Looks like surgery

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveEM

VR.org Supporter
Supporting Member
Hi Folks, I started a thread a short time ago asking about what symptoms would feel like. I got some excellent advise to see my cardio soonest to address some chest tightness I'd felt. Well, looks like that was sufficient for my cardio to advise surgery. He said my condition was severe enough (67% gradiant, .6 size, and 4.1 mps flow) that with the symptom I felt from running I should get the surgery before the end of the year. So, I'm getting a second opinion on Tuesday (28th of Oct) and we'll see if the diagnosis and surgery recommendation sticks. I'm still in a bit of shock that my stenosis got so bad so rapidly after being stable for ten years. Anyone have any suggestions or recommendations on what I should look out for as my surgery approaches in terms of avoiding pitfalls, common mistakes, overlooked issues, etc.?

Dave

Dave ? I know what I felt when I got the news ? it?s kind of a kick in the gut ?. If you indeed need surgery my advice is to do it and not delay ? Some have put it off and had permanent damage to the heart ? If you trust the cardio and the surgeon I would go with their recommendation for valve choice (if you don?t trust them get new ones) ? It is not as bad as you imagine ? I was shocked how little pain and how quick I was back to normal ? As far as anything not to do ? don?t know ? just keep it simple and continue what you are doing unless your doctor says otherwise ? wishing you well.

The "chimp" is right. I can't add anything more. I was told surgery was inevitable but I could delay for a year, or even more, but at the risk of potential permanent damage if left too long. Since it was inevitable, I got it dones as quick as I could. No regrets. Best wishes and good luck.

Thank you

Thank you

Thank you guys for your encouragement! I will get my second opinion next week and then schedule the surgery for early December (this will allow my family to be home with me during the holiday break). It has been like a hit to the gut, but I'm ready to get this over with. I'll let y'all know how things go, and I do appreciate your help!

Dave

Be sure to let us know when you have a surgeon and a date. We like to put you on the calendar so we can help you over "the mountain".

I thought I was stable also and multiple echos had showed no change then suddenly my cardio was saying surgery and meaning soon. I was in the OR about 5 weeks later.

My first OHS (four years prior) I did not drive for at least 8 weeks. My cardio gave me clearance about then but I knew I wasn't ready and didn't drive for an additional week and then only short distances.

My second OHS (February, 2008), the same cardio cleared me to drive at barely three weeks and I knew I could and I safely did so.

My only point is everyone truly is different and some of us are different from one surgery to the next. I had same surgeon, same patient, same hospital.....different healing. My second was easier on me than my first. Go figure!

Good luck. The wait really is the worst part.

Dave,

Severe deterioration may happen sometimes overnight, as I was told by one cardio. I myself was stable from 1984 until 2002 when I was warned surgery time was approaching. In November 2007 I had a stress exercise test and my cardio asked me to continue my normal life. My body told me not to...so I stopped my strenuous exercise and I am glad I listened to my body not to the doctor. My humble advise would be to listen to your body and to avoid any exercise that may exert your heart...rather be safe than sorry. You will have all your life ahead of you to do anything you like after the surgery.

Good luck:)

"I'm still in a bit of shock that my stenosis got so bad so rapidly after being stable for ten years."

As the saying goes around here: "The worse things get, the faster things get worse." I was "stable" from 2004 to 2007 then this year's echo showed what I consider to be a substantial progression of my stenosis, so I'm liable to be right behind you. I have a consultation with a surgeon scheduled for November jus tin case.

I'm glad that you're getting a second opinion, Dave, and that you're proceeding with scheduling surgery. You have a lot of friends here that you can depend on. Keep us posted.

JIm

My first OHS (four years prior) I did not drive for at least 8 weeks. My cardio gave me clearance about then but I knew I wasn't ready and didn't drive for an additional week and then only short distances.

My second OHS (February, 2008), the same cardio cleared me to drive at barely three weeks and I knew I could and I safely did so.

I wasn't allowed to drive for about six weeks either; I questioned my surgeon about this and she told me the reason was even a minor fender bender, if it triggered the air bag, could --- as she said --- "mess up all my good work." :)

Out of curiosity, was that what was meant by "safely" drive --- safe for you?

Good luck. The wait really is the worst part.

Let me chime in with the rest of the group in affirming that you will feel much better after the surgery, at least I certainly did! And I also found the waiting before the surgery to be the worst part by far.

I wasn't allowed to drive for about six weeks either; I questioned my surgeon about this and she told me the reason was even a minor fender bender, if it triggered the air bag, could --- as she said --- "mess up all my good work." :)

Out of curiosity, was that what was meant by "safely" drive --- safe for you?

Let me chime in with the rest of the group in affirming that you will feel much better after the surgery, at least I certainly did! And I also found the waiting before the surgery to be the worst part by far.

What I mean by 'safely drive' is the same anyone means by that under any and all circumstances. Safe to be driving a vehicle on public roads.... safety for driver and all others.

