Looks like surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hi dave
on tuesday this week i was told i to would need surgery after having an echo ,he beleives i have severe mitral valve regurgitation i am 45 now was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when i was 21, since the shock of being told i have somewhat gone to pieces worrying about everthing ,i can see the positive side but there is the risk i just cant get my head past ,i have now got to have a down food pipe echo to confirm it and if its confirmed which the doc said is almost certain then he advises surgery before i get symptoms as once the heart is damaged u cant go back, they are looking to hopefully repair my valve, but as i said i am in pieces at the moment
best wishes
Dean

Hi Dean and welcome.
I was also diagnosed with a murmur in my early twenties and then I had surgery when I was 45. I had serious symptoms for a long time before I submitted to the surgery and now I wish I had it done sooner. Get a couple of opinions and when you have the TEE results, let us know. Best wishes.

Hi Dean, I don't know if it will help you, but it helps me to think that these operations have become practically routine with thousands of people successfully undergoing them.

You're so right... they're very routine for the surgeons. It's just not so routine for us... which is something I think they sometimes forget ;):rolleyes:

As I saw someone else post in another thread, we're asleep for the operation and we either wake up or we're oblivious to any other outcome, so why worry.

So true! I think I'm probably more worried about how my nearest and dearest will cope than I am about myself.

At the hospital, the PN, the discharging nurse, and the written instructions (I was given before discharge) recommended sitting in the back seat for the first 3 weeks!

Ummm... any suggestions for when you own a 2-door and getting in the back seat involves all sorts of contortions..? :eek: I'm thinking I might just have to slide the front seat waaaaaaaaay back and see how it goes (maybe even lay it back a bit too).

A : )

Hi Al, I'm still getting the hang of communicating all these numbers. The 67 was the gradient, i.e., 67mmHg, I mistakenly made it a percentage figure. I do have a bicuspic aortic valve, and I'm curious what additional ramifications you have in mind. Anyway, after I get my second opinion from the other cardio, then I'm sure to follow-up with a nice long discussion with the surgeon (who I haven't picked yet). Any thoughts on what I should make sure I ask the surgeon?

Dave

One more clarification is needed for the Gradient number,
and that is whether that is the Peak Gradient or Mean Gradient (i.e. Mathematical Mean or Average, not nasty :)

Since you have a BAV, I encourage you to read over the posts in the Bicuspid Aortic Valve and Connective Tissue Disorder Forum.

To make that LONG Story short, there is a high correlation between BAV and Connective Tissue Disorder which often results in Aneurisms of the Aorta.

Aortic Surgery is WAY more complex than 'simple' Valve Replacement Surgery, especially if the 'damage' extends to the Aortic Arch.

Patients with Connective Tissue Disorder really need to find a Skilled and Experienced Aortic Surgeon to address ALL of their needs in ONE operation. These are typically found at Major Heart Center Hospitals.

Asking potential Surgeons about the extent of their Aortic Surgery Experience should be High on your List of Questions.

'AL Capshaw'

I note that your symptoms came on while you were running, so you are probably in pretty good physical condition. That will help immensely. If you go in with a good head of steam you are more likely to come out that way. I was reffing high school soccer until a week before the echo that diagnosed my problem after a murmur was heard. I had AVR surgery less than two weeks later. I was out o fthe hospital less than 72 hours after teh surgery and having dinner at Applebee's that night. And they let me drive in three weeks. I was reffing high school soccer 11 weeks after the surgery.

Typical recovery? No, but probably more typical of people who are physically active/running up to the point of surgery. And psychologically, having everything crash down quickly on me rather than linger for months probably was better for me, but necessarily for everyone.

Just follow your doctor's instructions, walk as much as possible after the surgery (and probably before, too) and above all, enjoy the naps! You'll miss those later.

Latest posts

Back