Mended hearts?

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michelle D

I was wondering if anyone is involved with mended hearts? I feel like volunteering might be nice, when I was visited by an old man that had OHS after I had surgery I wasn't thrilled, I was desperate for a shower and wasn't in the mood for visitors but I'm wondering what else they do?

Michelle, I just joined a few months ago, and today had my final training as a Mended Hearts visitor before I start making patient visits next week. Basically, you can join just to have a support group if you want -- we meet monthly, have talks about heart issues, and lunch in the hospital cafeteria. You can volunteer to be a certified visitor if you want to. Have to go through the training that all hospital volunteers go through, and then extra orientation for the cardiac section.

I will be accompanying veteran visitors my first few visits, then be on my own. Basically my understanding is that you take a smile and a packet of information to those who want visitors and don't overstay your welcome. (I received a heart pillow from a MH volunteer 5 years ago, but at this hospital, they put the pillow on the patients' bed as they go from the OR to ICU so they will have it early if they need it.)

The idea of the visit is to be there to let them know you have been through OHS if they want to chat a bit, and perhaps have a few questions. But I'll know a lot more in a month or do. Yes, I am nervous starting this -- have never done anything like this. But I wanted to give something back.

Everyone tells me Mended Hearts is a fine organization and that is what I am finding. I would recommend it to you if you have a chapter in your local hospital.

I was cranky when the visitor came to my room and he stayed too long talking to me about Jesus. I am a non-religious ex-Catholic so this was kind of aggravating and imposing. But I do not fault mended hearts for this one person, I think the idea of it is great. I'm going to school for mental health counseling and I'm considering when I have my own practice to specialize in grief and post traumatic stress disorder, I want to focus on people dealing with health issues and their families. I think I needed counseling those first few weeks and I'm sure most people do. But there's only so many days my husband can get off of work to drive me to appointments, I want to counsel people in their own homes if needed. But I think being a visitor for mended hearts would be something I can do while I'm still in school.

That volunteer was out of line. A visit is supposed to be about being a good listener as much as anything, and being an information resource. A volunteer is not supposed to impose his or her own religious beliefs. I would think your visitor was not at all typical of MH, Michelle.

Mended Hearts

Mended Hearts

I had a very positive experience with a Mended Hearts volunteer post-op. I planned to join the organization after retiring and moving to Arizona last June.

Life being full of unplanned twists and turns, I found myself continuing my school administrator career as the principal of a low performing middle school on the Gila River Indian Reservation... just can't seem to resist taking on new challenges. I've no time for volunteer work now.

At some point, I'd still like to be a Mended Hearts volunteer. Maybe when I actually retire.

-Philip

mended hearts

mended hearts

Hi there,I just joined the "mended hearts" group here in Ireland.There is no training as such.I went last friday with two men who have been doing this voluntary for years.Frist we met with the pre op people who were in for their pre addmission morning of x-ray,bloods etc. They were delighted to meet us and chat and see the "life after" proof :)
then we visited people on the ward post op.I felt we were of less use and help to this group really.
donna

When the guy from Mended Hearts first came by I was not receptive (I can be grumpy when not feeling well:redface2:) ... he did not stay long and said he would stop by later, he did ... the information was helpful but one thing that I was please with was the time he spent talking with and explaining to my wife what she might expect ... after I had recovered I contacted the group about becoming a volunteer but decided my schedule would not permit me to make the commitment that it would require ... I do hope to fit it in before I retire but I will have to see.... way to go SuperBob:thumbup:

Hi there,I just joined the "mended hearts" group here in Ireland.
<SNIP>
Frist we met with the pre op people who were in for their pre addmission morning of x-ray,bloods etc. They were delighted to meet us and chat and see the "life after" proof :)
then we visited people on the ward post op.I felt we were of less use and help to this group really.
donna

After my CABG (Coronary Artery BYPASS Graft), I didn't want to see ANYONE for a couple of days so I can definitely relate to your experience.

To my mind, contacting future patients BEFORE Surgery is the best way to help.
I knew several people who had had CABG at our local hospital and all did well which helped me to feet 'somewhat' comfortable going in.

Again, to my mind, websites such as VR.org provide a GREAT Service to 'Newbies' facing their first surgery, offering guidance as to what to expect and reassurance that "if we can do it, so can YOU".

VR volunteers need to understand that MOST (80-90%) of OHS patients are there for Coronary Artery Bypass Surgery which is a less complex surgery to the (external) coronary arteries vs. actual invasion of the heart for Valve Repair or Replacement. While Valve Replacement Patients typically come out in Better Condition than when they went in (after recovery from the initial insult to the body), Coronary Artery Bypass Patients often take longer to recover. Cardiac Rehabilitation is especially helpful for CABG patients.

