My first 5K this Saturday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good luck tomorrow Halley,
it's not about your finishing time, make sure you go out and have a good time and just finish! I am really slow but I find great accomplishment in crossing the line!

I like the advice about warming up a little bit and having a banana or some juice to power you. Here's hoping you have good weather and an enjoyable day.

Rob.

Wow, such encouragement and kind words, each message is very appreciated! I've got my bananas and OJ...great advice about the shoes/inserts, I do have good shoes but they probably need replacing. I got some Dr. Shoals inserts for athletic shoes today, don't know if they're actually any good but maybe they'll help some!

I'll check in tomorrow! ;)

Aw, thanks Justin, I did tie my sneaks up tight, so no tripping! ;)

Well, I did it! It was so much fun, I am already looking towards the next one! I ran much more than I thought I would. My first 5K at 40 with a mechanical ticker, not too shabby...my time was 31:50. But, the funny thing is that someone messed up the course, they had people standing at different points so we'd know where to turn, and one woman was in the wrong spot so it turns out it wasn't quite a 5K - we were short a few tenths of a mile! The inserts in my shoes made a huge difference, so thanks to ctyguy and Louise for reminding me about the importance of my shoes. I was thinking about everyone's advice along the way, and it really was such an amazing feeling to cross the finish line! I will post a pic if I can figure it out.

Congrats! Excellent job! A course marshall sending people in the wrong direction is one of a race director's worse nightmares! I had the same problem as a course marshall with some Kenyans who didn't want to follow my directions!:eek:
Now that you are bitten by the running bug....plan your next race!

I can imagine, a lot of people were pretty mad about it, since they didn't get the full 5 and it messed up their times. I was a little disappointed but OK with it, just happy to be there!

Good show. And you know what? You look like you are a regular runner too. Usually I can spot the newbies in the crowd instantly. I wouldn't have guessed you were one.

Congratulations Halley, you did it. You look awesome and having a great time is what it is all about! :)

Way to go Halley!
You look like you're hooked already. So now with swimming, running, and maybe taking up biking next, that means you will be a ......TRI-ATHLETE!
Keep it up.
John

that's just the greatest. Congratulations. We are so proud of you!!!~! You look so beautiful and happy with that wonderfully inspiring accomplishment. thanks for the picture. You look just like yourself.

Thanks so much, again...I had a great day today, and to come here and read all of these nice words from all of you is just the icing on the cake! I really, really appreciate all of the support.

John, I have always wanted to do a triathlon, but I am a terrible cyclist! Maybe, though, one day...

Congratulations Halley,

Not a bad time either for your first go in some time, even if the course was a liittle short.
You will be ready for the 10K you mentioned in an earlier post, drew thousands of people, that sounds like an event.

Rob

Great to see you out and active. Keep training, and maybe we can run the Chicago, or NY marathon someday..

In re the shoe inserts, I just switched to the Dr S gel sports one, for my work shoes, and my feet feel much better, and my back pain has been much better..

Congratulations on the fine finish. It's always a litle disappointing when a course isn't accurate or you get led the wrong way. The important thing is you did it succesfully. Now you know you can!!!. Try to find another one to keep up the motiviation. You have been bit by the bug and it does become more fun and interesting. About the biking...you can do that too, just takes some time and practive.

I've already found another one coming up, but it's only a few weeks away... Next time I hope to run the entire distance! IDK about the bike, guess I could? The only wheels I spent time on as a kid were my roller skates! And I am only comfortable cycling in Florida b/c it's so flat...but, a triathlon sounds more my speed than a marathon (sorry Harry, but go for it!!)

Rob, that was the Peachtree Road Race I mentioned before, I definitely want to run that eventually! I can't imagine going 10k, but then I couldn't imagine going 5k not too long ago!

Latest posts

Back