Made it to the other side! Happy to be here...here's my experience (thus far!)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

T in YVR

Well, I made it. After some false starts I got the call on Monday and they told me I was 'next up' on Tuesday Oct. 1. So I am now 3 days post op. I am feeling pretty good, but it was not without a few hiccups - literally. Here's my experience with it. Hopefully it helps others that are waiting.

Day 1:
At the hospital at 6:30am. I was anxious and excited to get it done, but not afraid. Hospital staff at St. Paul's were awesome. They make you feel very comfortable every step of the way. The surgeon is top notch and seems to get accolades at every turn from people he works with. Just an amazing surgeon. Everyone kept saying that "He was the only one they would want to operate on them". Very funny guy too. I asked him how he was doing when I saw him about an hour before the surgery and said he was "ok, but pretty hung over, but should be ok for the surgery" :D the ICU nurses laughed when I told them. They said he recently did a heart transplant and joked with the team that he hadn't done one in a while, but if he gets stuck they can just look it up on Wikipedia. Helps loosen the tension....

They knocked me out in the surgery room - not before entering. Quite the high tech theater. Kept thinking of that Seinfeld episode with Junior Mints. (Google it if you dont know what that means - its on youtube. very funny). Surgery lasted 2.5 hours. However they brought me to the ICU afterwards and saw a bit too much fluid/blood draining so 1 hour post op they took me back into the OR an opened me back up (2 for 1!) Everything looked ok, but they had to give me platelets to improve my clotting a bit. They were able to avoid having to do a blood transfusion though. This is exactly why they keep you knocked or for a few hours post surgery - in case they have to go back in.

Woke up pretty groggy from the surgery but in good spirits. They gave me ice chips for dry mouth and slowly took water with pills. Learned very quickly that any water shortly after surgery can be a bad thing with the anaesthesia. Got horrible nausea and threw up and realized how much that little chest pillow becomes your best friend. Incredibly painful. Gravol helped ease this. They took all oxygen off of me about 6 hrs post op. My O2 efficiency was 96% which was good. Coughed up stuff from my lungs which they said was expected and good - the need to practise coughing can be a bit painful though. Also, not sure if it was some combo of meds, water etc, but had about 6 short bouts of hiccups. My god they can be painful little body jerks after AVR.....slept about 2 or 3 hours on half a sleeping pill.

Oddly enough they did not shave my whole chest pre surgery. Just a strip where the incision area was going to be. I woke up covered in the reddish/pink sterile cleaner they put on you...forgot about that part.

Not much of a sleep that night but that's to be expected. The ICU team was wonderful and extremely attentive.

Day 2:

Moved to cardiac ward and out of ICU after about 21 hours (late the next morning). The Dr in ICU looked over all my vitals and they were all exceptional. He asked the nurse jokingly if I had surgery yet. The day started high and felt good, but finished low and felt tired with more pain. Lots of hydromorphol (dilotid) and Tylenol. Also had morphine on day 1 but not day 2. Slept about 5 or 6 hrs after a full sleeping pill. Chest tubes came out First thing today. The pain level dropped off significantly when they pulled those out. I didn't realize they have about 7 or 8" of tube inside you. Had some bruising and pain by the neck IV in the jugular when they removed it. Got up and did some marching on the spot and a few other basic movements, but no walking yet. Too hard with a catheter.....

Day 3:
Best day yet. They tell me I'm making great progress. Still a fair bit of pain in the top of the incision and in my neck and shoulders. I find it painful at the base of my neck/top of the incision when getting in and out of bed. Also hurts a bit by the breathing tube holes. The drugs are helping though. Catheter out (a huge relief) and 3 laps of the cardiac ward today and some exercise training. INR is too low: 1.2. They started me on Coumadin but are also using heparin as a bridge until the Coumadin kicks in. My incision leaked a bit so needed to be redressed since its still an infection risk. Can't handle visiting people for more than an hour before getting tired.

My resting heart rate started off in the high 60's/low 70's but is now in hi 80's/low 90's. No beta blockers yet but they're considering it

I've had no effects of pump head from what I can tell. Memory and concentration seem ok, other than being very tired at times.

I'm absolutely convinced that my health/fitness level going into this is helping me on the recovery side.

