My INR Level

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tex

I went into hospital on the 31st August to have my sterum wires out, i had to go in early because i was on warafrin due to having a mechanical valve replacement and mitral valve reapir 10 months ago. I came of Warafrin on the sunday before i went in, and as soon as i went in on the monday was placed on a heperin pump, had the wires removed on the thursday and then on the thursday started taking my warafrin again along with Fragmin, my INR levels took a while to get to 2.1well infact 6 days later i had to stay in till they had go within range infact my range is 2.5-3.5, infact they let me come home when they were 2.1 as long as i went back to the hospital Saturday to get my INR. They started me back on my normal dose of 11mg and fragmin right up to the day i came home. I went back to clinic yesterday and my INR is 1, i ended up rowing with the doc saying i wanted fragmin again until my INR went up, but still he didnt give it me said i needed to go to another hospital and there would be nobody there. He said that he would up my dose of warafrin to 20mg saturday, 15mg tonight and go back tomorrow, i have just been looking up on google and they say an INR of 1 is dangerous. I know you guys will know and tell me what to do.
Thanks Jane

Jane,

Something is wrong here. An INR of 1.0 indicates no coumadin in your system at all. It seems virtually impossible for that to be the case given your dose. If you are taking 11mg/day, your INR should not be 1.0. I am thinking the test was incorrect and you should be retested immediately to find out just what is going on.

If there is some chance it is 1.0 (forgotten doses, old meds, etc.), you belong in the hospital on a heparin drip so you can be monitored for problems. At the very least you should be on injections.

Havent forgot any doses, wouldnt forget warafrin is the most important meds i take, i checked also that none of the other meds i was taking interfered with the warafrin, i said that to the doc the very least i should be on injections but he just said i would ok uping my dosage, You could be right the machine could be wrong, but they did retest me twice but im not sure if they checked me on the same machine never thought to ask that.
Thanks for your help
Jane

I agree with geebee. There is no way it can be 1.0. Something is seriously wrong with the test results.

Havent forgot any doses, wouldnt forget warafrin is the most important meds i take, i checked also that none of the other meds i was taking interfered with the warafrin, i said that to the doc the very least i should be on injections but he just said i would ok uping my dosage, You could be right the machine could be wrong, but they did retest me twice but im not sure if they checked me on the same machine never thought to ask that.
Thanks for your help
Jane

Did they do a blood draw or finger stick? IF a draw did they use the same tube for the retest?

No they did blood test, they did use different tubes for each test, they have 2 testing machines but im not sure if they tested on each machine, i never thought to ask was just shocked by the results.
Thanks
Jane

No they did blood test, they did use different tubes for each test, they have 2 testing machines but im not sure if they tested on each machine, i never thought to ask was just shocked by the results.
Thanks
Jane

My other thought is, is this a new/different bottle of coumadin or the same one you have been taking when you were in range?

PS I agree you should be getting shots or on on Heparin.

No dont even like spinach LOL
I know it sounds strange the more i read up on it, have problems when i first started on it but never ever went this low. Im going to a different hospital tomorrow, havent got appointment but we will just sit and wait, my hubby coming with me so will get some answers , we not leaving till we do.

You got your sternum wires out? I was told that they'd just leave mine in.

Oh, and yeah, get retested. INR of 1 seems like an odd result. Mine creeped to 6 after about a week of being on only 3mg about 4 weeks post op! Now it's in the 2.6 to 3.0 range and I'm managing it much better, mostly thanks to my lovely home tester.

Tex, my dear, get re-tested as fast as you can. As has been said, if you are taking warfarin, you can NOT be 1.0. Where do you usually go for testing? can you go there tomorrow? and yes, if it really is 1.0, you could have a bad batch of pills (hasn't happened to me). Even medication interactions would not leave you that low, it is as if you hadn't taken any warfarin. "normal" people test results are around 1.0.

You got your sternum wires out? I was told that they'd just leave mine in.

Kristian : They can bother some people, and they can be taken out; they can also be left in indefinitely.

Well i went back yesterday got retested and still only 1.1 thats after the last 3 days of taking 20mg, 15mg, 10mg and my husband stood there and watched me while i took it, they asked me had i been taking it, they said they ask everybody who has a low INR this question, my answer was im not that stupid not to take it since this drug stops my blood clotting, andi said i was in hospital before this where the nurses stand over you while you take your meds. THey have now put me on 100mg of Clexane, and going to retest me on wednesday. plus 20mg 0f warafrin, so will see if this works. Thanks for your help and advice. I had my sterum wires out because 3 had come loose and they decided to take the rest out, they said it would be an hour operatio, it took them 4 hours because some had fused to the sterum bone. MUst say its a bit painful, having my stitches out tomorrow, also behind one of the wires they found a sack of clear fuild they have sent this away to the lab.
Thanks again to you all
Jane

I still don't see how it's possible to be at 1.1 with all that you've taken so far. That's the same as having taken none. How many total doses will you have taken when you test Wednesday?

Back