As to air bag...... Were you permitted to be a passenger in a vehicle? How did you get home from the hospital? Most vehicles have passenger air bags. Some people say they sit in the back seat for 8 weeks but no one as Mass General either of my surgeries ever suggested that was necessary nor did my cardio. Few who have had recent OHS take silly risks, but just living is a risk. Usually when I was in a car for the first 8 weeks post op, I placed a throw pillow between my chest and seat belt. Would that have made any difference with an air bag? Don't really know.

hi dave
on tuesday this week i was told i to would need surgery after having an echo ,he beleives i have severe mitral valve regurgitation i am 45 now was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when i was 21, since the shock of being told i have somewhat gone to pieces worrying about everthing ,i can see the positive side but there is the risk i just cant get my head past ,i have now got to have a down food pipe echo to confirm it and if its confirmed which the doc said is almost certain then he advises surgery before i get symptoms as once the heart is damaged u cant go back, they are looking to hopefully repair my valve, but as i said i am in pieces at the moment
best wishes
Dean

Welcome Aboard Dave!

If you haven't got a copy of your Echocardiogram Report,
I recommend that your do so (and any / all other tests as well).

Looking at your numbers, I'm *guessing* that your Ejection Fraction is 67% which means that 67% of the Blood in your Left Ventricle is pumped out on each Heartbeat. That is in the upper Normal range and may be a sign that your Heart is beginning to compensate for pumping against a stenotic (not fully open) valve.

Gradients are a measure of Pressure Differentials across your valves, typically in units of millimeters of Mercury (mmHg).

By "size" I'm *guessing* that the 0.6 number is the effective Valve Opening Area in square millimeters (mm^2). Many Cardiologists and Surgeons use 0.8 sq cm (or less) as their 'trigger' for recommending Surgery.

Since you are seeking a second opinion, this would be a good time to get that opinion from a Surgeon. Once you are diagnosed, there's not much that a Cardiologist can do for you (other than prescribe medication to help alleviate your symptoms until you get FIXED which means Surgery).

I'm *assuming* you do not have a BiCuspid Aortic Valve (BAV) which can have additional ramifications and is best addressed by a Surgeon with experience in that area.

At this stage, the most important thing for you to do is find a Surgeon you are confident in and comfortable with.

Best Wishes,

'Al Capshaw'

....... Were you permitted to be a passenger in a vehicle? How did you get home from the hospital? Most vehicles have passenger air bags. Some people say they sit in the back seat for 8 weeks ..... Usually when I was in a car for the first 8 weeks post op, I placed a throw pillow between my chest and seat belt. Would that have made any difference with an air bag? Don't really know.

At the hospital, the PN, the discharging nurse, and the written instructions (I was given before discharge) recommended sitting in the back seat for the first 3 weeks! When I visited my cardio after 3 weeks, he cleared me to sit in the front, with a pillow to protect my chest. So, having the pillow does help and protect

I was cleared to drive after six weeks only short distances ---no highways before 8 weeks!

:) Good to hear I didn't lug that pillow along needlessly.
Thankfully, we had no mishaps but I used the pillow for comfort as well as any small measure of protection it might provide in the event of an accident.

As for the seat belt question, I was advised to sit in the back for 8 weeks (after which I could finally drive...:))- and also to put the cross-chest part of the seat belt behind me. I was restrained only by the lap part of the seat belt- but we really didn't go far!

Welcome Aboard Dave!

Gradients are a measure of Pressure Differentials across your valves, typically in units of millimeters of Mercury (mmHg).

I'm *assuming* you do not have a BiCuspid Aortic Valve (BAV) which can have additional ramifications and is best addressed by a Surgeon with experience in that area.
'Al Capshaw'

Hi Al, I'm still getting the hang of communicating all these numbers. The 67 was the gradient, i.e., 67mmHg, I mistakenly made it a percentage figure. I do have a bicuspic aortic valve, and I'm curious what additional ramifications you have in mind. Anyway, after I get my second opinion from the other cardio, then I'm sure to follow-up with a nice long discussion with the surgeon (who I haven't picked yet). Any thoughts on what I should make sure I ask the surgeon?

Dave

shock

shock

hi dave
on tuesday this week i was told i to would need surgery after having an echo ,he beleives i have severe mitral valve regurgitation i am 45 now was diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse when i was 21, since the shock of being told i have somewhat gone to pieces worrying about everthing ,i can see the positive side but there is the risk i just cant get my head past ,i have now got to have a down food pipe echo to confirm it and if its confirmed which the doc said is almost certain then he advises surgery before i get symptoms as once the heart is damaged u cant go back, they are looking to hopefully repair my valve, but as i said i am in pieces at the moment
best wishes
Dean

Hi Dean, I don't know if it will help you, but it helps me to think that these operations have become practically routine with thousands of people successfully undergoing them. For me the scary part is more the recovery and how I'll feel rather than fear of the operation. As I saw someone else post in another thread, we're asleep for the operation and we either wake up or we're oblivious to any other outcome, so why worry. It doesn't quite make me feel better, but it's a good point, anyway. It does help me considerably to know all these folks in the Forum helping us out all survived the operation or are in the same boat as us. Stay strong!

Dave

Latest posts

Back