My husband figured out what was causing his A-Fib!!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meganmitch

My husband had the ross procedure done on December 1st. On about the 4th or 5th he started to go into A-Fib which was controlled by the drug Amiodarone. In order for him to go home they needed to transition him from the iv form of Amiodarone to the pill form to be continued at home. They said once he went 24hrs without going into A-Fib he could be released. It seemed like everytime he was reaching the 24hr mark he would have to start over. Well late late Monday night my husband went into A-Fib after eating a popsicle, he then realized that everytime this would happen he was eating a popsicle or something extremely cold. So the next morning the doctor came in and asked him to eat a popsicle to see what would happen. Sure enough he went back into A-Fib. Since the cause was determined my husband was released that morning. I just wanted to share this because i thought it was too crazy!!

Hi,

I myself can attest to this. I was at a restaurant, and they put a tall glass of ice water, with a straw, on the table.
As soon as I sipped the cold water through the straw, I went into A-Fib. So, no more ice water, or real cold drinks for me.
If I am making a drink these days, I don't fill the glass with ice cubes, but I do put some in. If I go to a restaurant, I ask for my water without ice.

I also realize that there are other reasons that trip the old A-Fib trigger. Such as, too much alcholol, too little sleep, and stress, to name a few.

Burrrrrrrr..'

Rob

since my surgery, tolerance for cold things is zero. Hmmm, maybe there is something to this.

Out of curiosity (sp?) I Googled "Cold drinks and a-fib", and yes there is a relation between the two. Cold drinks, chocolate and caffeine along with a few other items/foods can cause the symptom of a-fib.

I found it interesting, even though I don't have a-fib.

Anybody have any idea what percentage of people with A-Fib can tell when they're in it and when they're not?

I had my first spoonful of wonderful rich Vanilla ice cream late last night, and I loved it, but maybe my heart didn't!

In the summer when the temps are very hot and I would like something cool I put a scoop of ice cream in a bowl and let it melt down for about 20 minutes, then stir, and eat it slowly.

Thanks Megan & Mitch. Sounds like it's related to the Vagus Nerve, Vagal Afib.

Latest posts

Back