My Son.

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Deb,
So glad to hear about the progress. It can be slow, and may seem even slower, but inch by inch is pretty much how he'll recover. Glad to hear he has a good team working for him. I'll continue to keep you all in my prayers.

Kidneys working, able to hold his own bloodpressure, no fever for 2 days, all very positive signs.

May God keep him safe.

Glad to hear things are on the upswing! Sounds like he is getting excellent care.

Deb, Every step forward, no matter how small, is a good thing at this point. Hang in there and please keep us posted.

Kim

Thanks for the update. Sounds good!! Progress is progress -- we all know that some things take so much time.............
Continued best wishes!!

Marguerite

Brad is having a very hard time with his lungs. They were pulsating them yesterday and got a lot out. his oxygen level fell and took the doctor 2 and 1/2 hours to get his oxygen back up. The vent is still at 100%. They have tried to wean and every time they get low, something happens. They did some pulsating this morning and got nothing. I found out today that they gave him a med yesterday to break up the fluid in the lungs yesterday and made his heart drop to in the 50s. I asked the doctor about it and he said that did happen but came right back up. They are calling this fainting?????Anyone hear of anything like that??? Needless to say, they did not use the med this morning.

Deb, I'm sorry Brad is still having a tough time. I was on the vent for a long time myself (11 days) and ended up being o.k. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Brad.

Is he trached? By now, he should have been and if so, are they suctioning him as often as they should or are they simply relying on pulsating?

I was on the vent for 40+ days. I can tell you that some of the drugs they use cause more harm then they help.

No he is not trached yet. They talked to me about it yesterday so I know it is coming. Yep, they are suctioning him a lot. That is one of those things I am used to now. At first I had to leave the room. Whatever drug they used to break up the fluid is not one they shuld ever use again, that is for sure. They tell me when he is trached it will be easier to wean off the ventilator?? Anyone know? It may be a little hospital but the care is excellent. I had to go on a rampage once. Thank You for all your prayers.

I don't know that it's easier, but it sure reduces the risks of developing other infections such as pneumonia. Suctioning and all is so much easier. Hey if they aren't doing this already, make them start....Make sure they're using rubber tipped suction catheters. The plastic ones cause irritation and bleeding.

Normally they just irrigate the lungs with saline to break up accumulations. Of course, you feel like they're drowning you when they do that, but it works.

I got in fight with my respiratory team about taking me off the vent and getting the darn trach out. As soon as they stopped trying to manage my air way, my sats came up. Not saying that's what needs to be done now, but something to think about down the road a bit.

I just now discovered this thread Deb, and am adding my prayers. My Husband had sepsis (combined with high fever, respiratory distress, kidney failure, basically similar to your Son?) a couple of years ago. Because of his other chronic health problems and the severity of his sepsis, they used a just out of clinical trials drug called Xigris. He survived!

I also learned from a pharmacist friend of mine, God bless her, that the drug they give to people who are on the vent (Versed) builds up in the body and the longer they are on it, the harder it is to get them off of the ventilator.

So, my non-medical opinion is make sure they are not already overdosing him on Versed, and time the attempt to extubate him for when the last dose is about to wear off, as I seem to recall the drug itself can decrease the body's own attempts to breathe. Read the Contraindications and special caution section of this:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Midazolam ( copied that part to save you time "Additional caution is required in critically ill patients as accumulation of midazolam and its active metabolites may occur.[43] Kidney or liver impairments may slow down the elimination of midazolam leading to prolonged and enhanced effects.") - that is the reason as to why it can build up in the body. In side effects there is this "Sedation, respiratory depression and due to a reduction in systematic vascular resistance hypotension and an increase in heart rate can occor."
Thanks to a search engine I found a few other things that might be helpful:
http://www.rcjournal.com/contents/02.05/02.05.0275.pdf

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b2.phar...aphs/CPS- (General Monographs- V)/VERSED.html

http://psyweb.com/Drughtm/jsp/versed.jsp - see warnings, copied here to save you time "WARNINGS: Serious respiratory adverse events have occurred after administration of oral VERSED, most often when VERSED was used in combination with other central nervous system depressants. These adverse events have included respiratory depression, airway obstruction, oxygen desaturation, apnea, and rarely, respiratory and/or cardiac arrest (see box WARNING). When oral midazolam is administered as the sole agent at recommended doses respiratory depression, airway obstruction, oxygen desaturation, and apnea occur infrequently (see DOSAGE AND ADMINISTRATION)." Even though they are talking about oral administration, it is likely useful with regard to IV also.
If your Son starts showing a lot of agitation, that could be a symptom of what they call 'paradoxical effect', not good.

So....I will hope and pray they can get him off of the Versed and the vent soon. My husband was on the vent for 3 or 4 days, max, and remained in the hospital for 2 more weeks after that.
p.s. here is info on Xigris, which has some serioius possible side effects itself; it is used as a last ditch effort type med if patient is in imminent risk of likely death, and I hope and pray that your Son is not in that category!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Drotrecogin_alfa
http://www.xigris.com/Pages/index.aspx

Just checking in to let you know that you and your son are still very much in my thoughts. What a lousy time he is having. You sound so strong and courageous. Keep it up!!!!!

Thanks for the updates. Wishing you a really good day someday very soon.

Marguerite

Latest posts

Back