New lease on life

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex B

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Im so excited the surgery went very well and im starting my rehab. The hospital has wifi too!

Quick thoughts recaps
Didnt sleep the dirst night because when i would drift off and take in a deep breath it hurt and woke me up

I slept the second night in 30 min intervals becase of the insulin tests

Food is pretty good here, i heard you cant raste right away but i can

Found out i wasnt bi-cuspid after all instead the dr called it a " really weird mono cuspid"

Ill post more later very sleepy now

Well now, that was fast. Good to see you back already. Your job now is eat, sleep, breath and walk. Wash, rinse and repeat.

If INR becomes a problem for you, come see us in the anticoag forum and we'll help you get it right. ;)

So happy to hear from you and know you are safely 'over the mountain'.
Thanks for letting us know you're doing well.
Best Wishes for bump free recovery.

Hooray! You're already back with us! Amazing!

Interesting about your valve... we will want to hear as much as you want to share about that. Glad that's out of you!!!

Expect good days and not so good days, it goes with the recovery territory. Never be afraid to ask a doctor or nurse if you feel something that isn't quite right.

Don't lose patience with things. Enjoy the time to dream, reflect, heal, absorb life around you..... recovery can be an okay time if you let it!

Best wishes to you! And congratulations!! Woo hoo!!!

Marguerite

Glad to read that everything went well! Welcome to the other side. Sleep - Hospital is an oxymoron.

wow that was quick ! glad to see your posting and feeling pretty good. Im thinking 4 or 5 weeks and you can start kickin the tires on that new valve with some light exercise. Its gonna blow you away at how much more your going to be able to do. You might not realize just how sick you were until you blow by some of the some of the things that used to give you issues.

Just noticed that your in Portland, I lived there 15 years ago and hope to get back in another 4 or 5 as soon as the last of the ankle-biters are out the door. We have 2 down, 3 to go still :)

Way to go Alex! Also you will probably get a kick out of reading your first post-op post once the anesthesia wears off.

:D

Actually that was so fast that 12 hours ago Ross closed your thread on having to make a decision on which valve to pick and you made your first post-op post 8 hours ago. Now that is impressive.

:)

Alex...I'm driving to the basket...open...hit me! Congratulations and welcome to the "other side" as folks in here like to say. Take it nice and easy. You won't believe how quickly the days and weeks will go by and how much better you'll feel.

Good to see your post Alex.

Everyday (after that second day out) gets easier. You'll be running the court again in a short time. For now just mind your doctors instructions, eat sleep, get a few walks a day in.

Rob

Hi All, the WIFI at the hospital went down so I didn't have access any more, but I'm home now and doing well.

I thought the most interesting thing to this group of experienced AVR'ers would be my defective old valve. If you can imagine a normal tri-cuspid valve that 2 of the 3 cuspids didn't open and from the surgeons asessment probably never did, he said it looked like there was just one little flap about 25%-35% of the total area. He has done over a thousand AVRs and said this was the first time he had seen one like this. Now I'm even more excited about my complete recovery knowing I had been doing some of the things I was doing at 1/3 blood flow.

Other Interesting things:
I notice some of my senses more, I can't really explain it, but my taste buds are picking up more or maybe the drugs are just allowing me to focus on one thing better. I could very clearly make out conversations in other rooms, and in the past I was somewhat hard of hearing. I notice every smell. I knew which nurse was in the room by the smell of their lotion/perfume, not kidding at all. Some of them would come in at night and not turn the lights on that much but I would call them by name every time, I think it freaked them out. However my sight is pretty bad right now, slightly blurry with glasses or contacts, I hope that's just the drugs.

My good friends really surprized me. One of them organized a large gift, got many people to donate to it, and they bought me a Play Station 3 with 2 games. They delivered it to me on Thursday and I was so overwhelmed I cried for like the 2nd time in my adult life. I couldn't believe how thoughtful it was, then they came over and set it up for me the day I came home (yesterday).

Warfarin/Coumadin... OK, I don't know why I was freaked out at all. I shaved off a small whitehead on my face last night with an INR of around 2.8 and it barely bled at all. I thought blood was going to gush from my face. What a joke! Ok, I'm probably over doing it, but I'm starting to realize that it's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be. I also found a lab about a half mile from my house that I can go to, until I can get my home kit. Two of the Dr.s I talked to didn't like the home kits, but one of the cardiologists I consulted that was there during the surgery and prescribed my drugs is all for them, so I think I will be able to get that at some point. I will probably wait a couple months until everything is under control first. I was surprized at home much drugs I need to take though. Mine is like 6mg per day plus a baby aspirin, does that seem high?

Clicking... Ok this is the only negative so far, and I've been able to sleep with it, so it's not that big a deal I guess. No one else can hear it either, but for me it's REALLY loud. I can hear it right now while I'm typing or even while watching TV. It sounds like I'm holding a wristwatch up to my ear and can hear the second hand ticking. Pretty high pitched.

You sound wonderful!!!!!

I noticed that my senses were greatly heightened post surgery. Then it waned and I was back to normal in several weeks. The vision thing I can't explain. Are you still on pain meds? If you make short notes every day about these changes then you can watch the progress and anything that might be amiss (though I'm almost certain nothing is) would be more easily detectable with copious notes. Remember, it takes 6-12 months for all the drugs to be flushed from your system so there are lingering effects. If you request a copy of your surgical report from the hospital you will be astounded by the varying number of drugs they used.

You may find that your emotions are very strong for quite some time. That is fine!!! I think it is probably a natural balance from the anxiety/fear we have to deal with pre-surgery.

Make good use of the play station! Rest. You will undoubtedly feel quite buoyant soon and want to push your recovery. Please be cautious. The one thing most of us find is that yes, we have SO much energy but when it is spent, there is NO reserve. So if you should go on a very long walk by yourself, be sure to have a cell phone with you in case you peter out and need a ride home!! Your reserves will build back gradually. Just honor the exhaustion... it is your body telling you to slow down.

Amazing about that old valve of yours. And they say you will get used to your new clicking. What a wonderful sound, knowing it is a functioning proper piece of your body machinery now!!

Keep up the good work! Best wishes.

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back