New Friend with surgery date of feb 16th

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steve44

Hi everybody I'm new here and I'm happy to make your aquaintances. I am a 44yo male going in for avr and a sigle bypass on Weds., 2/16. I am scared to death. I've been following the deterioration of my valve for years, but the last few months it has gotten really bad. Shortness of breath, fatigue etc. We have decided the best choice for me is the St. Judes mechanical valve. Help me out everybody...tell me what I need to know?!
Steve

Steve, , a heart felt WELCOME to our OHS family glad you are getting the information that you are seeking and are comfortable with your valve choice, there is a wealth of knowledge here for the future .....

Bob/tobagotwo has up dated a list of acronyms and short forms http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=8494&d=1276042314

what to ask pre surgery http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...68-Pre-surgery-consultation-list-of-questions

what to take with you to the hospital http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?13283-what-to-take-to-the-hospital-a-checklist

Preparing the house for post surgical patients http://www.valvereplacement.org/for...Getting-Comfortable-Around-the-House&p=218802

These are from various forum stickies and there is plenty more to read as well

And Lynw recently added this PDF on what to expect post op
http://www.sts.org/documents/pdf/whattoexpect.pdf

Good luck to you . You will be fine! I was supposed to have my surgery tomorrow. Been rescheduled to the March 4. I been a member of the forum only a week. These people are wonderfull. Read every post you can. You will find new friends from all over the world.
John

Hi Steve,
It's nice to 'meet you'.
Most of us here agree the wait is the worst part of this whole experience. For me, the wait was a cross between terror and hysteria but 'ya just get through it. I had two OHS in four years and both went extremely well. I was fortunate to have mostly 'bump free' recovery each time but count on being fatigued immediately post op to a level you can't imagine. I clearly remember waking after a nap one afternoon in the hospital. I knew I was awake but made a concious choice whether it was worth the effort it was going to take to open my eyes or not. I chose not and went back to sleep. That quickly gets better and they have us up and walking faster than you can believe.

What hospital are you going to?
If you haven't done so, read the stickys and links for all the areas in which you have questions. There is so much helpful information here and by all means do not hesitate at all to ask any question that comes to mind. There is almost always someone here who can answer most questions.

We've all walked 'your walk' and we understand. The success rate of these surgeries is huge and you have every reason, as such a young man, to believe you'll have the surgery, you'll recover and get back to your regular activities quickly.

Best wishes.

Hello Steve,

I am in the same shoes as you but I am waiting for a surgical date. I am 49 and will probably be getting the exact same surgery as you with the SJV and single bypass. I too am scared but know I have no choice, it is a risk that has to be taken and we hope that everyone in the OR has a good day. Welcome and good luck to you, we will all be thinking about you and wish the best for you. Be strong and I will join you soon...
Jeff Beck

Been there, done that, twice! you're almost past the worst part: waiting!
You'll do just great, though you may need some antiaxiety meds to get through Monday!
Hugs and best wishes.

Steve,

Hang in there! I still remember how terrified I was to have this surgery! Just the thought of it was unthinkable. I got through it, everyone here that isn't waiting as you are....got through it....and you can too!! I will be pulling for you.

Mileena

I am pretty new to the site as well but the folks here all understand the concearns that you may have! Just hang in there and know you
are not alone and that you are getting a second chance at life. good luck

Best of luck on Wednesday Steve. Have you had your pre-op or will you do that tomorrow? I remember my first surgery kind of being on auto pilot the last 24 hours. You'll do great and just remember how successful this surgery is and know that you'll feel exponentially better each day afterwards.

Steve - I'm another Steve on almost the same path. I have been watching my aortic stenosis for 8+ years and am scheduled for valve replacement (Edwards bovine pericardial tissue valve) and single bypass on Tuesday March 1st. The wait is almost over! The first 8 and 1/2 years were easy. The last month is tougher.

Go Class of 2011! Best of luck to you, too, classmate.

Steve, Thanks very much for sharing your story and for your support. I am now on the home stretch...just washed with the antimicrobial soap and started using the special mouthwash this morning...tomorrow is the big day. 24 hours from now I should be in the recovery room sleeping off the anesthesia. Oddly enough, the closer I get, the more relaxed I seem to be getting...maybe I'm just frightened numb, I'm not sure. I'll get back online as soon as I feel up to it and let you know how everything is going. Hopefully I'll be able to wish you well before your surgery...if not, here's wishing you well now.

Latest posts

Back