Looks like I need reop

Valve Replacement Forums

Help Support Valve Replacement Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zztimeout

Ohan I am so scared. I had surgery on thursday morning and they replaced aorta root and did a valve sparring. I am 5 days post op.. Can lift three balls and hold them for 2-3 sec and can go on walks ect. My breathing is still swAllow and I am not getting rid of the fluid. Cadio saw me today and went for a ct scan and having a toe test (that's what Australia calls them.. U swallow a camera). She said after those tests they will know if it's a clot or fluid and we may have to go back in th chest to clean you up... Surgeon said it's only usually overnight in ICU. That part was really making me upset cause it looks like I have to go through this all again.

Give me strength guys cause I need it in this time... I am in a pretty dark place at the moment.

Thanks
Dave

Dave, that's a real bugger, but you got through the first bit and will get through this too. It took me about four days to start losing the fluid - didn't happen til i could really walk around. Remember the doctor only said 'may need to go back in', not 'will'. And if they do, then you can't say no. You just have to go with the flow, accept it and know that in another couple of days, you'll be back on the ward and moving forwards again.
Hang in there. Will be thinking of you.

It's better that this was discovered so soon after your original surgery, and can be fixed quickly. It must not be a good feeling right now, but think of the positives for the future!

Dave - I'm with Cam. Better that this is dealt with now, rather than 4 or 5 weeks from now when so much more healing has taken place.

I didn't lose all of my excess fluid for weeks after surgery, even with increased lasix dosage. I also ended up back in hospital for a few days to sort it out. Not the way I wanted to spend my time, but after the second hospital stay I really gained speed in recovering.

Hang in there. You've already done the rough part. This is just touch-up.

Sorry to hear. Sometimes nothing goes right. O mighty God, give Dave the power and strength to get get through this. Amen.

You will be fine. Make sure you let us know what is going on.

Dave, you may want to read this thread http://www.valvereplacement.org/forums/showthread.php?36111-Blood-Clot-or-Infection about member Penny but also with Kim and Norma Jean posting about having TEEs or reops while it is little solace you are not alone and it sounds like your medical team is on top of it so while we all jooin Nelson in prayer your jobis to as said above ...face eachhurdle one at a time. For me the fluids built up over sucha long period that once the IV lasix were started I lost over 40 lbs over three or four weeks .......I was just too naive to worry so just faced it all one step at a time and had a great team that guided me through it reminding me that it was NOT THIER FIRST TIME AT BAT that always helped me and hope it helps you .........I would never wish anyone face the length and compications of my odessey but am glad I am alive to tell the story ....Godspeed and put faith in your God and Team

Hoping/praying for the best for you, Dave. Sounds like you've got an attentive medical team there. Hopefully they won't have to go back in but if they do, you'll be back on the road for recovery soon, and in better shape to go forward from there.

I am thinking of you as well. It's OK to feel scared, I would be too. Maybe there is someone there you can talk to regarding your feelings (like a chaplain or trusted nurse).
I'll be sending positive thoughts your way.

Dave,
We are here supporting you buddy. Hopefully you will not need the re-op, but if you do then now is the time to take care of these issues and get this thing fixed for good. Let's take the attitude that you get this thing taken care of and then every day is a day of healing and getting stronger and better until you are back to skiing and doing the things you love without thinking about this issue. Our strength is with you Dave.
Best,
John and thousands of others

Dave,

After 2 weeks at home, I had to go back in for a thoracentesis. I had so much fluid. Doc drained 1200cc out of me and I have been getting stronger each day. Try to stay positive. I am praying and sending positive energy your way. God bless.

Jeri

Well had the toe test and they said a clot is pressing against the mitral valve... she said it's common for this to happen fOr guys of my age... I have been fasting since 9pm last night so I am starving. They will go into the chest again lter today to clean me out and maybe put some drains in lungs. Those who are in Australia it seems that I will miss the State Of Origin tonight.... Go Queensland !!!!
Love yas all
Dave

Why would you want to watch that rubbish anyway? At least down here we play REAL footy. I won't say good luck because you won't need it. You'll be fine. Talk later...
Alli

You promised beers last week. I'm holding you to it.

Glad they caught the fault before you were discharged. We are with you!

Back