It turned out I had a true bicuspid valve (originally thought to be functionally bicuspid with 2 of the 3 calcified leaflets) My valve is an On-X 25mm. I can sure hear it click, but I think I'll get used to it. Sure hope so...! I would not want to do this again with tissue in x years. 1 and done, but its a personal choice.

Hopefully the recovery continues to get better.
Tony

Reactions: Amy
So good to see you made it with relative ease! I appreciate all the info you have given us. Our people are our best resources. Thank you for taking the time to do this.

Your welcome! Everyone in the hospital that I spoke with has no clue about VR.org. I told them they need to add it as a reference source in their patient guide book.

Made it to the other side! Happy to be here...here's my experience (thus far!)

Glad to know you are doing great! Congratulations, and take it easy! The body will perfectly recover, but it needs time...

Congratulations! You will get used to the clicking, I have the same valve, the noise does get better. Just hear it when I roll over in bed in the morning now, by then it's time to get up. You will do fine, take it easy, one day at a time.

Glad it went well...knew it would...CONGRATULATIONS...!!!!!! One and done....same for me.......my INR now stable at 2.4 to 2.5...only test once a month.
Once you get home....do what my surgeon suggested to me....walk....walk... walk... with in a month I was up to 4 one mile walks per day.:thumbup:
I was walking so much in the hospital...that they told me that was enough!!! LOL!

Last edited:
You seem to be doing great. I definitely remember the drinking a whole glass of water experience after waking in ICU. Worst tasting water ever, and it all comes back up within an hour or so. Your braver then me with regard to the pulling of the tubes. I looked away and never seen them again, so no idea how long they were.

Hope your pain situation continues improving. It used to hit me hard each day after 6 or 7 hours of sleep. I'd ring the nurse first thing for more pain meds and since the first night seemed to take awhile. The next several I'd grab a tylenol from my bags and take one first, then call the nurse for pain meds.

Next time I think I may pack a few of those tiny bottles of scotch as well.

Congratulations! It's all better from here on out. Keep mending and keep us posted.

Nice going, Tony! It sounds like you're on the "classic optimal" recovery path. Hope it stays that way for you and that you continue your fast track back to everything you want to do.

Well my recovery continues to go fairly smoothly, but has had a couple small bumps in the road.

Day 4:
bandages off and pacer wires out with no issues. All my vitals are good. Everything seems to be healing on schedule. Did the stairs, and many laps of the cardiac ward and felt fine. Every since late on day 2, my heart rate has been hovering around 98-108 bpm and won't go down no matter how rested I am. Pre surgery my resting heart rate was around 55-62. They have me on a beta blocker (metoprolol) to keep it under control. I sure hope this changes...do most people just go on a BB briefly and then stop for good? I have not had any Afib. My INR is still low - around 1.2, so they have me on more heparin until the coumadin kicks in. Mostly taking Tylenol 3 with codeine now for pain. Having a hard time sleeping on my back. It is a never ending struggle to find "the latest most comfortable position". All in all a decent day and was told I was looking better all the time.

Day 5:
Slept 7 hrs last night which was good. Man they take a lot of blood...they now have more of my blood in vials than I do in my body I think! Some nausea this morning and a heart rate spike to 120. More metoprolol :-( and they have given me drugs to get the bodily functions going. This oughta be a fun day....pain is getting better...not sure if I check out tomorrow or not. Staples coming out today and can shower! They tell me that my INR range will be 2.0-3.0 and that I will supplement my Coumadin with a baby aspirin. Do most other people with an On-x valve have this? They told me they go 2.5-3.5 for those with mitral valves done as well aortic.

My surgeon just walked in as I was typing. He said that its not uncommon to need the beta blockers since your heart is used to working harder and used to holding a larger volume of blood so your heart rate may temporarily be higher. He said its possible, but unlikely to need a beta blocker for life or a really extended period unless you have/had high blood pressure before surgery. He figures I will be off it after a relatively short period of time, so we'll see how it goes.

Tony: I am 6'0"...186 lbs. I take 7.5mg of Coumadin twice a week (Monday & Friday)...on the other days I take 5 mg Coumadin.
I take 4 baby aspirin each morning as well...the equivalent of one adult aspirin. My INR is locked in at 2.4/2.5 for the last three months.
I only check INR once a month at a lab.