Note that Opening and Closing the Chest are the same if access is by Sternotomy.

'AL Capshaw'

The process may differ from one Mended Hearts chapter to another, but I was told just yesterday that our Visitors visit patients both pre-op and post-op -- only if a visit is wanted, of course. It is coordinated through the Cardiac Rehab program.

When the guy from Mended Hearts first came by I was not receptive (I can be grumpy when not feeling well:redface2:) ... he did not stay long and said he would stop by later, he did ... the information was helpful but one thing that I was please with was the time he spent talking with and explaining to my wife what she might expect ... after I had recovered I contacted the group about becoming a volunteer but decided my schedule would not permit me to make the commitment that it would require ... I do hope to fit it in before I retire but I will have to see.... way to go SuperBob:thumbup:

FYI, Just to let others as well as The Chimp know, you can join Mended Hearts without having to become a certified Visitor. Our chapter meets once a month for lunch at the hospital, has a short business meeting and hears a speaker on health topics. Dues are minimal -- $20 a year makes both my DW and me members. We also went to a night baseball game together, will help with the Heart Assn's Heart Walk next month, and do something together at Christmas. There was no pressure at all to become a Visitor -- obviously not everyone has the time to do it. I gather that only a minority of our members are Visitors. I have the will to do it but not yet the confidence that I will be good in that role. Could always opt out and still be a participating member of MH.

Since Michelle open this thread asking what Mended Hearts does, thought I would just mention for those who might look in on the thread that there is also a terrific associated program called Mended Little Hearts. It's for parents of children with heart defects or heart disease.

http://www.mendedhearts.org/mlh/frame-mlh.htm

They also have a terrific Facebook page.

There are a few very good CHD groups. Some parents like Little Mended Hearts, others not so much.

I think to be a decent hope for others going through surgery I first need to be less bitter about my own. My surgery was great but I still have problems myself with accepting that I had to go through it and all these little complications. I have a tip never ever say "you look great," or "you are doing so well." I always wanted to respond "well I feel like crap.". Just wanted to let you know just in case you come across cranky people like me.

I think to be a decent hope for others going through surgery I first need to be less bitter about my own. My surgery was great but I still have problems myself with accepting that I had to go through it and all these little complications. I have a tip never ever say "you look great," or "you are doing so well." I always wanted to respond "well I feel like crap.". Just wanted to let you know just in case you come across cranky people like me.

Thanks for the warning, Michelle. We've been told that not all patients may want to be visited -- certainly will abide by patient's wishes. Will try to be a good listener if anyone wants to talk or ask questions.

We belong to Mended Little Hearts and have had a good experience. It's a small, nice group. I haven't done any hospital visiting, though I was able to meet a mom who was expecting a truncus baby. Sadly the baby passed away just shy of 2 months, but we talked a lot before Gwen was born and I think I was able to help them get through the hospitalization and surgery. We are still good friends, and we have a connection that I can't describe. I have found that all support groups are different. I have also found support from an online group specifically for Truncus families, but there is something about meeting others in person. My husband and I had no heart support when Gabe was diagnosed and it was terrifying, we felt alone. I think from a visitation standpoint visiting before procedures would be wonderful and encouraging.

As for the regular Mended Hearts, I had heard that most patients are Bypass patients, and sometimes adults w/ CHDs or other heart issues wouldn't fit in. We do have an adult CHD patient (who also has a baby with a CHD) in our MLH group, he has good insight into things. So MLH may be an option for the adult CHD patients in search of a support group.

I joined Valvereplacement.org for my SUPPORT group. I kicked everyone out and would NOT watch there videos including the Rehab lady and the Pharmacist. I didnt watch TV till that Saturday after my surgery which was on a Wednesday. I politely listened and then basically thanked them right away and they left.

Lordy, Michelle, you've been through such a rough time, you're allowed to be crabby. I was crabby for weeks (months?) after MVR. My husband says now I was severely depressed. I certainly had PTSD. You're probably experiencing some of the same. YOU ARE ENTITLED! I recall you're already on some meds. They'll help, but for some of us it takes a while to get past all this trauma!
I agree with Robb - VR is the best support group I could ask for.

Again, to my mind, websites such as VR.org provide a GREAT Service to 'Newbies' facing their first surgery, offering guidance as to what to expect and reassurance that "if we can do it, so can YOU".

Al Capshaw you are totally RIGHT. Each one of us in this room are VR volunteers. We are here to offer help to the 'Newbies' facing the most difficult time of their lives and to others who are facing other heart or any other health issues. I truly believe that all of us here are the greatest resources.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back