New here

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vtbecca

Hi, I am not a heart patient but my son is and this looks like a very informative group. Hopefully you all don't mind if I join! Gabe has a CHD called Truncus Arteriosus and has had 2 open hearts and one cath, with the next surgery likely in the next year or two (he tends to worsen quickly though so I think it will be sooner). He has received 2 human valved conduits for his pulmonary artery. His aorta is mildly leaky and he may need that valve replaced one day as well but for now it's stable. Gabe is 9 and pretty active, not very slowed down by his heart at all. We're thankful he's doing so well!

Becca

Welcome Becca. I'm new to the site myself but have found it to be extremely helpful in the brief time I've been aboard. If you have any questions just throw them out there and I'm sure you'll fine someone with some useful information.

Your son sounds like a real trooper. Best of luck to both him and you.

Dan

Hello Becca, Like Dan I'm new also. I cant really help you with info that much but I know there are people here that can. Welcome, and High Fives to your son for not letting this slow him down. Daren

Welcome Becca and Gabe

Welcome Becca and Gabe

Becca,

Am also a recent member and welcome you to the forum.

Sounds like your 9 year old Gabe is a brave young man

Forum has been very enlightening for me, very supportive and informative

Hope you get the same benefits

All the best

Gil

Thanks for the welcome, he is quite a trooper. I look forward to hearing the experiences of people on here!

Hi! Welcome to this forum! There are several members who are also moms of kids with CHD. We've gone through a lot of experiences with them and have gained a real respect for you moms. There are so many members and so many different conditions but all in all, we are of one heart.

Hi Becca, this is a good site for support and "level headed" information. As Betty said, there are a number of moms on this forum who have children who have gone thru OHS and may be able to help with your problems.....and I'm sure your experience will be helpful to them.

Welcome Becca - nice to have you here - sorry about the circumstances but good to have you anyway. While I don't have the experience of having a child with heart issues I do somewhat understand what heart moms go through. I have twin granddaughters who were delivered 12.5 weeks early - lots of ups and downs. It's agonizing at times to see kids go through hard times.

Sounds like you are a good advocate for your son - lucky that he has you. I'm sure you'll be hearing from some of the other heart moms soon... though they often busy with their active kids as well.

Nice to see a number of newer members in this thread too!

hi becca,
welcome to this site. as you can see, this is a great place for support, especially when we get frightened about these health/heart issues.
please let us know how gabe is doing (and you are holding up).
thinking of you,
sylvia

Hello Becka and Gabe

Welcome to the forum! It's a great support group for calming any anxiety's you may have. Sounds like Gabe is doing just fine! I find adults can learn SO much from the little folks!

Please keep posting and take care

Welcome to all you new folks. This site has been a great help to me, and really changed my life for the better. I hope that like me, you will find knowledge, and comfort here. Posts here often affect others without our even knowing, and almost always for the better, so whether it is a question, or feelings, please do share. All the best, Brian

Hi everyone, thank you so much for the warm welcome, it's encouraging! We are now at a point of switching hospitals. Gabe had his surgeries and caths at Duke (NC) but his surgeon has left, and we have moved further away. We were contemplating switching before so the surgeon leaving made the decision easy! We will likely take Gabe to Univ. of Virginia (they a have a surgeon that Gabe's cardiologist is highly impressed with, and we are just over an hour away). Gabe handles his heart issues well, but I'm not sure how the next surgery will go. He was 17 months last time so he really didn't understand any of it. It will be a whole new ballgame next time!

Becca

Sorry this is so late, But I missed this when you first joined and just realized Gabe had a Rastelli, and didn't want to interupt Angels thread about Homografts. My son Justin also had a Rastelli, he is 22 now and has had a few surgeries and other things like BE, a pacemeaker in and out ect for the most part in between surgeries and illnesses he does pretty well.
Lyn

Back