Keep up the positive attitude

Keep up the positive attitude

Tony, thanks for the updates. It is so very useful to see what others are going through. My day is Tuesday so your posts are so very timely!!
Positive thoughts coming your way for an easy transition home!!
Best, Claire

Well I am unfortunately posting a couple more days from the hospital. Nothing too major but I've learn some things that may be useful for others (hopefully this is not too much info - just thought some of the details may help others):

Day 6:
I realize everyone's situation is very different but I have to think that if you are having 1 or more mechanical valves put in, you have a more significant chance of a longer hospital stay **depending on how soon your INR stabilizes in its range**. I am still at around 1.3 and they need me at 2-3. So I have my heparin drip going (not too easy to do stair exercises with an IV+pole on you 24x7!). They say I may be out by Tues. My heart rate is still high and am still on beta blockers. All else is good.

I developed a hemotoma (pooling of blood outside artery) near one of my drain tubes. It's painful and they say may take a month to go away. They say they are an uncommon occurrence.

Attitude means so much: a guy in his 50's came into the ward next to me yesterday. He's 4 days post op. He was flown into the hospital - had an aneurysm rupture (!) and also needed aortic (bicuspid) and mitral valves done - big time emergency. He should not have even made it. I know its hard (don't we all), but the guy is bitter, angry, rude. He had the same surgeon as me and he's even abrupt with him (great guy!). I don't know...I'm counting my blessings if I'm him even if its alot to take on.

Tony -
I am so pleased that they got you in quickly after your postponement and that things went well!! Sorry to hear about your hematoma, but from all of your posts I am sure you will conquer that soon too. Really hope they get your INR stabilized soon and u get to go home. Thats whats keeping you in, my mum had a heart attack lasy year and had a srent put in, it took 2 weeks to get hers in line. But shes much older and had many other complications also, you sound like you're doing great!

I was annoyed enough by the telemetry machine I had attached to me in hospital,all the wires, it was like a brick taped to me,I called it my 1997 cell phone, hope the heparin drip comes off soon and u will be so much more comfortable. I was thinkin of you while i was in hospotal, wondering if you had your new date yet. I remember those drainage tubes coming out too, they had a new nurse training who did mine, they hurt quite a bit and then he said a suture had slipped in there....I dont really know what that meant but i remember the feeling of the corrugation of the tubes goin thru me!

I can sure relate to what u said about attitude. I am convinced it was what got me thru this. When i got to ward from ICU, there was an 80 yr old woman whom i shared my room with who was determined and upbeat, she wasnt going to let her mitral valve repair get her down no matter how she felt. Having her beside me was an inspiraton. When she left, they brought in a 34 yr old woman who had had emerg pulmonary valve surgery. Poor thing, she had had no time to prepare either, but she just seemed to want to wallow in self-pity. I know its different for us all, but she cried and cried, broke my heart, i tried so hard to comfort her and let her know it gets better, I so hope her experience did.

Tony -
I am so pleased that they got you in quickly after your postponement and that things went well!! Sorry to hear about your hematoma, but from all of your posts I am sure you will conquer that soon too. Really hope they get your INR stabilized soon and u get to go home. Thats whats keeping you in, my mum had a heart attack last year and had a stent put in, it took 2 weeks to get hers in line. But shes much older and had many other complications also, you sound like you're doing great!

I was annoyed enough by the telemetry machine I had attached to me in hospital,all the wires, it was like a brick taped to me,I called it my 1997 cell phone, hope the heparin drip comes off soon and u will be so much more comfortable. I was thinkin of you while i was in hospital, wondering if you had your new date yet. I remember those drainage tubes coming out too, they had a new nurse training who did mine, they hurt quite a bit and then he said a suture had slipped in there....I dont really know what that meant but i remember the feeling of the corrugation of the tubes goin thru me!

I can sure relate to what u said about attitude. I am convinced it was what got me thru this. When i got to ward from ICU, there was an 80 yr old woman whom i shared my room with who was determined and upbeat, she wasnt going to let her mitral valve repair get her down no matter how she felt. Having her beside me was an inspiraton. When she left, they brought in a 34 yr old woman who had had emerg pulmonary valve surgery. Poor thing, she had had no time to prepare either, but she just seemed to want to wallow in self-pity. I know its different for us all, but she cried and cried, broke my heart, i tried so hard to comfort her and let her know it gets better, I so hope her experience did.

Good luck on your recovery!

ps - no hiccups here, but the water barf for sure, and then burping, omg burping for days :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back