My 2 cents...grrr, doctors, sometimes!

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

debster913

Hi, all--
This thread is in reference to another thread I started a few weeks ago titled "Not heart related, but need some womanly insight..."

I finally saw my gyno yesterday about my now three-months-absent period. He says it's "most likely just stress," yet, taking the good advice from those of you who replied, I pressed him into testing me for cancer. This is because my symptoms have been relentless since my last post. He says: "There's no need to since you're too young to have this cancer, and you're probably just having digestive problems from stress."

True, the past four years of my life have been stressful, and many of you who know me and have read other of my posts know this. But in nearly 25 years of having a menstrual cycle, I have never once missed a period. I've been up to a week late, but I've never missed, spotted, had pain, and the other symptoms I've displayed.

To make a long story short, I went in today for my CA-125 test. Had I not been a persistent patient, can you imagine? I hope and pray that the results come out negative. Besides, considering my family history of cancer, I figured it would be a good idea to rule it out.

Anyway...had my cardio reacted the same way when my valve failed: "you're too young, and you're probably just short of breath from stress," and had I just believed him, I'd be dead by now. Thank God my cardio was proactive and decided to test me thoroughly, since I didn't know any better anyhow back then! I have learned not to take my health for granted.

By the way...found out through a girlfriend that a mutual friend of ours from high school just passed away from a failing valve. Another one! She had never been to see a cardio since all her life since her murmur was deemed "harmless," and when she went to her GP a few months ago to complain of fatigue, shortness of breath, etc., her doctor told her that she was just stressed from her job and needed to relax. She died in her sleep last week from mitral valve failure at age 37.

Just wanted to update/complain/share.

I'll be back on soon~
Debi ;)

I hope your friend's Doctor was informed that his patient died from Mitral Valve Failure after he told her it was just stress!

Can Doctor's be held liable for such negligent care?

Oh, Debi, the story of your high school friend just gave me chills. How terribly sad and unnecessary. I hope and pray your test results are negative, and I'm glad you pushed for it. Does no one believe anymore that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure?

Deb: I am sorry to hear about your friends passing from mitral valve failure. And so young. I am 35 and had surgery last year and it makes me thankful that my doctor didn't take any chances and as soon as I went into her for shortness of breath and she heard my murmur for the first time that the first thing that she did was to send me to the hospital for an echo. Had I not had a conscientious doctor I may have suffered the same fate as your friend. I agree that doctor's try to say that too much things are because of stress and I am glad you persisted with your doctor to get this test done. As a physician he shouldn't have passed it off of stress so easily. Anyhow, good luck hope the test comes back negative.

That is so tragic about your friend from high school days passing away at 37 as a result of valve failure, Debi. So sorry. It is often said that doctors tend to dismiss women's symptoms of potential heart problems more readily than they do men's complaints. This is just one incident but it makes you wonder. A doctor should always take seriously symptoms such as shortness of breath....

Good Grief! In this day and age we should be past doctors who say "you are too young" to have ANY problem: heart, cancer, or hangnails!

I'm another victim of the "you are too young to have heart problems, and you couldn't <insert activity here> if you had heart problems" physician mind set.
Oh, no, I'm not too young, and Oh, yes, you can pretty much do whatever you want to, with X medical condition, if you want to badly enough - at least until you die from medical neglect!

I agree, Deb...grrr! (sometimes) The things I've been told about my friends' and family's or my own health!

"gastroenteritis" = rotavirus
"hypochondria" = lupus
"minor sprain" = microfractures of the growth plate
"stress" = parkinson's
"psychosomatic" = compromised lung function
"anxiety" = drug interaction

Well, they do call it "practicing medicine". That's why you listen to your gut.

Then there are the really good doctors. Thank God for them!

Marcia

P.S. Can't say it enough--thank God for the good ones!

Deb, I am so sorry to hear about your friend. The same thing happened to someone from church a couple of months ago. She was at the church fair, went home, sat at her computer, and the next morning her daughter found her slumped over the computer. She was 47. The autopsy showed mitral valve failure. Her mom said that she had had mitral valve "problems" since she was 16 , that she went to her doctor regularly and everything was fine.
So sad...

Hey Debi,

Very sorry for your loss.

Thoughts/prayers en route....

Cort | 36.m.IL | 5 Monte Carlos.1 Caprice Classic | pig valve.pacemaker * 07/24/2010=ChitownMeet #3 *
MCs.CC | models.HO.legos.CHD.RadioShows | RoadTrips.us66 = http://www.chevyasylum.com/cort
"My time here is over" ... Patty Loveless ... 'How Can I Help You Say Goodbye?'

So sad about your

So sad about your

friend Debbie and also the other lady that was talked about. I think what happened to both of those gals is a fatal arrhythmia. It is not necessarily mitral valve "failure" so much as a sudden arrhythmia that is caused by the flailing leaflets. Unfortunately an arrhythmia can happen to anyone at any time for any reason really, but having mitral valve prolapse does not help of course. Probably those 2 women didn't have a high enough grade of murmur yet (?) to warrant further testing. Mitral valve prolapse can cause shortness of breath even if there is not much regurgitation, just one of the quirks of it.

I am not making excuses for the doctors by any means.

I hope all of your testing turns out negative. Good for you for being proactive. You have to be that way - doctors are overextended and now being pressured to cut down on testing and referrals.

Christina L

Hi Debbie, sorry for all that is going on in your life and that we have not been able to get together again. Let's hope we can be more pro-active this summer!! Let's talk.

I am curious you are checking specifically the CA-125!?

Good luck with the result.

Latest posts

Back