Mopping floors

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurad37

When did most of you start mopping the floors again. My dog is sick and I am constantly cleaning up after her. I tried mopping the floor and oh my goodness did it hurt. My pulled muscle is still a problem also. I am 7 weeks post op.

I remember having trouble just to sweep the floor for quite a while.
When my dog would occasionally barf, I would sit down on a small step stool and scoop the barf into a plastic bag with paper towels and then spray the area with a Mr. Clean type of cleaner. It's hard work.
Let a man or older child do the mopping. You have enough to care for.
After awhile I gave up and hired a cleaning lady to do the big stuff every second week.
3 years later and I still have her. love it. :)

Laura, I think you're trying to do too much way tooooo sooon!!! I couldn't even vaccum the floors for months. I too had to hire a cleaning person to clean my house every month or so. In the interium, I would take a dust mop & slowly go over the floors. Oh, I did try to push the vaccum but the pain I felt on my sternum afterwards, did not feel good! And also, it left me really fatigued & pooped out!

Pushing, pulling, dragging, moving furniture, etc., I advise you not to do it. It's not worth it if you get a setback! :eek:

I concur with the ladies above. I think you're pushing it. What Bina said she did to clean up her dog's barf sounds like a more reasonable alternative for you!

Yeah Laura, take it easy and see if someone else can clean up the doggie-doos.

Although SOME people might advocate getting back to normal in 5-7 weeks or whatever was quoted, MOST people would say that you are still very early in your recovery phase and should ONLY be doing what feels comfortable and does not cause your sternum any pain.

Best wishes
Bridgette

Oh no, I agree no mopping. That is a lot of twisting motion you do not want to do. Yep, have one of the kids do it for you. Take care of you;)

Of course I am the laziest housekeeper on earch, but here is what I do with my dogs:

Get a dustpan with a long handle, a broom, a mop, a bottle of pet-cleanup-spray and a plastic bag. Oh, and you will need a roll of paper towels. Mop or sweep the vomit into the long-handled dustpan. Spray the area where the vomit used to be. Throw a few paper-towels on top of the area. Take your foot and move the paper-towels around. Repeat if the stain is still there. Sweep all the stuff into your dustpan. Dump the whole mess into your plastic trash bag (and tie it up, if full).

Do not bend over! Do not "use your arms" to support yourself or hold you up while you are on your hands and knees. (I think someone said the same rule apply to having sex in these early days...)

:D:D:D

she is not throwing up... she has liquid poop and it keeps coming out. I did the best with I could with my hands and tried mopping. I will just leave the rest for hubby when he gets home. I just wanna be normal again. I have 5 kids and a husband who works. How are things supposed to get done? I can't afford a cleaning lady although I have checked into it. How do all you moms do this during recovery?

Laura,
I did'nt do any mopping, vacuuming, sweeping, anything that moved my whole body like that. I had a little sweeper that I had my daugther use and she did the vacuuming my hubby did the mopping once a week on the weekends when he was'nt working. When I need other things done I had a few friends from my church that would bring food over and help out a little.
The only thing I did do was laundry (put a piece at a time and folded on the dryer one piece at a time) put away. Empty and loaded dishwasher one piece at a time wiped off counters bathroom etc.. I had a chart of what needed to be done and my family all chipped in... then crossed off what they did. It worked out great! But I did'nt start any of it till 8 weeks out. Its been almost three years since my OHS and my family still chips in to help. :)
You got to rethink & redirect your whole system for taking care of the house after OHS because you have to come first.
Try using a chore list . Hope that helps !! It worked good for my family. :)

Chore list is a good idea.

Have you got any meds from the vet for your dog? Salazopyrin maybe, or something like that, depending of course on what is causing the diarrhoea?

I don't remember, how old are your kids? Are any of them old enough to help with chores? With my stupid back, I've had problems with bending ect for few years As for mopping, I finally got one of those steam things (haan sp?) and it is so light and so much easier than mopping.
The more you do now that you probably shouldn't the longer your recovery will be, maybe if you tell the family that, the more they help now the faster you will be back to "normal" it might help.

she is not throwing up... she has liquid poop and it keeps coming out. I did the best with I could with my hands and tried mopping. I will just leave the rest for hubby when he gets home. I just wanna be normal again. I have 5 kids and a husband who works. How are things supposed to get done? I can't afford a cleaning lady although I have checked into it. How do all you moms do this during recovery?

You've got to get your husband to really clamp down on those kids. I'm not joking. Your doing things that you shouldn't be doing until after 6 months at 7 weeks. I think you should have stayed at your moms. ;)

This is why I get so frustrated with people that have surgery and then boast about how well they're doing at 6 or 8 weeks. Not everyone does recover like that, in fact, most don't.
Not that I wish anything bad for these people, but they are not the norm. For most of us, it takes MONTHS.

Mostly we let things go until we feel better. If my fox terrier began having diarrhea, I would put her outside! Honestly, it was 5 mos after my illness began before I cleaned my bathroom floors, it was 2 mos after surgery, and it exhausted me! My husband cleaned the toilets and sinks and did the hardwood floors a couple times. I think I used the swiffer on them, that was all I could handle. Laundry was what I could do in the weeks after surgery. It's now been almost 4 mos post surgery and I cleaned my bathrooms today,it's still a job, but it doesn't hurt to do it anymore!

Laura, I agree with Ross - and you really need to be SELFISH right now. I am 5 months out of surgery and I still have trouble raking, shovelling, working full days.

You WILL get back to normal but not just yet. Hang in and I hope your dog gets better..... give yourself more time - you will be amazed at how time heals,
Dale

One of the things I was told specifically not to do was mop a floor, use a rake, anything with that sort of motion. I had a great recovery both times but it was at least 4 months before I did any moppingor even sweeping. Like some of the others, my cleaning fellow did it for us. I'm so grateful to have him. Even now 15 or so months post op, he tells me not to do anything heavy....for me to leave it for him.

Let's get to the source of the problem:
When dogs have liquid poop.....stop all food for 24 hours and let their system rest.
Then start back slowly with a small amount of boiled rice (minute rice is perfect).
Give that a couple of times a day.
Many vets will give meds like Flagyl.

Let's get to the source of the problem:
When dogs have liquid poop.....stop all food for 24 hours and let their system rest.
Then start back slowly with a small amount of boiled rice (minute rice is perfect).
Give that a couple of times a day.
Many vets will give meds like Flagyl.

Depends on the reason for the diarrhoea Bina, as to whether they will give Flagyl or not.
Laura's dog might have an ongoing, chronic colitis type of condition which could call for a different method of treatment.
The boiled rice (and later adding plain boiled chicken to it) is a good idea.

Back to you Laura - please listen to all the advice you've been given and don't put your recovery in jeopardy.
Can the dog stay outside for a while, as someone else suggested?

Latest posts

Back