgeon in the SE. Duke University Hospital may also have good Aorta Surgeons. Local and even Regional Surgeons may not have a lot of experience with BAV and CTD issues.

It would also be wise to ask your Cardiologist about performing a Chest MRI or Chest CT to look for Aortic Aneurisms. At some point, either your Cardiologist and certainly any surgeon you see will want to review the results of a Left and Right Heart Catheterization to check for signs of Coronary Artery Disease (which can be addressed in the same surgery) and /or Pulmonary issues.

Heart Surgery for 60 year olds is an every day event and first time surgeries have a Very High Success Rate, even for those of us who might be considered to be somewhat 'elderly' (as one Doc wrote :)

'AL Capshaw'

Welcome Mary. Obviously, none of us have crystal balls (Though our other Mary claims too) so no one can really say what kind of outcome you'll have. The odds are overwhelmingly in your favor that all will be well.

I watched 70, 80 and a 90 year old leave the hospital before I did. I was 40 at the time.

Welcome and hello Mary
Just wanna stress the waiting is such a pain,worse than surgery,it takes
alot out of us and ive had 2 surgerys in 18 year span and still i agree this
waiting is the worst and they tell me my aortic mech from 18 years isnot
doing great so guess i'll be waiting again for someday my 3rd surgery:eek:
Glad your here and look forward to your questions:)

Mary, welcome to THE PLACE to be if you need to have or have had valve surgery. The people on this forum are so good at easing your mind all along the way...pre surgery, post surgery, anti-coagulation, etc. This is one of the most sharing and comforting sites I have ever come across.

I am a 67 yr old female and had my aortic valve replaced in Feb. of this year. It was not bicuspid...just an ordinary, worn-out, stenotic valve. There are so many of us "seniors" that have had these surgeries and we're all still here helping those waiting.

As Deb said, waiting is the hardest part....once you know the surgery is necessary and you start going thru the pre-surgery tests, then you can't wait for it to be over so you can get on with living. Recovery takes time, but it happens and before you know it the surgery becomes a memory (that you will never forget).

Go for it lady.

Midge

Welcome Mary. I am almosst 2 weeks post op. I am 61. If your health is good otherwise you should have a great outcome. This site helped to calm my fears. The only bump I have had so far was the need to br re opened the same day to stop a bleeder. The only thing no one can prepare you for is the first couple of days post op. It is not an experience I wish to have again. However, as the days go by and I become stronger I know I made the right choice. God Bless.

Welcome Mary,
Stick with this place and the folks here will lead you through the good and the bad..

John, Good to see you on the board. Can't imagine being opened twice in the same day. I hope all is going well for you.

Rob

Thanks so much

Thanks so much

Thanks for all of your welcoming and very encouraging posts. When I first discovered this forum I had so many questions, but found so much information by reading the different threads that most of them have been answered. I will continue to follow your helpful, and at times, very entertaining posts. Also I will begin the process of gathering information about surgeons and trying to prepare myself for this adventure I have ahead of me. :eek:

. . . trying to prepare myself for this adventure I have ahead of me. :eek:

An attitude like that will make this seem like a walk in the park - with a few steep uphills thrown in for good measure.

I too had a 90-ish year od woman in for her second round of bypass, and she went home almost as good as she came in.

Hi Mary,

Welcome! It's great that you are only now having to look at having surgery for your BAV. My hubby found out about his BAV at age 27. He was told nothing would have to be done until his 50's. At the age of 31 (thru an accidental test for something else) we found out he needed a a valve replacement urgently. Wish we'd had the time to disover this great site...such a wealth of knowledge and wisdom. You are in good hands Mary...it's good that it's your first time and even better that you have some time to do research and make the best decision for you.

Thinking of you,

Yolanda

Everyone is here for you. You will find this forum will become your new best friend to ask questions and to vent. Good luck to you.

Kris

Latest posts

Back