My first 5K this Saturday

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

halleyg

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Just wanted to post since it was this thread and reading all of your stories that inspired me to sign up! I only signed up a little over two weeks ago, which didn't give me that much training time, but I can easily walk three miles so I'll walk when I need to. I increased my running time after I signed up, but then started having back pain (after, not during my runs). My chiropractor thinks I should walk it; but yesterday couldn't help myself and ran part of the time anyways. She was able to adjust me so it's not too bad, but I am trying to accept that maybe I'm one of those people who shouldn't run b/c my back can't take the pounding (which is hard to do). Anyhow, looking forward to it whether I walk or run (or both), I'll still be happy to have accomplished something new. Thanks to Jeff, who has already given me some pointers, and any others are welcome!

Congratulations and good luck! My first pointer: ENJOY IT! Line up appropriately at the start so you can go at your own pace...the thrill of the race will make you want to go faster, but hold back and run your pace.

Good luck with your race!

I use the Galloway run/walk method. I usually run for three minutes then walk for one minute. It works best if you take the walk breaks from the start and not wait until you get so tired that you have to take a break.

Utilizing walk breaks has made a huge difference for me - it really saves my back and knees on long runs.

I would also suggest that you resist the temptation to start too fast. Better to start slow and finish strong!

Mark

Thanks for the encouragement and the pointers! I do have a question now for others who run these things, what do you usually do the day before as far as exercise?

Congratulations on signing up. I think Mark and Tom have said it all about running the event. As far as the day before, I'd take the day off and rest since this is your first race. Most people don't necessarily do that for shorter races but why tire yourself out.
Good Luck and anxious to find out how you do.

Thanks for the encouragement and the pointers! I do have a question now for others who run these things, what do you usually do the day before as far as exercise?

Do an easy run just to loosen up (maybe a half mile given your comments)and then do a nice long stretch afterward. Warm up a little and light stretch before your 5K. Definitely start your race at a comfortable pace; otherwise, you will find yourself having to walk prematurely to recover. Good luck!

OK, got it, thanks! I feel like I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this, the next time I'll be a little better prepared! I can't wait for Saturday, though, don't know if I'll be in such a hurry to post my time, but I plan on having fun with it for sure!

Congratulations Halley. :)

Do you have good cushioned running shoes? A must if you are having back pain.

Be careful, have fun, and post your results!:D

Oh, and eat a banana about an hour before your run, a little OJ, to boost your blood sugar levels.

Congratulations Halley!

You're certainly an inspiration to anyone who thinks that their life after OHS will be such that physical activity such as running, hiking, etc., will never be possible again. Far from the truth & for many of us, our lives actually began after getting our hearts fixed up.

Keep doing what you're doing & take care! :)

Good for you, I still get a tickle out of being able to run. Prior to my AVR I'd go 2/10ths of a mile before the SOB and chest pain would start. I just ran a 5k last weekend. Not very fast but thats not really the point.

About your back. You might want to consider getting fitted for proper running shoes and potentially arch supports. I used to have significant hip and shin pain. Once I got inserts the pain was gone inside a week. It may help, it may not but its worth checking out if you really want to run on a regular basis.

Best of luck !

Good luck tomorrow...no need to post your time, but we'd LOVE a race report! Let us know how much you enjoyed it!

Halley thats awesome that your going to running in your first race. which one is it, just curious. Best of luck with it. I am not a runner, my dad is, but if i had any advice to offer it be to enjoy it and run at your own pace. let us know how it goes.

Halley, I wish you all the luck you need as you set off tomorrow. Daughter tells me it is cool now in Hotlanta. Let us know how you made out - congratulations for doing this.

Latest posts

Back