Mystery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At the Jemez Pueblo there are many dances, which are one way to preserve the culture, since the Jemez have a secret, unwritten language. One of the most spectacular dances is the eagle dance.

Taking pictures at any dance is illegal. Some dances are public, some are open by invitation, and some closed to non-Pueblo members. One of the men who performs the eagle dance has become a close friend of mine. He had observed several of my photos, and had expressed some interest in getting pictures. As long as the pictures were not taken at a tribal dance, they would be legal.

Even so, it took a long time to get an agreement on a date, and place. When we began to take the pictures my friend John Toya (the JT Bina correctly referred to) had agreed that I could perhaps keep one picture. While we were taking the pictures, I took some “shadow pictures for two reasons-I really liked the picture, and I thought it might be the only one I was allowed to keep, since it didn’t show the actual dancer.

We took a lot of pictures, and went to John’s home on the Pueblo where I downloaded the pictures on my laptop. It had been a great day for photos, and the photos we began to look at were the very best I had ever taken. After seeing the first four pictures, John stopped me while he went to get his mother to see what we had. Each photo seemed to come out better than the one before. I told John I couldn’t choose, and he would have to decide what pictures I could have. We hit on a great compromise: I could keep as many pictures as I wanted, and I would work with him on getting copies available for his purposes. (John had been called to work as an artist in residence on the east coast, and I helped him get some very attractive materials available for his trip.

Since then we have agreed that I can sell the physical pictures, but I have chosen to restrict myself from posting them electronically. So, what you are seeing is the shadow of John Toya wearing the “eagle regalia” that would be worn in the eagle dance. Frankly, the dance is done in the Pueblo square, and in my opinion is not as dramatic as the photos I have. There are some other interesting details that I hope to address at a later time.

Thank-you Dennis if i'd recalled my homework:eek:

You did fill us in on this i realized that after (totempole):p

answer...........however a beautiful shot once again you delivered to
us.

zipper2 (DEB)

That was what was confusing me-the head-dress! Since I thought
it was a statue (in a park or something) i thought it may be a helmet,
the only winged helmet I know of is Mercury/Hermes.
I know very little of these dances,or even of art and culture of the
American Southwest,but find it magical-Thanks!:)

VERY cool, Dennis!!!!

Cort | 35swm | "Mr Monte Carlo"."Mr Road Trip" | pig valve.pacemaker ...MidW Blast = 01/17/09
WRMNshowcase.legos.HO.models.MCs.RTs.CHD = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"This is the story of us all" ... The Last Goodnight ... 'Pictures Of You'

Latest posts

Back