Made it to the other side! Happy to be here...here's my experience (thus far!)

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A few other observations thus far after 7 days in the hospital.

At St. Paul's (and maybe elsewhere), the # days you are in the hospital re: progress and milestones does not count the surgery day. They start the day after. So even though I have been here 7 days they count me as "day 6".

The center of my chest is pretty yellow from the bruising. Should fade soon. I have some numbness at the top of my incision. That's normal they say, due to muscles being cut, and will go away.

No bed sores but your backside can certainly get itchy and red from lying down so much. A good anti itch cream may not be a bad idea.

I'm uneasy about sleeping on my side even though they said I could. I tried it 2x and my rib cage made a very small cracking sound like when you crack your knuckles. Once I can side sleep, nights will get way easier.

I felt good yesterday re: pain and sleeping and cut out the sleeping pill altogether and only took minimal Tylenol. Well, this caught up to me last night ad today. Pain was up quite a bit (felt like big, tight, aching knots in my chest) and has taken time to get back under control and sleep was very light. Next time I would take what they suggest even if things seem ok.

My flexibility has gotten much better very quickly, especially in my arms and my range of motion.

If I had to do this again (hopefully not!) I would pack a short extension cord with me to the hospital. Depending on your hospital setup and age, it's a pain to get to the outlets for your IV machine, phone, iPad or other electric devices. They are quite often in hard to reach places.

Laughter may be "the best medicine" but too much can sure make your chest ache. Keep that little chest pillow handy :)

Made it home after Day 8 in the hospital. I was delayed a bit until my INR was in range. It took a bit of time. I also had crazy intense pain on day 7 in my upper left chest over my heart and directly behind this area in my back. They sent me for X-rays and did some others tests. All came back negative. The surgeon thinks they cracked a rib (other than the sternotomy itself). He said this happens with very high regularity. I also get some pain/numbness in the same area just beside the incision - feels like a muscle tissue thing. Nice to be home now. Walked 1.5 kms today which felt good. Will gradually be stepping it up a bit tomorrow if feeling well.

Woohoo congrats!!! Being home is such an important psychological step - when you're out of the hospital you are definitely no longer allowed to consider yourself 'sick' - now you are on the next stage, called 'healing the sternum'. Enjoy being home!

Latest posts

Back